Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What in your life do you most take for granted, that perhaps you should appreciate more?

Besides relationships, it can be the most basic things, the ability to read a book, the ability to work on something you enjoy, the ability to eat a meal. Not everyone has these privileges and I feel this is something we should take stock of.

On a larger scale, things like being able to express a political voice. There are those, even in western democratic countries who have suppressed voices for various reasons. Have you ever spoken to a politician (either in person or a series of letters) about a real issue for example?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The internet, without it I would not know as much as I do
I'll second this. It's the vehicle in which I learn, communicate and meet people. I met my best friends through WoW. It's probably the exception to the rule but you can meet people worth building a relationship over online. They live about an hour away and we've met up numerous times since first talking. In four months, I'm moving in with them as well. I can't shake the feeling we met for a reason.

However, I've rambled enough. Without the internet, I go nuts. There's always something to learn or read because of it. Many of my hobbies revolve around the exchange of ideas online as well. It truly is one of the best (and actually worse) inventions man ever devised in my opinion.

·
Registered
47 Posts
tons.

-my friends.
-walking, vision, hearing, etc.
-my writing ability. i think i suck but then i read other ppls stuff and see that i'm decent. then i forget and go back to thinking i suck.

and that i'll have to reincarnate again. buddhism is tough. someone wake me when i'm enlightened.

·
Registered
240 Posts
At risk of sounding sarcastic: being alive.

I spend so much time wrapped up in my own thoughts that I often forget that I have a physical body altogether (usually evidenced by forgetting to shave and other mundane cleanliness rituals) and when I do become aware of all my bodily functions and just how strange and seemingly miraculous my being alive is - I forget all about it after a few minutes.

Reactions: Mausi and Stelmaria

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I take life most for granted in life. I imagine so many things and feelings that I think life is the best thing to hang on to. I keep switching from one thing to the other anyway.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
..Nothing. Maybe myself.

Reactions: Stelmaria

·
Registered
134 Posts
This will sound really cheesy, so brace yourself for it: the fact that love is all around us.

A lot of times, I will get into this rut of feeling lonely or misunderstood or angry or bored or any wealth of negative emotions and I fail to open my eyes to little pieces of love that are given voluntarily. Just appreciating someone's smile or compliment or just SEEING you and recognizing who you are. It's easy to shove those things aside and stay negative, almost operating in denial.

Cheesiness aside, I also think I take my health for granted, too, and my body. I feel so connected to my mind and not to my body that I, too (like @Fodzy), forget how miraculous it is.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Time

I take it very granted, tyvm

- trying to fit everything in a single moment
- doing what i *feel* like and lost in it while time moves on
- reliving the times i had by intuitively scanning for similar occurrences today
- taking wholly what it brings and sometimes forgetting to thank it like the moonlight, super moon, saved by the bell moments, lesson of the day situations and so much more

Oh time
you rock dude

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was actually thinking about this earlier whilst doing the dishes.
I realized we take for granted so many things. Food, clothes, water, a home, etc. I was thinking how much food we waste, how we can take showers and how we have toilets of water to go to the bathroom in, while some people don't have anything to drink.
I think it's these simple things that we take most for granted, because we are so used to them. They are so commonplace for us it's hard to imagine a life without them.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I take way too many things in my life for granted. If i think about it long enough i get physically ill, i feel shame. I try and keep myself in check with valuing things that can be lost tomorrow. That isn`t always easy, life moves too fast, people are like machines, running, forgetting to stop and breathe. I just got depressed writing this down, i should be reminded more often.

·
Registered
17,196 Posts
Being alive, abusing my health with disregard for some of the things i've put into it.
That I should live with the focus of enjoying each day from how I feel that day and not be restricting myself due to a fear of the imagination of what could happen in the future.
I'm afraid of the non-existent things that I consider to be possible outcomes, then not living life in a fulfilling way.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I take my family for granted - I always find myself regretting my decision to make that fuss to a parent when I wake up the next morning.

I also take the internet for granted. Gah, almost to the point of shame.

I take health for granted as well...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My wife. I've ranted about her a few times but it would rip my heart out to lose her.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts