Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I hear or read that phrase, I can't help but think: "What a stupid thing to say, how can you not take life seriously?"

Is life a joke? Is mortality a joke? Is it some kind of slacker creed?

Actually, I'm sure it's advice that I and other INTJs (and others like us) could use. So, what does the phrase mean to you? (anybody, that is :confused:).

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think it just means to lighten up in general. Y'know, not to sweat the small stuff too much, to enjoy life, and not to spend all your time working like crazy or getting angry over every little thing that's wrong with this world. Enjoy yourself. Laugh at the stupidity of people and life (because it's pretty funny) while respecting it and loving it at the same time.

That's how I take it, anyway.

·
Banned
1,858 Posts
Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.

What Apdenoatis said. ^

What's the opposite of a joke.. A sad tale? .. Sometimes you just go towards humor because it makes you feel better and why not? Oh, all the problems in the world. Happy or sad, they're still going to be there. Hhmm, the more I get into this, the more it sounds like ignorance is bliss. But, that's not where I intended to go. Bad stuff will happen. We have to deal with them in a good way. If we let the bad things phase us too much, if we take life too seriously, then that's not really living.

·
Administrator
15,099 Posts
I don't always like it when people say stuff like that. It kind of reminds me of when people say things like "smile more."

But for me, this message means that you should not let the dark side of life eclipse the true meaning of life which is a combination of both the dark and the light. Don't take life too seriously because if you do you are missing the rest of it. Much of life is about the tiny, soft, easily crushed things--focusing on the crushing will not bring them back to life. Appreciating the tiny drop of dew that alights on a flower is just as valuable as contemplating the slow destruction of a mountain. They are very different, but they are both important.

Still--that doesn't say anything about the seriousness of life. I don't think people are literally meaning what they say when they say "don't take life so seriously." maybe they are saying, "take life seriously enough to lighten up." or maybe they are saying "I'm worried about you, please be happy." or maybe they are saying "dude, don't judge me because I poured lighter fluid on my dick and lit it up for the fourth of July--I freaking love burnt hot dogs."

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have to take life seriously. I don't think there is any other option for me. Life is serious because it has consequences for what happens after death in the next life. That is a core belief of mine. I am not going to defend or explain it, but that is the main reason.

Another reason is that during this life some terrible things can happen to you if you are not very careful.

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
My dad yelled at me once for not taking life seriously enough. >.<

The way I see it, this is your life, right now, so enjoy it. Don't worry about or put too much effort into stuff that doesn't matter. If you spend your whole life unhappy and stressed out because you're too serious, you're wasting your life.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Apdenoatis@unINFalliPle@Raichu

If by small matters you guys mean some stranger spilling a drink on my new suit, or someone bumping into me while he's getting out of the train, then I agree; these are totally things that should just be brushed off.

But keeping up with current events, I'm always reminded of ongoing wars, potential wars, ignorance, tribalism, global warming, etc. Like
unINFalliPle mentioned, maybe ignorance is bliss, but I can't help but feel like a parasite if I decide to be ignorant. Maybe it's the feeling of helplessness that nags at me sometime. Now that I think about, getting off my ass and volunteering may be the solution.

@
meltedsorbet

Thanks, I really liked what you said. Maybe it's shitty things in the world that make you appreciate and take advantage of the good things in life, like burning dicks on the fourth of July >.>

·
Banned
1,534 Posts
@Apdenoatis@unINFalliPle@Raichu

If by small matters you guys mean some stranger spilling a drink on my new suit, or someone bumping into me while he's getting out of the train, then I agree; these are totally things that should just be brushed off.

But keeping up with current events, I'm always reminded of ongoing wars, potential wars, ignorance, tribalism, global warming, etc. Like
unINFalliPle mentioned, maybe ignorance is bliss, but I can't help but feel like a parasite if I decide to be ignorant. Maybe it's the feeling of helplessness that nags at me sometime. Now that I think about, getting off my ass and volunteering may be the solution.
Volunteering is good. Getting worked up over stuff you can't help isn't.
Like, global warming is bad, but don't just sit there thinking about how bad it is. Do what you can-- recycle, paper instead of plastic, whatever-- and don't worry about it the rest of the time. You don't have to be ignorant, but you don't have to dwell on it, either. That doesn't do anyone any good.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
That as my first thought also, but now I look at it differently.

