Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you look at something, what do you see? Not just the sight itself but what you can observe about whatever it is you look at. What feelings does it bring up in you if any?

You can list anything you deem relevant, such as another person, a flower, a landscape, etc. This is supposed to be fairly open-ended so lemme know what you come up with and what you really see.

And as always please list both your MBTI type AND your Enneagram type, thanks:wink:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I usually don't look at stuff for very long. I see things in the corner of my eyes that seem like other things, like my cat, or people. Then I look and it's a pile of trash or something.
If I'm directly looking at something I probably try to see how it's useful and what it would be like to use it. When I see some things I imagine how easily they can be destroyed. I always imagine how easily I can destroy things, like break windows with bricks and bats. I wonder how in the world do we survive? All these cars on the road, and we're flying 70 MPH on our phones. I don't spend a lot of time looking at things really, unless it's exceptionally beautiful, other than that I'm uninterested. When I do take the time to examine something I think of historical things, like their origin. I try to compare modern day ways of life to historical, or future ways of life. Comparing a car to a horse and carriage. Thinking of how cities were in the past, and just the thoughts and concepts of a city itself. I love looking at skyscrapers and downtown cities. Actually, that's one thing I love to look at, is cities. They just look awesome to me and symbolize so much. Just all these people. Like wtf. I also like maps. I just looked at some old looking books on my living room shelf and thought things like "It's interesting that people read books in the 1800's" I looked at a vase just now and thought of egyptians. Looking at stuff is weird. The more I look at stuff the uglier and simplified it becomes. Those are things in my living room I guess. I like looking at clouds and trees and cats. I sometimes look at things and imagine how it feels on my hand. Then I touch it to see if it feels like I thought it would. I feel cool when it does. When I see a lot of technological things I think about how it will effect future generations. I'm actually very concerned about how the world right now is going to effect future generations. I'm unimpressed by visual art usually, unless it looks extremely realistic then I'm like wow I can't believe they drew that.
INFJ type 4

·
Registered
INFP 4w5
1,285 Posts
Hmm... I'm in a freeform mood, so let's see.

I should start by saying the things that I do see are not necessarily the things that I have seen before nor the things that I will see in the future, and yet there is a thread of similarity that ties it all together inherent to me as a person, independently of age, mood and circumstances. Though the thoughts, observations and ruminations that are stirred by the sight depend on my thoughts and feelings at the time, so too can my thoughts and feelings be influenced by the sight. It's a curious interplay.

Let's say, for example, I look at a person. I might observe their dress, their facial features, their body language. The way they carry themselves, the things they are doing. First impressions may only be first impressions but one can glean rather a lot about another individual by measured observation and intuitive perception. I will wonder to myself: what is their emotional state, do they seem rushed and harried as so many do, are they miserable, are they full of the joys of life, are they impassive, closed even to themselves? Do they even know themselves? It strikes me that everyone is the protagonist of their own life story; how do they experience themselves? How has their life shaped them as the person they are?

There are similarities and distinctions both in personality and in physical appearance. How can it be that so many people from disparate backgrounds can be so similar as human beings? However, is that similarity only on the surface level, dropping away the further one goes? Are the differences downplayed for the sake of social interaction or for another reason? Are they truly inconsequential? Though that could never be the case as without accentuating our individual differences we could never achieve a sense of identity as a social creature. I think about the beautiful perfection and symmetry found in most living creatures. I consider the miraculousness of consciousness and how little we yet understand about it. My thoughts sometimes drift to the physical; how their bodies are formed, perhaps how attractive I consider them. How they relate to themselves, how they think of themselves both physically and otherwise.

Or perhaps let's take, for example, a desktop computer. I do work in IT, so I see quite a lot of them. Even though they are more or less commonplace, if one looks with deliberately fresh eyes then there is rather a lot to see. I consider the progress of technology through the ages and my own mixed feelings on the subject. Technology itself is a direct result of the innate human desire to learn more about the world and about themselves, and furthermore to leave their mark on the world. It is a cyclic, perpetual desire and integral to the essence of life. How many great discoveries mathematical and otherwise must have been made to make this a reality yet they are now commonplace and taken for granted except by the few. What did those scientists hope to achieve with those breakthroughs? What frontiers are there that yet await us as a people?

I am excited by inventions and the novel because the routine is predictable. I thrive on the unknown, on the different and mysterious. To read about scientific discoveries is one thing but every time I look at a PCB I can only marvel at the intricate details, the delicate construction down to individual nanometers, the transistors, the whole thing. How many peoples' inspiration must have gone into such inventions. What hopes did they have for the future? What do we intend to do with this purposeless drive that propels us towards infinity? I know that technological advancement at its current rate is not sustainable yet I also believe that the desire to advance as it reflects on aspects of the human spirit is noble.

One thing that always relaxes me is looking at bodies of water. It is always in a very simplistic sense yet the feeling is somehow indescribable. I just gaze in wonder at the reflections and the simple beauty of the sunlight as it sparkles on the water's surface. Even though I have grown up around technology and am hopelessly in love with the potential it represents, I am always at my most inspired while outdoors and it is in nature that I feel most at home and at peace. I chuckle at the irony, and wonder over how many millions of years must this innate love of all things natural have evolved.

