Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how many of you have watched it, but its about two brothers who decide to purge the world of evil and kill criminals. Just wondering what you thought of it if you watched it. All in all its a highly entertaining movie, but what do you guys think of the principal?

·
Registered
ESTJ 3w2 sp
3,087 Posts
Boondock Saints is my favorite movie of all time. I loved every second of it. As far as the principle goes, I am not in favor of it most days. I have my dark moments where I think maybe evil cannot be cured (a whole nother debate/conversation), but most days I think everyone deserves a chance to redeem themselves. The end scene was very powerful. Sometimes I think something like that would do a lot of good.

·
Registered
252 Posts
And shepherds shall we be, for thee my Lord, for thee,
Power hath descended forth from thy hand,
That our feet my swiftly carry out thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee,
And teeming within souls shall it ever be.
In nomini patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

A great movie. It's tempting to think that it would help to cure the world of crime and evil in this way. However it isn't possible. First of all. How can man decide what is wrong or right? What is okay in one society is wrong in another. Think of the differences between the Muslim countries and the Western countries. In the Western World many things are considered legal that would have the penalty of death in a muslim country.

Winner writes the history.

It was never man's right to judge or make himself superiror to other human beings. Do not judge, and you will not be judged.
Ultimately 'The Boondock Saints' are doing the completely opposite of what the Bible tells them to do. They might be doing it for a good reason but they make themselves evil.

Think of it this way. All the Suicide Terrorists, Martyrs. They DO believe that they are doing it in GOD's favour. However.. They become the real wicked and evil by applying the methods of the devil.

Recently I have seen Star Wars for the first time in my life. I was shocked about how much the movies are about MORALS. One thing I found fascinating is the thought that if you are strong with the FORCE. Then it is very easy to turn over to the dark side. It is tempting and seductive. "Once you step down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It does play on our fantasies a lot I think. I often feel frustrated helpless and angry by all the oppression exploitation and corruption- evil men harming innocent persons. So boondock saints really apppeals to me- just that little fantasy that you could just get rid of all the bad people. Oh and the whole irish catholic flavor to it was cool. I loved the courtroom scene the best, the toilet scene 2nd best and I also liked the scene where they start fighting in the vent and crash through the ceiling- that whole scene was hillarious.
I do think that some people desrve to die- I've seen "pure corruption"- but it all depends on the situation and all. My motto for this is to never compromise the safety of an innocent person for the sake of an evil man. So if getting rid of the bad guy will save many INNOCENT lives- then it's ok to give them the death sentence.
Generally speaking though- you should always give a bad guy a chance to turn around - as long as giving them that second chance does not harm any innocents or puts them in danger.
The other thing I agreed with in the movie is what Murphy said- Do not murder, rape or steal- these are principals that every man of every faith can embrace- MUST embrace- as an inherent truth that all men know in their souls - that those things are wrong. So evil is not relative (God I hate it when people say that!)
Its obvious that when someone is hurting another person- its evil and must be stopped.
Suicide terrorists are not defending the innocent- they are pushing their religion.There is a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts