Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Haven't read post yet, just got to the second line and I already disagree:
"If we assume that intelligence is defined as “the ability to solve problems for which the solutions are elegant and easy to understand despite the process of finding the solution being complex and difficult”"

That to me is just one narrow aspect of intelligence. Intelligence is a broad array of cognitive abilities and I believe we should have a multiple intelligences view towards intelligence. Aside from solving problems there's things like language, memory, symbolic recognition, emotional sensitivity, there's strategizing and plan making, there's executing of plans, .. and even if we talk about problem solving there are many different types of problems and different types of approaches and logic that can be used which uses different types areas of cognition... so I find that definition of intelligence not only one that I wouldn't use, but annoying that they would assume others would have their narrow view of what qualifies as intelligence.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I'll go with "duh" on this.

INTJs are going to be better at the A & B tasks because they generally require organization skills and quick focus which INTJs definitely are better at than an ENTP. They will actually remember they have a small task hanging while an ENTP tends to forget those until they come back into view (in which, we respond, "crap, I forgot about that" which makes us work less efficiency). An INTJ will do those simple tasks more methodically while we tend to come at it in different directions which sometimes is quicker but most times is not.

On the other hand, because of INTJs "J" and leading introverted function Ti, they over-analyze complex problems searching for the "true" solution which definitely slows things down. ENTPs with our leading Ne are much better at grasping what is important in a complex idea and tend to come up with a solution quickly so we can move on to something else. The only time we work slow is when we are not too thrilled with the task we have to do but it is less "slow" than it is "complete avoidance until it is absolutely necessary to address".

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
thought article was going to be longer when I clicked page.

I don't know what the heck it's talking about.

There are many ways to solve any problem, many different types of logic and approaches that could be used.

There's different types of logic such as deductive or inductive reasoning, one can think in terms of possibilities and use occams razors as E--Ps tend to do, one can thing up complex detailed explanation as I--P tend to do. People can focus on evidence or other people's input. People can take surveys and listen to people's opinions. People can also perform scientific experiments to investigate truths and solve problems. There are always many different ways and types of logic and approaches that can be used to solve problems. And different people will obviously excel at different types of logic and problems solving approaches.

And the difficult of a problem isn't an objective linear thing. You might arrive at a linear order just from a survey of how people perform on particular problems, but one person might find question A difficult and B hard and another B easy and get A wrong.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
The only time we work slow is when we are not too thrilled with the task we have to do but it is less "slow" than it is "complete avoidance until it is absolutely necessary to address".
hehehe

Dont know why I think one of my biggest draw backs is funny.

But this crumb stuck under my space bar is much more entertaining!
Certainly it requires immediate action.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Intelligence is the ability to recognize and take action in the present in order to maximize future opportunities. Pedanticism aside, and going with their definition, its an interesting analysis but without understanding how there study was performed, I the results are questionable at best.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to all those who wrote about intelligence:

- here it's more about starting up the project; begin, etc

Entp is certainly good at this, but we can not find our own goals

- You all forget the distinction of intelligence inside the box, outside the box.

entp is not able to have intelligence inside the box .. like intj

- in my opinion it looks like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/e9/a9/00/e9a900d364a48b6cae835734bc72e099.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Whoever wrote it seems to have no idea what they were talking about. I lost track a shitton of times. They wrote it thinking that they know the solution to the world and everything else around it. Probably an ENTP. Just look at their other posts. They do the same thing there. I wouldn't take these "statistics" to my bank of "knowledge".
But maybe I'm just bashing on them because I don't agree. Of course, how could I agree when the post itself was hard to follow? It seemed very broad and thrown together in a last-minute kind of way.
Oh well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I mean while I appreciate the logic and attempt to attribute more than just IQ scores to intelligence the results are particularly lacking.

How did the author which activities fell under the various categories? How did he subdivide the categories into shallow vs deeper? What was his sample size ? How did he determine type of his sample size.

I do like the comparison of Java to INTJs and the interesting statement that MBTI applied to any adaptive computing system. I'm not sure how applicable that is since adaptive computing =/= cognition but it's a cute theory.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Haven't read post yet, just got to the second line and I already disagree:
"If we assume that intelligence is defined as “the ability to solve problems for which the solutions are elegant and easy to understand despite the process of finding the solution being complex and difficult”"

That to me is just one narrow aspect of intelligence. Intelligence is a broad array of cognitive abilities and I believe we should have a multiple intelligences view towards intelligence. Aside from solving problems there's things like language, memory, symbolic recognition, emotional sensitivity, there's strategizing and plan making, there's executing of plans, .. and even if we talk about problem solving there are many different types of problems and different types of approaches and logic that can be used which uses different types areas of cognition... so I find that definition of intelligence not only one that I wouldn't use, but annoying that they would assume others would have their narrow view of what qualifies as intelligence.

LOL LOL LOL, I haven't read the link, either, but I was about to say that all the ENTPs I know go on about different types of intelligence as soon as that word is mentioned :)
---------------------------------------------------------

Most of the ENTPs I've come across are very academically gifted, but they feel oppressed by authorities so easily that they will refuse to learn what's on offer at school merely because it happens to be offered at school. They'll study all kinds of things that capture their fancy quite willingly outside the classroom when it suits them. They also resist standardized examination and argue that intelligence or knowledge cannot be measured by school exams (hahah, they just love Te so much... not).

As an INTJ I can partly understand that in that I do enjoy learning more when there is no pressure. But on the other hand, Se (albeit inferior) makes me more opportunistic and I'll think "Now's as good a time as any. I might just as well kill two birds with one stone: learn the material and get a good mark." Therefore INTJs tend to get better marks because they conform to outwards standards more in this respect. I actually think that ENTPs are the more intelligent type in some ways [not when it comes to details, though]. E.g. they pick up things far more quickly than INTJs. But this isn't reflected in their grades in many cases because they don't always apply themselves at the 'right' time.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
I'll go with "duh" on this.

INTJs are going to be better at the A & B tasks because they generally require organization skills and quick focus which INTJs definitely are better at than an ENTP. They will actually remember they have a small task hanging while an ENTP tends to forget those until they come back into view (in which, we respond, "crap, I forgot about that" which makes us work less efficiency). An INTJ will do those simple tasks more methodically while we tend to come at it in different directions which sometimes is quicker but most times is not.

On the other hand, because of INTJs "J" and leading introverted function Ti, they over-analyze complex problems searching for the "true" solution which definitely slows things down. ENTPs with our leading Ne are much better at grasping what is important in a complex idea and tend to come up with a solution quickly so we can move on to something else. The only time we work slow is when we are not too thrilled with the task we have to do but it is less "slow" than it is "complete avoidance until it is absolutely necessary to address".
Ni :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
Intelligence is WAY too broad of an idea to be able to give a black and white answer to this. But I will say this after dating an INTJ. INTJs are better at practical things and remembering and figuring things out at face value. But INTJs have a weakness of not being able to see past their own arrogance. ENTPs are arrogant as well, but we're able to see through it. INTJs usually can't, and because of this they usually tend to go with "what they think they know" (whether it's right or wrong) rather than do what ENTPs do which is to be a sponge of any and all new perspectives.

I've proven my ex wrong just by having her think about it in a new perspective, a perspective that I saw a long time ago. In a short amount of time the INTJ will win, but give it enough time and the ENTP will outsmart the INTJ nearly every single time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts