Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I saw a thread in which an ISFP said she felt hurt by the anti-sensor bias on this site...and that is sad, because no one should have to face insults and rejection here, where they are looking for understanding.

It's time to start some conversations about what we intuitives love and appreciate about our sensor friends. So I am posting a thread like this in a couple of N forums...

What do you love and appreciate about your sensor friends?

I love how attentive sensors are, because attentiveness often feels like love. Many people don't devote their attention to really listen to others, but sensors who care about you, really do. I feel loved when they listen and remember exactly what I said in past conversations, and bring it up later on. They observe you carefully, so they notice what is normal for you and anything that deviates from that (therefore can be very sensitive to when you need cheering up). They are often willing to help out in practical ways. They notice the things I need to notice but am oblivious to, and point them out to me. They are so good with detail work, whereas I'm better with 'big picture' work.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
Oh, ISFPs, how I love thee... let me count the ways. Wait, how do you count to infinity again? ;o)

Anyway, what I appreciate the most from my sensor friends is their passion for whatever it is they're into. They can put their whole heart and soul into their art, or music, or hobby, or job. They can get enjoyment from the here and now. Or at least a strong sense of fulfillment. SJs get a lot out of their jobs. SPs get a lot out of their hobbies. And I can usually live a little vicariously through that, since I don't really get any fulfillment or joy from work or even my hobbies. I'm always in my thoughts, thinking of the past or future, what was and what could be. And most of my sensor buddies keep me grounded.

Not to mention they're usually really handy when it comes to physically doing things, like fixing things or cooking. I fumble around and zone out if I'm not careful, lol. Thank goodness for microwaves or I'd have probably burned my apartment down by now, setting something in the oven and then forgetting it by going to watch YouTube or something.

·
Registered
629 Posts
The closest person to me that is a sensor would be my brother. (ISTJ)
Nearly every other person I am close to in life is an N...and pretty much every person I dislike or have had a serious personality clash with is a S... :/ Huh. (Didn't realize that before...)

SO. Let me list all the good things about my brother.

He can remember crazy insignificant details that I never can, like where a specific memory of mine took place, or exactly what age we were when it happened. It's a great balance to my emotional memories, because he can actually put them in context.

He is very accurate when telling stories or relaying facts. And if he's wrong for some reason, it's not because he didn't pay attention- it's because his information was simply wrong. He is very truthful and factual and hard to argue with!

We call him a walking reference book. He can take any incident and compare it to something else he has experienced. This makes him absolutely hilarious, by the way, because he can reference anything at any time. Including long, accurate reenactments of comedy routines, TV shows or anything else for that matter. This in comparison to me, who says things like, "I heard the funniest joke today..." and then can't remember any of the joke...

He gets to the point and is easy to listen to because he doesn't go off on rants. Except for when he rants in facts...like, "Yesterday, when I was downtown, on 16th and Main, between Starbucks and the bank, at 6:32 PM, when I was wearing jeans and a red shirt that I got at Hollister on June 14th, 2010..."
Okay, maybe that's a little exaggerated. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a very dear ESFP friend, and she is absolutely amazing. She keeps my head on the ground. She's always down to do everything and anything. She's very observant, but not in the same way that I am, opting for some incredibly intriguing conversations. And I agree with @seastallion, she may seem to be the type of person who's not bound to pay attention for long, but you'd be surprised with how attentive they can be to the fine-tuned details that even you would hardly notice about yourself. She's got good ears for listening, but I do admit, you got to be with her one on one.

I also have a close ESFJ friend and I love that she's absolutely reliable. Though we tend to clash when we work together or study together, at the same time, we've shared great laughs. She keeps my competitive side entertained. She has great ideas to point out when I fail to see them. She'll see the details that I miss. Though I'm not fond of how she is sometimes quick to judge or has a bit of an ego when it comes to admitting when she's wrong, I can say that she is absolutely loyal, and brilliant, and kindhearted. She was the first friend I made when I moved, and till this day, she proves that friendship can last, something that many others had proved otherwise.

