Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 876 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know stereotypicallisation isn't good but its fun, sometimes. So, lets get your thinking caps on, jog your memory for all stereotypical ISTJ's you have seen and even try a little intuition.

I personally imagine an ISTJ to look very formal looking. Even in their casual clothes, they would be well- groomed and dressed. ISTJ girls, I imagine to have a massive purse/ handbag prepared for any challenges, has her hair tied in a ponytail/ bun/ hairclip. Office suits are suitable for both genders. Faded jeans with holes in it seems like a definite no go- zone. One who appears serious and even nerdish to a certain extent but lovable with animals. Boys will have adequate sized hair- not too long e.g.- not over the shoulders. Glasses could fit in nicely though are not necessary. Carrying a few books around for reading is also a probability. Oh yes, did I mention that if the shoes are black and leather made- then they would definitely be polished.

(Now, I am not sure if this has been addressed before and I hope it isn't. I also admit that I stole this idea from INTJ part of the forum but I am curious to hear of your replies. )

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not gonna say anything except, you would be so disappointed...:laughing:
Disappointed? Why? I don't get it...ahhh...:confused:
Was it because my generalisations were so off- track?
If so, then I don't mind, this is a discussion thread- feel free to disappoint me. I don't care as such. I would be interested to hear other POV.

(still confused)

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I have faded jeans with holes in them for the same reason as SavMandu. Although I hate jeans with a passon and only wear them when I have to do so.

As for what we wear, I'm sure you've seen the wedding pics on my page. (when my daughter was recently married.)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I personally imagine an ISTJ to look very formal looking. Even in their casual clothes, they would be well- groomed and dressed. ISTJ girls, I imagine to have a massive purse/ handbag prepared for any challenges, has her hair tied in a ponytail/ bun/ hairclip. Office suits are suitable for both genders. Faded jeans with holes in it seems like a definite no go- zone. One who appears serious and even nerdish to a certain extent but lovable with animals. Boys will have adequate sized hair- not too long e.g.- not over the shoulders. Glasses could fit in nicely though are not necessary. Carrying a few books around for reading is also a probability. Oh yes, did I mention that if the shoes are black and leather made- then they would definitely be polished.
I've worn faded jeans with holes in them. ;) I've worn my hair pretty long, albeit always tied back in a ponytail (guess this sort of counts?) Said outfit also usually included an 80's metal band t-shirt, but I suspect what my clothes lacked in formality or seriousness my facial expression more than made up for.

I've had increasingly more opportunities to wear suits in recent years, and I found that I really like wearing them. They're like armours I put on to go to work. Easier to pick out and put together compared to casual clothes, too - less pain in the butt in the mornings.

I say I pretty much agree with the stereotypes you put together. To me, a typical ISTJ would be dressed in clothes that are classy not flashy, would be wearing a serious expression, and would be very polite when you engage them in a conversation.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Faded jeans with holes are useful for doing yard work and other things on the "honey do" list. We have to maintain, you know. :wink:
Yeah, we can wear such things if it has practical applications. I think it is highly unlikely (though excessively stereotypicalising here) that they would be wearing such as a general everyday dress.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As for what we wear, I'm sure you've seen the wedding pics on my page. (when my daughter was recently married.)
Wow....Is that really you? You definitely fit the stereotypical image of ISTJ... If I had (which I won't) pasted your pic here, all would be said in one picture.

The typical stern face, smart looking aura, anything you name. Oh! the seriousness doesn't suit the impression I had created of you by looking at just your posts.

(Btw, congratulations on your daughter's wedding)

·
Registered
582 Posts

<<*Looks at self interpretation*

I'm not your stereotypical ISTJ, that's for sure :mellow:

Or am I?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Other than carrying the largest purse in the Western Hemisphere (which of course, has EVERYTHING I could possibly need in it), the stereotypes postulated are so far off that I had to actually laugh.
While I will wear nice/formal clothes to the appropriate activities (wedding, etc.) most of the time I dress VERY informally. Right now, I'm relaxing at home (bonus for finishing homework before the weekend started!) and I'm wearing a terry-cloth skirt and blank tank top, along with some "footie" type socks (because my feet get cold VERY easily).
I'm also about to blow the stereotype of longish-hair out of the proverbial window: I probably have shorter hair than some of the men posting here. I usually keep it about 1½ - 2" long; tapered around the ears and neckline. I AM a creature of habit, though, and with a couple of exceptions, have worn my hair this way for over 20 years.
Also, as many of you here probably already know, I have several visible tattoos and piercings (4 of the former; 18 of the latter, and all visible if I wear a tank top). You would NEVER guess me to be an ISTJ by my appearance alone. Well ... maybe you would, given the purse situation :laughing: :crazy:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other than carrying the largest purse in the Western Hemisphere (which of course, has EVERYTHING I could possibly need in it), the stereotypes postulated are so far off that I had to actually laugh.
While I will wear nice/formal clothes to the appropriate activities (wedding, etc.) most of the time I dress VERY informally. Right now, I'm relaxing at home (bonus for finishing homework before the weekend started!) and I'm wearing a terry-cloth skirt and blank tank top, along with some "footie" type socks (because my feet get cold VERY easily).
I'm also about to blow the stereotype of longish-hair out of the proverbial window: I probably have shorter hair than some of the men posting here. I usually keep it about 1½ - 2" long; tapered around the ears and neckline. I AM a creature of habit, though, and with a couple of exceptions, have worn my hair this way for over 20 years.
Also, as many of you here probably already know, I have several visible tattoos and piercings (4 of the former; 18 of the latter, and all visible if I wear a tank top). You would NEVER guess me to be an ISTJ by my appearance alone. Well ... maybe you would, given the purse situation :laughing: :crazy:
I have shoulder length hair as well, because they are convenient and easy to manage. It really comes down to practical usage of my attire. Like you, if I am cold then warm socks are what I need. Piercings though, don't fit the stereotype...:proud::wink:

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Wow....Is that really you? You definitely fit the stereotypical image of ISTJ... If I had (which I won't) pasted your pic here, all would be said in one picture.

The typical stern face, smart looking aura, anything you name. Oh! the seriousness doesn't suit the impression I had created of you by looking at just your posts.

(Btw, congratulations on your daughter's wedding)
Thanks.

Meh, it was hard to maintain. Outdoor wedding, so it was a bit less formal. Friends in the crowd were cat-calling during the pictures, trying to make me smile.

BTW, that is my relaxed face. :laughing:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I guess I defy some expectations, at least. Jeans are magical; I tend to wear them frequently. I actually don't think I own a suit, just a few sets of formal-ish slacks...but about half of my wardrobe is now reserved for work clothes.

However, I fit some of what you said - glasses, yes. I have taken to carrying a bookbag (almost military style, lots of compartments on the outside, wonderful for putting things where they belong) as well as a purse, so I can separate my electronics/schoolbooks from personal belongings. My hair is nearly always pulled back, unless I get some motivation to do something with it early in the morning. Most of my clothes could be considered basic or classic - many tank tops and turtlenecks in solids, and in the winter either a grey or black peacoat to top things off. I'm not the type to break out the 4 inch heels for a walk across campus. I like to stick to what I know & love. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I guess I defy some expectations, at least. Jeans are magical; I tend to wear them frequently. I actually don't think I own a suit, just a few sets of formal-ish slacks...but about half of my wardrobe is now reserved for work clothes.
Same here. I've always hated wearing suits.

I do wear glasses and a serious expression. My hair, for at least 20 years now, is kept about 3/8 inch long and I cut it myself -- saves $ :wink: I've also read somewhere that ISTJ's typically have a mustache. I usually have a full beard, but when I do shave I never loose the mustache.

And Sela, I've been considering a tattoo lately.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
And Sela, I've been considering a tattoo lately.
It goes without saying that you should research it like crazy because you'll obviously have it for the rest of your life. While I have several tattoos, I will have to admit that my paw prints one was conceived and inked in a month's time (as opposed to the usual year or more thinking them out), but then again, I was very close to my pet and knew somehow (???) that it would be "right".

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well, as far as my attire goes, most of my clothes are pretty plain but I do really enjoy wearing knee socks with nice/loud patterns on them to compliment some of my outfits. I am not out in the business world yet (though I will be sure to look nice when at work), so I will say that I mostly just wear jeans or other types of pants (khakis and black and navy twill pants). Most of my tops are pretty plain (solid colored or striped crew necks and polos) but I do have a few fun tops (like a tinkerbell top and two really nice plaid shirt that look kinda girly). Also, I have some brightly colored tanktops (that are polka-dotted or have some other fun designs on them) that I wear under my tops. Since the tank tops are kinda long (longer than my crewneck tops at least), and I can unbutton my polos, the tanktops add color to my outfits.

My hair is short and layered, and I wear glasses (by necessity. . . or maybe I am too finicky to try contacts). I do not like big purses because in them I have a tendency to lose stuff. My purses are cute (one has tinkerbell on it and anotherone has a kitty). I like to throw my books in big totebags so I have several of those, with different patterns and styles.

1 - 20 of 876 Posts