I think it means: Dont be serious 24/7, because living that way will cause you to overlook great experiences, and opportunities, in life.

Some people think that you have to be "serious" to be competent, or productive, and they use this as an excuse to be tense, and stuck up at all times.

I used to be like that, but Ive settled into a pretty laid-back approach to life.

Reactions: an absurd man

·
Registered
359 Posts
The OP makes a good point. I wouldn't say don't take life too seriously, but I would say don't always take other people's criticisms of your life seriously. But then again my motto is, "You have to break a bunch to scramble a few." So what do I know?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
To me it means to not worry about everything, specially what one can't change. To remember how to enjoy the little things, take a pause, enjoy good food, nice bath, sunny days, and so on. Is what I'm worrying something really important? Sometimes, we just make too much of a big deal over less important things.

(oh and I'd really need a nice comfy bath, a sunny day and Summer breeze... holidays~~ well it's almost weekend so guess that will do :p *dreams at work*)

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I hear or read that phrase, I can't help but think: "What a stupid thing to say, how can you not take life seriously?"

Is life a joke? Is mortality a joke? Is it some kind of slacker creed?

Actually, I'm sure it's advice that I and other INTJs (and others like us) could use. So, what does the phrase mean to you? (anybody, that is :confused:).
1. Life has expiration date.
2. In most cases one is unable to tell exact timing of death.
3. Shit happen all the way.
4. Quite awesome things happen on the way as well.
5. As one gets older he will become more and more aware of 1. and 2., and if he takes life too seriously he'll have harder time dealing with those.
6. So, it's best to accept 1.,2. and 3.; focus on 4th and do your best to enrich it.

To me, there are no rules how I should live my life. Well, there are actually bunch of sets of rules that are mutually contradicting each other, so I create my own rule: to not follow rules that imply life is serious business.

I have INTJ friend, when we talk about far future, he is willing to convince both of us he'll invent a machine to become immortal or to freeze him self so he could participate in space battles, rather than accept the fact we will both be dead. It's sad. (I'm not saying he's completely unaware of it and unwilling to accept sad reality, just saying)

It's actually fascinating that not taking something serious seriously, is more serious than if you took it seriously, yet it leads to less serious approach.
:unsure:

·
Banned
472 Posts
I've also had the same issue with that phrase. I sussed out a while ago that people can't mean it literally... it would just be incredibly stupid if they did. This thread does a good job of explaining the popular interpretations of it.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You should take certain aspects of your life seriously, but overall a lot of it is nonsense and should be laughed at. Not taking life seriously is more or less of not getting caught up in ridiculousness and pursuing your passions, learning to laugh at yourself and be humble.

I try to not take life seriously, however I work hard to earn material wealth that I need or desire, with plans to spend it on those that I care about and on myself. Everything else doesn't really matter as much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't take life (too) seriously, because for what you're worrying or fixated upon, it's not the final conclusion. And there probably be never a conclusion to the present beyond the future ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Basically, the way I interpret it is thus: don't act like you're going to live for 5000 years, indulge in things every now and then. (Within reason; as in, don't take up heroin, etc..)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Take the saying with a grain of salt, as it is too broad of a statement. It depends on the circumstances of a situation and the appropriate ways to go about handling it. Some things in life are just too critical to not be taken seriously. But don't forget to laugh, let loose, and indulge in the things that you like to do, using good judgment. Aim to live the life you want to live and learn not to let the minor stuff get you down.

·
Banned
6,664 Posts
I think it means that I shouldn't frustrate myself with cyclical thoughts. Because I am always trying to control everything but my own mind. It is basically a wake up call that every INTJ needs. heres a simple example:

-Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath borne me on his back a thousand times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!
-Come on man, don't take life so seriously.
-Meh.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts