Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At work, co-workers often ask me how I am doing, etc. and I always answer with a curt, "I'm fine" which 50% of the time is untrue. I am sure this is part of the whole Fi thing but my question is, do you often hide and lie about your feelings to people who aren't close friends?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Of course, for me. It feels right to hide my feelings, like no one else should know them. All I want is to know and help other people's feelings, not for them to know my own. In a way, I feel, if they know how I truly feel, how I really think, I'd be 'weak'. I guess it's normal for infps to feel that way :p.

I guess it's just who I am to lie about my feelings on the spot. For example, when I hear arguing, I get so angry but I hide my feelings about it. Whenever someone asks me if I'm ok, I give a huge smile and say cheerfully, "yup!" When really I want someone to talk to as a friend, not a therapist, or a parent, or a stranger...just someone who could understand me. But since I can't really find someone(besides the people on here-I love you guys :D) I hide my feelings. No one should know how I feel, right?

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I usually answer something along the lines of 'laughing so hard my bellybutton fell out' or 'still alive'. Flat stare. Monotone voice.

Incidentally I am never in a good mood when anyone asks, the first one is sarcasm. I used to answer 'fine', but even though they don't care when they ask and we both know that I can't bring myself to say it anymore. I used to lie all the time, now I'm honest but in a dull enough voice no-one cares.

I rarely get asked anyway. On the rarer occasion I am happy I'll reply 'I'm good' and flash a smile, but I can't remember last time that happened.

When I get a close friend I like to think I'll be more honest, but it's so natural not to be I don't know.

·
Banned
3,960 Posts
Yeh, I used to do that a lot, but now I sigh with a "I have had better days" (but I am braver and will carry on) kind of thing...
Before, if I did express my emotions totally, I would actually cry. :/

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I always say "I'm fine", sometimes it's true and sometimes it's a lie, but it doesn't even register whether I mean it or not because it's a phrase that's on autopilot and just comes out. The thing with co-workers and bosses is that
a)If you're not close or if you even hate each other, what's the point of saying "I'm feeling depressed", what are you gonna do? Have a conversation about it? Probably not, and if you say that it's like you're forcing them to pretend they care which they really don't. So in this scenario I say I'm fine in order to spare both of us the incomodity of having to talk because I know they're just asking to be polite,
b)What if they genuinely care? I had a boss once who was the most tender, most amaaaaazing woman in the whole word, and she wanted a friendship with me and always asked personal things, but I just refused to open up. Although I was willing to talk about my life outside of work, such as my classes at uni and some of my hobbies, I didn't want to talk about certain other hobbies or my family, and I feared that if I opened certain doors, she would want access to others. For example, if I went to work upset about family matters, and she asked "How are you today?" I would lie and pretend I was fantastic because I knew that she cared so much about me at a personal level that if I said "Not too good today, but let's get to work anyway" she would literally sit me down and don't let me get to work until I had told her all my woes, and she was also the kind of person who gave unsolicited advice, which I dislike.

So, it's tricky. I have this rule when it comes to the work place where no matter how much the other person cares about me and wants me to vent and they'll be happy to listen, there are certain areas of my life that I don't want to mix with other areas, does this make sense?
I don't know why I am so secretive/private, but I just have nightmares imagining my co-workers or boss stepping into my family life, or my spiritual beliefs, or I dunno... lying is better, keeps everyone and everything in their right place, keeps away possible drama.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The answer to the question how I am doing is always too short or too long. So i tend to launch one of my allegedly funny stereotyped answers.

On of them is "i am still alive"

The other one was "quite well considering the circumstances" but to my surprise that always led to people asking about those "circumstances"

I recentely got a new one "functioning adequately according to design parameters"

·
Registered
289 Posts
My typical answer is "pretty good". A more honest is "decent", but I'd rather not have them ask anything more so "pretty good" suffices better.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
When my teachers ask I just say "Yep" with that "Why wouldn't I be?" face even if I'm not.
When my friends I'll be like "Yeah but sometimes...." or "Why wouldn't I be?" with a blank stare if they just randomly came up and asked xD
With peers I don't know well I'll just stare blankly and go "Yeah...?" really slowly xD And probably give them the impression that I'm dumb xD Hahahahas xD

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I usually don't say "I'm fine". I tend to say "meh" or "not so fine". But then they're also not my co-workers, so my career wouldn't be at risk even if I'm not totally fine. Also, even when I say those stuff, conversations may not necessarily get interesting. Eventually, I also get tired of answering the "how are you?" question with any answer. The people asking me got tired of the "meh" answer too since that makes it sounds like I get little joy in life. Also, isn't it pretty depressing to realize that you yourself don't feel fine most of the time? Dang

·
Registered
234 Posts
As secretive as I can be about my feelings, I strive to give people the most honest answers even if it's a bit sugarcoated.

Back in high school though my very strong minded INTP friend would get annoyed at the prospect of people asking each other how they are only to hear a predictable answer which was about 100% of the time not true. Granted, he absolutely loathes small talk and mindless dialogue. So we had a thing where any time anyone asked how we were we answered with blunt honesty. So I'd often reply with "Mildly depressed. But I'm getting by." to no surprise most of the people who asked never asked me how I was again, which I guess is kind of sad when you think about it.

Nowadays though I generally reply with "I'm getting by." because it's mostly the truth.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
I'm a cashier and I have to ask every customer how they are and it usually happens vice versa.To most of my customers I just smile really big and say "good" in the fakest possible tone. Everyone always thinks I'm just so sweet and happy all the time,when in reality everything is usually falling apart and I feel suffocated and lonely and just fucked up. If it's a regular or someone i'm fairly close to I may say "Eh it's busy" or "tired" which really means i'm falling apart.I've been to,d i'm an emotional brick wall it's impossible to actually get me to open up about how I really feel,and I feel too much.I have a coworker i'm close/getting close to but even to her I only let her know so much and i'm still generally happy acting.It take me awhile to let someone pry me open.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Sorry for intruding where I don't belong. Anyways:

Neutral mood:
'I'm fine'
'Alive and well'
'I'm good'

Slightly pissed:
'Not good, you don't need to know why'
'Do you have a problem with me?'
'Do I not seem OK?'

Pissed+bored+sarcastic+trying to piss others+entertaining myself with them as my victim:
*death glare
'I'm good, I'm very good, I'm very, very good, thank you for your oh-so-genuine concern about my well being, I am at a lost of words to express my gratitude, may the lords be with you.'
'I was OK, until you showed up, thanks for making my day'
'Not OK, and you're the cause, now how would you like to make up for that? Which do you prefer? Slavery? Or prostitution?'
'Not OK, now pole dance for me'
'No, I'm not OK, I don't know why, DO YOU??'
'Asking me if I'm OK, are you the one that is not OK? You want me to say 'I'm fine' and ask you if you're OK right? You want to rant at me all your petty people problems and troublesome relationship issues right?? You know what? I don't give a flying **** about you and your issues, which is you!!!' *stands up and walks away while chuckling silently

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well people don't want to know true feelings unless they are happy feelings, especially at work. I've found you're considered a downer if you express any emotion other than elation. "Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone."

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I'm having a bad day, I will usually lie about how I am feeling. I usually over exaggerate my happiness with a saying like "My day was wonderful and magical" even if it feels the exact opposite. I convince myself that it isn't really a lie though, because when people say "how was your day" they are saying something like "hey" rather than " what's bothering you today?"

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recentely got a new one "functioning adequately according to design parameters"
That's a great answer. Well done!!!

I always say "I'm fine". Partly because it's a private matter, and partly because I don't want to be a burden on them to try to make me happier. I live in my head most of the time and it's not in my nature to externally express how I feel.

At home however, I do answer my wife when she asks me how I feel. It doesn't come easy, but she cares about me and it would, at it's core, be a betrayal of trust to lie to to her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts