Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?
  • I can't tell which functions I use naturally and which ones I emulate due to the situation.
  • I don't empathize with the Sensing and Intuition divide and the way those difference are often played up.
  • I use Te and Ti more than Fi and and Fe respectively but I don't know which is dominant in my personality.
  • I have a slight preference for Ni and Se.
  • I don't relate to members of the types that I observe.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?
Permanence > impact. If something ceases to exist without lasting impact then what was its purpose?

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.
When I feel charged with purpose. I know what needs to be done, how to do it, and can execute it well. The feeling of everything temporarily coming together. That bizarre psychic state of "being in the zone".

4) What makes you feel inferior?
The opposite of the above.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)
If it helps me progress to where I want to go. If the result is worth the initial cost of energy. If I'll be content with the outcome, whatever the outcome.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Try to find the main goal. Roughly sketch out my understanding of the process, the way to reach it, how much lee-way I have with experimentation. I prefer to have control over the process and the outcome can be evaluated in relation to it.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?
My labs. Generally speaking, seeing how things I've read or studied in lecture connect to the work I'm doing. I don't have anything more specific.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)
Reading and trying to grasp the underlying principle > Watching an example > Hypothesizing > Trying it out myself

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?
Depends on how invested I am. If I'm really invested, then I'll put in the time for setting up an efficient and functional system of organization. If I don't care overly much then I'll wing it.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?
"Does it makes sense?" followed by "How is it supported". Am I only allowed to choose one?
Sometimes I can read or hear something and immediately realize that something's off and that I don't like it but will need to take time and "map out" the exact why.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?
I place my own state of congruence slightly above the group's but will monitor both for conflict. I'll immediately take steps to minimize my own but will wait on the group to see if they can resolve it without my aid.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?
Think before speaking. Sometimes to the point of never speaking. Groups because I can fade in and out of the spotlight at will.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?
I prefer to know where to jump but I have moments of daring every know and then. I think that either one can undermine the other.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?
Depends on what kind of mood I'm in, what they're planning on doing, and if the show's pre-recorded.
If I'm agreeable to the first two and the third is true then I'll join them for a few hours and leave when I get tired or bored.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?
Introvert strongly. Cull external distractions. Try to find the source(s) and resolve them. Sacrifice design for function.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?
Unaware of themselves or the world around them. Bumbling about and being obnoxiously loud about it. Learned helplessness.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?
Our respective fields of study or careers. If people are willing to dedicate their lives to it there has to be something that they find extremely fascinating and infectiously enthusiastic about.
The absurdity of life.
The best and worst of human nature.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life
I'm not very attentive to my relationships. I don't pay attention to politics and other polarizied conflicts. Occasionally I tune things in my environment out. Sometimes on accident, sometimes not.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?
They'd say I'm pretty reserved. Introverted. Some would call me shy because I don't initiate conversation and contact often but I strongly disagree. Good problem solver. Helpful, considerate, and goofy when I'm in a good mood.
With the exception of shyness, I'm fine with those perceptions.
They would never call me smothering or overly excitable.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading, cleaning, exercising, napping, planning the rest of my week, working ahead.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And if anyone is having difficulty typing me, feel free to tell me why.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I read your post a while ago and was kind of stumped on it, so I didn't respond.

Re-read it trying it again and noticed that last question of your interests and a lightbulb went off for me.

It was just kind of difficult to figure out your type because that type doesn't post very much on here trying to figure out their types, but it's ISTJ, and I can see it now.

Not sure if you are familiar with the functions. I'll assume you are a little bit.

When I feel charged with purpose. I know what needs to be done, how to do it, and can execute it well.
This is very much Si. Si is very duty-oriented, purpose-driven and wanting to do a job well.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?
Try to find the main goal. Roughly sketch out my understanding of the process, the way to reach it, how much lee-way I have with experimentation. I prefer to have control over the process and the outcome can be evaluated in relation to it.
That sounds a lot like Te...planning, scheduling, mapping out the process of how to accomplish a task.

You speak a lot of being strongly introverted, thinking before speaking, which points to the Si being dominant and the Te auxiliary.

I prefer to know where to jump but I have moments of daring every know and then. I think that either one can undermine the other.
The ISTJ has inferior Ne, so they would be prone to occasional moments of daring, as you describe it. ISFJ is also this way. Particularly if they experience a lot of newness or don't know how to do something, they can be much different and a bit "zany."

Your manner of communication is very direct, to the point (in your writing), not elaborating a lot. Most people who fill out these questionnaires elaborate a lot, going on and on about themselves. An ISTJ isn't going to be that way. Very matter of fact, to the point. Very scientific-oriented mind. When reading it I thought "Wow, sounds quite robotic. Didn't reveal much about themselves at all. Hard to say what they are." But re-reading it I can see the Si and Te.

Especially look at question 20:
20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?
Reading, cleaning, exercising, napping, planning the rest of my week, working ahead.
Very stereotypically it's the Si types who will say they are into cleaning. An ISTJ stereotype is their cleanliness and every ISTJ that I know is clean and organized (at least compared to other people.) An ISTJ may not think of themselves this way, because they tend to be perfectionists. Exercising is common among both Si and Se types. Dominant Si types are well-known for loving to take good care of their bodies. The planning is typically associated with Te types. Working ahead, being responsible is common for Si types, who tend to like being responsible. Very common that an ISTJ will take a "work first, play later" approach to life most of the time.

So I think you are ISTJ if that helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read your post a while ago and was kind of stumped on it, so I didn't respond.

Re-read it trying it again and noticed that last question of your interests and a lightbulb went off for me.

It was just kind of difficult to figure out your type because that type doesn't post very much on here trying to figure out their types, but it's ISTJ, and I can see it now.

Not sure if you are familiar with the functions. I'll assume you are a little bit.

This is very much Si. Si is very duty-oriented, purpose-driven and wanting to do a job well.

That sounds a lot like Te...planning, scheduling, mapping out the process of how to accomplish a task.

You speak a lot of being strongly introverted, thinking before speaking, which points to the Si being dominant and the Te auxiliary.

The ISTJ has inferior Ne, so they would be prone to occasional moments of daring, as you describe it. ISFJ is also this way. Particularly if they experience a lot of newness or don't know how to do something, they can be much different and a bit "zany."

Your manner of communication is very direct, to the point (in your writing), not elaborating a lot. Most people who fill out these questionnaires elaborate a lot, going on and on about themselves. An ISTJ isn't going to be that way. Very matter of fact, to the point. Very scientific-oriented mind. When reading it I thought "Wow, sounds quite robotic. Didn't reveal much about themselves at all. Hard to say what they are." But re-reading it I can see the Si and Te.

Especially look at question 20:

Very stereotypically it's the Si types who will say they are into cleaning. An ISTJ stereotype is their cleanliness and every ISTJ that I know is clean and organized (at least compared to other people.) An ISTJ may not think of themselves this way, because they tend to be perfectionists. Exercising is common among both Si and Se types. Dominant Si types are well-known for loving to take good care of their bodies. The planning is typically associated with Te types. Working ahead, being responsible is common for Si types, who tend to like being responsible. Very common that an ISTJ will take a "work first, play later" approach to life most of the time.

So I think you are ISTJ if that helps.
So this is interesting because I don't think I've ever got this before but your explanations were convincing enough for me to contemplate it over washing the dishes. (The humor of which wasn't lost on me.)

And to be honest, it's not outside the realm of possibility. I seem to go back and forth between giving Te and Ti impressions but I've always been so partial to the focus pair of Se & Ni that I never really gave Si > Ne much consideration.

And apologies for the abrupt questionnaire. I've done two other ones (Enneagram and Socionics) so my interest in elaborating was running low.

But what I especially liked about your analysis was that it gave me another out for a problem I've had for a while. Namely that everything and everyone seems to want to type me as IxTP or xNTJ but I don't really identify with dominant or auxilary Ne or Se and Ni, at least without a well developed extroverted judging function, kind of annoys me.

I definitely want to look into this more. Would you happen to have any resources in ISTJs that aren't too affected by stereotypes?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a lot of stereotypes out there. In my signature, I have a website I've made and there's a description of ISTJ (among other types) on that page. That's just mainly a compilation of ISTJ descriptions I found elsewhere on the Internet. Also, I have a test on there, so you could see what type you test as, but I trust evaluating a questionnaire over any quiz, but I did try to make as accurate of a quiz as possible, trying to get to the heart of the functions.

Michael Pierce on youtube has some good information, and he's very unbiased. Primarily what I learn comes from analyzing the people that I know, and also by watching how they are, looking for patterns and similarities.

I've found that the ISTJ type is the most scientific-oriented in their thinking. They are thorough, detailed, meticulous, and practical, going wherever the evidence leads them. As an INTJ I've got a lot in common with the ISTJs, but many of the attributes commonly associated with the INTJ type better apply to ISTJ. INTJs can be rather hasty since details tend to bore them.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'm more of a lurker in this particular forum because I don't consider myself better at typing someone than they are themselves, even if I find it interesting to make a calculated guess, keep it to myself and await the final decision...

From the limited information that can be pulled from these questionnaires, I do think ISTJ is a possibility you should at least look into, though I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if you're a letter different somewhere :)

Sadly I can't point you towards one description online that I think is going to be more helpful than the rest; It may well be my perfectionism and need for accuracy at work but there's usually a line or two which doesn't particularly fit. The main issue seems to be the lack of understanding of the motivation behind the actions, and the problem with ISTJs in that respect, is that one ISTJ may not always choose the same action as another, but their motivation will be the same. Often, the stereotypes that make ISTJs sound like robots totally miss the reasoning and amount of thought that goes on before the action.

I digress... @eb44345 makes some useful points. I just wanted to highlight the following as well.

Sometimes I can read or hear something and immediately realize that something's off and that I don't like it but will need to take time and "map out" the exact why.
This strikes me as a beautiful definition of dominant Si. That immediate prod in the ribs that something isn't quite right leads to the characteristic caution often described in ISTJs. The lack of trust in that 'gut feeling' causes you to evaluate the source of the 'feeling' and find the logical steps hidden in the subconscious that came to that conclusion.

Aside from that, I always felt that if you think there's a possibility you could be an ISTJ, I'd recommend spending some time in the ISTJ part of the forum and seeing how you fit around it. Lurk a bit, ask questions as you see fit and see how you relate to those who post in there (I'm assuming here when you said you didn't relate to those you'd observed that these were types you'd considered previously?)

Oh, and if it helps, when I haven't tested ISTJ, it's been INTP, ISTP or INTJ.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.