There is something very charming and loveable about the Sensors I know, and something precious in the things I learn from them.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Do you iNtuitives travel in packs or something? Once I've found one of you I may have found a gold mine. :laughing:

I have to be honest and say that my iNtuitive friends are the only ones who can get me to see a different perspective of something and try something new. I'm very thankful for them.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have to laugh at some of the responses, because I thought I might be rude saying it... but now I don't and feel in the same boat.

Anyway, what I was going to say is...

I don't have any sensor friends.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Their ability to live in the moment so easily. I have to put in some effort in order to do that. I wish I could do that naturally. I'd probably be more than half as stressed out as I can be. Or less than half. Half than more? Less than normal. Wait...less than half as normal.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Recently I saw a thread in which an ISFP said she felt hurt by the anti-sensor bias on this site...and that is sad, because no one should have to face insults and rejection here, where they are looking for understanding.

It's time to start some conversations about what we intuitives love and appreciate about our sensor friends. So I am posting a thread like this in a couple of N forums...

What do you love and appreciate about your sensor friends?

I love how attentive sensors are, because attentiveness often feels like love. Many people don't devote their attention to really listen to others, but sensors who care about you, really do. I feel loved when they listen and remember exactly what I said in past conversations, and bring it up later on. They observe you carefully, so they notice what is normal for you and anything that deviates from that (therefore can be very sensitive to when you need cheering up). They are often willing to help out in practical ways. They notice the things I need to notice but am oblivious to, and point them out to me. They are so good with detail work, whereas I'm better with 'big picture' work.
I like how when I'm at a point where I'm stumped, my Sensor friends will always have an idea that I would never have thought of.
They keep me from over thinking the obvious.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I know that ST's have often been mean to me (arbitrarily singled me out for harassment).
But I don't think that S's are bad, I have a very good ESFP friend.
I like them.

It's just that they tend to misunderstand and scoff at us Intuitive-Dreamers at times because we're going to the beat of a different drummer.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I feel really comfortable around them (might be a function of our friendship more than their Sensorism[?] though), in that I can sort of relax and think at ease without being expected to really carry a conversation or activity because they'll happily pick up my slack. They're just basically better at doing things than I am lol. I don't necessarily always like it but I benefit from some reality every now and then. Also, some of the girls are rather interesting :blushed::kitteh:.

Some of them are kinda fucked up though o_O

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Most of my friends are sensors. ESFP, ISFP, ISFJ. Some of my really best friends are N though. I just find that sensing people help me enjoy the moment and make my scary and negative thoughts go away. Sounds good right?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Finding this thread has made me very happy! I often feel self-conscious around Ns, especially NTs, because I don't feel like I have much to contribute in terms of novel, deep thoughts.

I enjoy listening to and trying to further understand one of my friends in particular. I truly appreciate that he shares these thoughts with me; I really value the new ways of thinking he presents to me.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Art is the first thing that stands out to me. I do some artwork, but feel like I'm more creative and imaginative...but not very skilled, unfortunately. Probably because it's harder for me to connect to my physical senses. I've been, admittedly, very jealous before of some Sensors' artwork. They definitely know how to manipulate objects better than me and usually have a better eye for detail in their work.
And I like them getting me up to move, of course! :p They can keep me active and help me to be more adventurous.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't really have any sensor friends (or any friends, for that matter. :rolleyes:) but I have a couple sensor acquaintances I quite like. One is an ESFP, she's very kind and bubbly and light-hearted, and even when she's having a bad day she still manages to put on a smile. Another I'm not too sure of her exact type, but I'm thinking she's ISTJ. I find that we have a good way of balancing each other out, she's very analytical and grounded, where as I'm very creative and have my head in the clouds. Yet, we don't clash when we work together, rather, we compliment each other and produce great work.

To be honest, though, I find many sensors difficult to click with, and even harder to become close to. It seems that most don't like how I'm so "up in the air" all the time rather than on Earth where I belong. But to be fair, it's not like I've really clicked with any other intuitives, either. There's only two, one is very extroverted and outgoing and has a large circle of friends, and I just feel I'd be imposing and not needed if I tried to become good friends with her. The other would be my ex-best friend who I had to doorslam due to being neglected.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts