Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ESTJs ~ (it's quite sad how little there are of you guys on this forum D:)
We are the opposite personality types and I was wondering what experiences you had with INFPs. Do you like them, hate them, etc.? :kitteh:

Reactions: Ik3

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mmm, well I definitely don't harbor any true resentment or even dislike towards INFPs. Most of the ones I've met are friendly and intelligent, and while we think very differently I haven't had any significantly negative experiences ... though I do recall being occasionally irritated by their lack of efficiency in some areas.

Reactions: mrhcmll and Coburn

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I don't hve any close INFP friends, even though I've met a couple of them, and have some contact with one here. Honestly, I think I generally like you. Same functions in opposite order, that's just giving more room to Ne and Fi. I like that. It'd be amazing to actually get to know an INFP well.. I don't disslike you by any means.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You may wish to refer to these threads. Much of what you ask has been mentioned here.

http://personalitycafe.com/estj-forum-guardians/119367-interaction-opposite-infp-7.html
http://personalitycafe.com/estj-forum-guardians/47926-infp-estj-good-match-41.html

There are also the ENFP threads, such as http://personalitycafe.com/estj-forum-guardians/172099-female-estjs-enfp-males-3.html

This is what I myself posted up there:

Not too sure how reliable my guess of people's types are. I'm not like a mind reader or something. Besides, I'm sort of in between E & I. Either way, just take my comments with a huge spoon of salt.

I'm sure everyone agrees INFPs and ESTJs are polar opposite. The 2 INFPs that I know of see to display this traits:
(1) Always wanting to see the good side in things and people, while we tend to consider worst case scenarios and write off people.
(2) Idealism, and seeming disregard for reality and practical action. We are the opposite.
To repeat the obvious, these are standard stuff listed in the personality types. Both have their goods and bads, and you can choose to view them positively or negatively.

I like dealing with them when I'm short of ideas and inspiration. For long term, big picture stuff also - they serve as a good reference what is the ideal to aim for. If you need evidence of concrete action, I put up a thread asking for ideas on aluminium sheet metal art, and harvested some ideas.

I don't like dealing with them on practical matters. Not giving a damn about reality or "mundane details" leads to big problems later on. Note: for STJ's I'm pretty tolerant, I can stand new new NEW, so long as you can show me that it works, is practical and at least as efficient. Trouble is, what seems cool rarely is practical.

What I really don't like about dealing with them is that they're emotionally delicate, and worse, very difficult to tell if you piss them off because they withdraw and don't show direct signs. This sucks as our more judgemental opinions are guaranteed to piss them off, and since we usually have no clue that we just pissed them off, we can't take any steps to mitigate the problem.

STJs are usually willing to face the hard facts and make painful changes if they see a logical reason in doing so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's far harder for an NF to change as feelings get in the way all the time AFAIK.

Therefore it's easier for them to change me than for me to change them. And they have, in a way. When I first came across INFPs, I was pretty much the stereotypical unhealthy ISTJ specimen - just stop bitching and find a way to survive, too bad about your feelings. I've learned from them to consider other people's and intentions and feelings and not to solely focus on the actions - and not to dismiss them so quickly.

Whether interactions with me had any influence on any of them - well, that's for them to say and not me. I found out later that one of them said to a friend about me, "Get me away from that guy (me)"

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've had some negative experiences with a couple of self typed INFPs, but also some very positive experiences with another dear INFP.
Win some, lose some & I wouldn't trade one of the good times to erase all the bad times.
This is basically my experience. There's a lot more to whether or not I'll like someone than their MBTI type, or even combining that with enneagram type. There are jerks in every type, INFPs (and ESTJs) included, and I've happened to run into a few. A few others I know are entertaining people, but tend to be a bit... there's a lot of verbal diarrhea when they're emotionally aroused about a 'cause' or something they feel strongly about. It can be a bit exhausting, but that's not unique to INFPs. I get it from my ISFP mom, too.

·
Registered
ENTJ 3w2-5w6-9w8 so/sp
1,185 Posts
Oh, I have a nice story to tell here ^^

I have a very close INFP friend and last year, I had a massive crush on him. I hadn't seen him for a while back then and he approached me directly, was nice and not too emotional, just like another XSTJ. Well, I started to get to know him better and if I had talked to hin long enough, he started telling cryptic stories, talking in a metaphoric way, tried to trick me with a weird sign language and became really emotional. I still liked him by that time, but we both were getting completely stressed after talking about some deeper things, because we just couldn't empathize with eachother.
After all, it took him about twice the time to say "I don't love you", that it took me to realise "we wouldn't be a good couple"

In general, I don't particularly dislike INFPs, but dealing with them is usually stressful for both of us. ^^"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts