Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions that are very different for me (which has caused many problems within relationships), but ultimately the same for most people. So what about you?

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Are you asking in general or about a specific subject?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
What do I think about ... ?
I think X has these merits/disadvantages and that these steps carry the way forward.

What do I feel about ... ?
Inferrable impressions of the situation/people and what effect I think it has on others and relationships.

Reactions: AbioticPrime

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Wait, do you mean that you tend to say "I think" more than "I feel" and it's caused issues in relationships?

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Yes, two very different questions. Trouble only comes when the issue has multiple rights from different perspectives (gray shades topics). One must really ask me, "What do you feel, how do you feel?" in order to get what I truly believe or how it affects me. Typically, it's on these types of issue where I get accused of "wanting to always be right," cold, insensitive, and/or intentionally a bitch.

I've learned to pick up on when to state both viewpoints to avoid drama. Not everything is black and white, I understand that, but I also understand that gray shades make me work harder or not at all.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I definitely "feel" about things. I just know that whatever I feel is irrelevant 90% of the time. If someone asks how I feel about something, chances are I decline to bother with really figuring out that answer.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The way I read it, "What do you think about" refers to factual analysis; "How do you feel about" is referring to a call for intuition.

"I think the problem here is X, Y, Z, from the evidence at hand."

"I feel like the stock market may do well today."

·
Registered
899 Posts
Two questions that are very different for me (which has caused many problems within relationships), but ultimately the same for most people. So what about you?
I think in terms of Te Ti. I dissect and form course/understanding/opinion.

I feel either through basic emotions or via intuition (which is like 6th Sense).
- I sense/feel this stock will go up
- I feel great

Either will bring critical thinking in the picture "what causes feeling X?" and "hmm is it viable to act upon that feeling?"

It doesn't cause troubles in my relationships.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Literally, both have very different meanings which others have explained well. But in reality, both are used interchangeably without any clear difference. The real question is "What is your opinion of... ?"

Opinion can be based off feelings OR logic. If you're having relationship problems because of how you word your questions, maybe using that phrase instead might help.

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
Ah, I understand the OP. He is saying that those 2 questions when asked to him have caused issues in his relationships.

I'd partially agree, though this doesn't hold much merit for my life. Many times I'm asked these questions and I offer answers which strong feelers may deem ethically inappropriate.

Usually when I'm asked how I feel about something I honestly don't have a clue, so my response is almost always awkward. I've noticed this tends to cause issues with type 2s in particular, since they have an underlying need to be emotionally useful/helpful and on account that I don't offer much emotional content to help with they get frustrated and/or look elsewhere for this fulfillment.

What's even funnier is when I'm asked "how do you feel about..??" I usually respond "well.. I think ...", lol.

When I'm asked "what do you think about..??" I usually give my honest 'logical' breakdown.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Ah, I understand the OP. He is saying that those 2 questions when asked to him have caused issues in his relationships.

I'd partially agree, though this doesn't hold much merit for my life. Many times I'm asked these questions and I offer answers which strong feelers may deem ethically inappropriate.

Usually when I'm asked how I feel about something I honestly don't have a clue, so my response is almost always awkward. I've noticed this tends to cause issues with type 2s in particular, since they have an underlying need to be emotionally useful/helpful and on account that I don't offer much emotional content to help with they get frustrated and/or look elsewhere for this fulfillment.

What's even funnier is when I'm asked "how do you feel about..??" I usually respond "well.. I think ...", lol.

When I'm asked "what do you think about..??" I usually give my honest 'logical' breakdown.
Your avatar is so damn hot...I couldn't read one word of your post. I was too busy staring at your avatar. LOL! Okay I guess I should refocus and read the post now. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.