I sometimes wonder what life would be like were we living on an alien planet. What if humans were born on a terraformed planet some hundreds of years in the future, never knowing life on Earth as we know it? If a seven-year-old were to stare wistfully at the Earth's most verdant pastures in a historical picture book, would his (or her) soul yearn for the home that he never knew?

Of course, I don't always think of this many things, nor always these things in particular. But they are all thoughts I have had, more than once. Though I am not beyond seeing the detail in what is in front of me, the physical always seems to act as a springboard to the symbolic and conceptual.

I'm an INFP, and my Enneagram type is in my signature below.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It depends entirely on the circumstances. The majority of the time, it's almost as if when I look at something I in fact don't see anything at all, as I'm too stuffed up inside my own head (or behaving in my extrovert persona) to really pay attention to what's infront of me. It's when I am really paying attention that things start to happen.

When I'm not in the grip of a social situation or making conversation, I tend to see things slightly differently. When I look at something, perhaps when I'm on my own and feeling like myself, or while listening to music, I think about what it represents, what it symbolises. I was recently on a 6 hour coach journey, and the guy sat next to me was listening to his ipod, so I had free roam to just stare out the window, and I did so for hours, thoroughly enjoying my time of relaxation, taking every new sight in, watching the scenery as it passed by, and thinking. In this state, I'll think either about the esoteric meanings of things, what certain events represent, such as a setting sun (or something a little less cliche), or I'll instead see other people. It's when I see other humans that the focus changes from symbolism, representations and metaphors, into more down to earth things, such as what kind of person these people might be, what their personalities are like, how they will look back on their existence when they're on their deathbed, and the people that they loved or may one day love in their life. I saw a happy family walk past in the car a few weeks ago, the Dad picked up one of his little daughters as they laughed and kissed her on the cheek. I thought about that sight for quite a while.

I should state that this is only me at my best, or "best" in my opinion. When I've been forced inside a classroom to learn algebra or trying to satisfy society's arbitrary social conventions and rules I find that this all falls out the window and my mind goes into a thoughtless state of vegetation as the world passes by, and I'll think of nothing at all.

EDIT: My enneagram tri type is 5w4 4w5 9w8, but I'm not 100% sure of whether or not this is correct for myself.

Reactions: OrangeAppled

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, seems like the INFs have responded. ^^ I suppose I'll take a shot at this, then.

I like to take walks on our property. I live in the country, so there's quite a lot of it. It's very hilly and there are many trees and then some clearings that are flat and meadow-like. Very beautiful. Sometimes I will be thinking (actually, a lot of the time I will have been thinking about something which is why I wanted to walk in the first place) and the hills and the grass and everything just kind of worms its way into what I am thinking about. Or I'll just be so caught up in what I am thinking about that I'll appreciate how wonderful the wind and atmosphere feels.

But sometimes I just walk outside. When I see the hills I don't just think and see "hill". Rather, I do see that, but that isn't what I focus on. That fades to the background. Everything that is happening and everything that is surrounding me hits me all at once, you could say, and I simply feel that and enjoy it. I feel like I "see" and "feel" everything all at one time. It's just like a lot of threads from all different directions come together, and I see the whole thing. I don't know exactly what I "see". That's a strange word for it. I know what I "feel". I wonder about it all.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. ENFP. 6w7, 1w9, 2w1. ^^

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I admit I don't notice a lot of things in day to day life. I feel like I go through life in a bit of a daze at times. With that said...

Sometimes I'll just happen to stop & notice something very simple, something that is always there, like the sky, and it will strike me. Maybe it's the beauty of it or the vastness of it, but there will be some quality about it that manages to pull me into the present for a moment. I suppose I see some representation of life & love & all those significant themes rattling around in most people's heads, but I tend to feel the significance more than to verbally realize it. By "feel" I mean a mental atmosphere shift, not an emotion nor a rational evaluation. That mental atmosphere shifting immediately takes me from the moment again, and then I begin to consider those "significant themes" it spurred in my head. It's less analytical than I might be normally though. It's more like simple, but significant realizations. A lot of times, these realizations are applied to me more than anything universal, but other times they may just be general ideas about people/life/whatever.

A lot of times I feel sad or slightly pained when I see things that are really striking. These things leave me more at peace when they're just a backdrop while I daydream & I absorb them indirectly. When I really pause & look at stuff, then I may feel wistful & almost disconnected from the world; it's like I realize how much I normally miss in life, or I'll feel sad that such beauty doesn't permeate all moments of life. I'm really struck by & drawn to visual beauty though. I like things to create a mood in me, & I like things which feel aesthetically ideal.

If I am in an environment that is particularly beautiful or interesting, then I probably will have a story going in my head that it inspired.
I may imagine something going on in the moment that is more interesting than what is really happening because sometimes I'm disappointed that the pleasantness around me is not leading to anything more. If this is heightened, then I tend to get that sad feeling, but it's more that life is empty & even the beauty in it is not very satisfying.

When I look at people, I ponder the dynamics between them, but I'm mostly picking up on vibes to do this. I consider what kind of person they are & how they are feeling in that moment. I guess I am reading people...but I focus on what their internal states & interrelations are in that moment more so than what their lives are like in general. I admit I can be self-absorbed enough to have pangs of envy or sadness if I see people really happy among others & feel that missing in my life.... When I people watch, I tend to zone in & out of observing them & thinking about other stuff. I often have emerging patterns about how people & life are like, and I'm sort of semi unconsciously noting stuff, filing it away, until the pattern becomes more complete & clearer. Then in those other moments when I'm seeing something striking, it suddenly all comes together & I have those realizations about life & people & the world & more often than not, me.

I notice what other women wear a lot...and then I just note if I like it. If it's cool to me, then I might consiser how I'd work something like that into my own look. I can be really simple when looking at fashion & art - there's a visceral response I'll just bask in for a bit, and then later I'll think more about what it means. I tend to respond to stuff that says something about me, some feeling I can identify with. It's almost as if certain things about me, how I feel, and even life/other people, have always been inside my head, but exposure to something visually striking helps me recall it & give some shape to it. To further explore these, I submerge into daydream a lot, which is why I miss other stuff going on around me.

Other times, I ponder the aesthetic details of things in terms of what I can take away from it & apply to something else. I alter the way stuff looks in my head; how could it look/be better? Why does it appeal to me or why not? I do this with a designer's eye, critical of anything functional without form or vice versa.

I'll suddenly look at things without the previous associations, removing its assumed usage & meaning, and just see its shape & colors & textures. Often, such things suddenly seem very odd or even ridiculous. I remember telling my mom once how strange it is that sunglasses, these chunks of plastic we wear on our faces to shield sunlight from our eyes, have all these associations with being "cool". I'll look at stuff that way sometimes, but more often than not I think little about individual items.

Reactions: SilentScream

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
When you look at something, what do you see? Not just the sight itself but what you can observe about whatever it is you look at. What feelings does it bring up in you if any?
I ... always notice facial expressions more than anything else --- and I always find myself asking why :/

Why is someone looking happy?
Why is someone looking sad?
I consider various aspects of the prevailing situation in the society they reside in that could be possibly contributing to their state.

Sometimes I feel extremely empathic to the point of wanting to shut myself down. Travelling in buses is extremely hard for me because of the different kinds of people that get on them. It's the best place to observe the working class and see how individuals form a part of the larger global scale --- of how the "smallest" and seemingly most insignificant cogs of society make up the world as a whole and the part they play in it --- and yet when local leaders consider things like the "world", "global situation" --- many times they don't notice things at a micro level.

I remember back in Pakistan in 1995 [I was only 14 at the time] and I started picking up sadness on just about every other person's face. And started pestering my mom about why all these people were sad. I knew that the political situation of Karachi was pretty bad with a lot of killings, so I came up with a hypothesis that perhaps the impact of the overall situation in the city was being reflected through the atmosphere of gloom on people's faces.

I could see the steely determination on the faces of a few people and asked myself why they chose to suffer a life of hardship with so much strength and yet didn't see that strength as a unifying force to come together and affect change.

I can notice all sorts of emotions on people's faces.

That's when I'm at my best. Observing people and trying to come up with one over-arching reason - the core reason for that particular feeling.

The closer I get to someone emotionally, and the more I know about his/her life, the better my judgement becomes. I suppose the same is true in different ways for most people.

ENFJ 3w4.

·
Registered
515 Posts

You can list anything you deem relevant, such as another person, a flower, a landscape, etc. This is supposed to be fairly open-ended so lemme know what you come up with and what you really see.
When I look at people, I don't know them so much physically as emotionally and psychologically. The physical part I glean by actively studying people's faces, body language, etc., and sometimes I come up with pretty wacky, but consistent, observations! But the emotional/mental part I don't really have to go after. It kinda just...registers as raw material in my subconscious mind. It tosses itself around for a length of time (from seconds to months, depending), and then enters my conscious stream of thought. It's like I just absorb people's state of mind, sometimes making (knowledgeable and/or intuitive) speculations on what their faces are masking, when I need to fill in gaps. I suppose this subconscious thing collaborates with my note of body language, because you can tell a lot about how someone's feeling just by body language. But I don't only take in details about people when I do this (which is pretty much all the time I'm with people). I feel the environment, the social setting, the circumstances, and I use my ability to empathize in order to feel what they feel.

My mind doesn't do this kind of emotional analyzing for objects. Although I do put life into them to some degree, and feel sympathy for them, it's just not the way it is for people. If it's living, I naturally feel more for it, and I feel more for animals than plants, but not the way I do for people. For example, clock < lettuce < sparrow < person. Of course, this is a lot more complex than it sounds, but what isn't? *sigh* If I ever wrote down everything that goes on/is stored in my head, I'd bore you all to death just by the complicated explanations. I don't even know everything that goes on in here. :\

INFP 5w4, 9w1, 4w5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.