Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what my mom's type is. On an online MBTI test she would probably score ISTJ or ISFJ

- She doesn't sugar coat anything and is sometimes a little too overly blunt.
- She detests being sensitive to criticism at any level in anyone else.
- Her mood affects the way she talks to other people big time.
- She has a really hard time letting certain things go. For example I forgot to lock up "her," bike that I'd been riding ONE night and it got stolen. (Let me tell you she hadn't even ridden it for over 10 years at least.. yet she still talks about it to this day) and when one of her eeyore mugs went missing she couldn't figure out which one and spent weeks thinking about it until she finally figured it out
- She cares a lot about her family and is very defensive of .them
- She is kind of a clean freak and the way the house looks affects her mood big time.
- Always asking why things happen around the house.
- Kind of a hypocrite in the sense that if she's in a bad mood and she snaps at you she thinks nothing of it doesn't apologize later or anything but when my brother and I do that we usually get grounded.
- She uses A LOT of sayings. Like "blacker than the ace of spades," or "had the world by the tail," "lying through your teeth, etc, etc...
- When something happens and she forms her own conclusion she automatically believes that conclusion is correct and disregards any other inquiry from other people.
- At work she is great at being nice and friendly to others (and then takes out all frustration at home) and is good at customer service.
- Dresses for comfort and comfort only.
- Thick-skinned and doesn't let anything get to her, is easily able to laugh at herself.
- She tends to turn all her frustration and hurt come out in anger.
- Easily affected by emotions. She watched a video of a kitten being stepped on and killed. She was in a good mood before she watched it then after she watched it she was in a terrible mood, this has happened a few times with anything that disgusts her.
- Seems to value individuality, honesty (she HATES being lied to more than anything), being thick-skinned, persereverance,
- Has difficulty trusting people
- Her attitude towards death is kind of nonchalant. I remember asking her if we were going to die during thunderstorms as a little kid and she'd just say "when your numbers up, it's up."

What type do you think seems most likely? i appreciate any insight

·
Registered
453 Posts
- Her attitude towards death is kind of nonchalant. I remember asking her if we were going to die during thunderstorms as a little kid and she'd just say "when your numbers up, it's up."
I am sorry to hear that she said that to you, but I have to admit the directness is pretty funny. I enjoy some dark humor, so I had to smirk a little at this one.

Now, for her type: ISTJ all the way.

- Insensitive to people's feelings
- Clean freak
- Stubborn views in an argument

Do I need to go on? All that is screaming ISTJ. Not that all ISTJs are like this, but I can't see any other type having this combo.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry to hear that she said that to you, but I have to admit the directness is pretty funny. I enjoy some dark humor, so I had to smirk a little at this one.

Now, for her type: ISTJ all the way.

- Insensitive to people's feelings
- Clean freak
- Stubborn views in an argument

Do I need to go on? All that is screaming ISTJ. Not that all ISTJs are like this, but I can't see any other type having this combo.
I'm not an expert on matching persnality trates to MBTI type and couldn't those traits also be INTJ?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Usually INTJs have very little interest in their physical surroundings just due to the order of their functions. Introverted Sensing creates a desire in the user to replicate past environments since they are familiar to them. SJs usually really dislike change due to Si, especially STJs because of their Te which tells the user to judge the external world as according to his or her current knowledge of what is "correct" according to Si. It is likely to not deviate.

INTJs are much more independent in their views, but they are still rigid since they are forming judgement based off of their unconsciously formed abstract frameworks. These frameworks are subconscious, if I interpret Ni correctly, which is what gives a magical quality to its function. I would think theoretically INTJs are very little concerned with their physical surroundings, as I mentioned, because their Sensing function is last and is only triggered under stress. When they are under stress, some Ni-doms have been described to be clean freaks since their Se starts taking over, becoming obsessed about the external physical world and their own impulses, I would presume. You can read more about it in Naomi L. Quenk's book Was That Really Me?.

It really depends on how you know your mother: does she enforce her judgements based on what she has been taught in the past. A famous SJ argument is: "It has always been done this way." An INTJ will enforce her judgement in a much more independent way.

Reactions: Pixzelina

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
A lot of people will insist their mother is either ISTJ or ISFJ which makes one ask how objective can you be when typing your own parents?
Saying that, I hold that opinion myself. Took me about a month of thinking until I managed to form a conclusion that I thought was objective.
@Tru7h I agree with that she sounds ISTJish but there is too little info to form an accurate answer. Could also be ESTJ which makes the Fi inferior. I didn't see any inferior Ne in the original post.
What is she like when she is upset? Specifically, what is her course of action when facing a new situation, or when thinking about the future?

Also, tru7h it's inaccurate to say the inferior function appears only under stress. It's more evident in times of stress, but it's always there, working behind the scenes.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people will insist their mother is either ISTJ or ISFJ which makes one ask how objective can you be when typing your own parents?
Saying that, I hold that opinion myself. Took me about a month of thinking until I managed to form a conclusion that I thought was objective.
@Tru7h I agree with that she sounds ISTJish but there is too little info to form an accurate answer. Could also be ESTJ which makes the Fi inferior. I didn't see any inferior Ne in the original post.
What is she like when she is upset? Specifically, what is her course of action when facing a new situation, or when thinking about the future?
Also, tru7h it's inaccurate to say the inferior function appears only under stress. It's more evident in times of stress, but it's always there, working behind the scenes.
When she's upset she just takes it out on the family, becomes even more nit-picky about the house than normal and wants to just be left alone and sometimes she ends up raging later. She tends to bottle things up, and then she just goes beserk about everything she's been holding back (it's usually a small occurence that triggers it..) and she becomes even more blunt about things than usual. Usually when she faces a new situation she gathers up all the information she can, thinks of potential things that can go wrong and plans and thinks for the worst. She's a live in the moment type of person, she doesn't think much about the future.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
When she's upset she just takes it out on the family, becomes even more nit-picky about the house than normal and wants to just be left alone and sometimes she ends up raging later. She tends to bottle things up, and then she just goes beserk about everything she's been holding back (it's usually a small occurence that triggers it..) and she becomes even more blunt about things than usual. Usually when she faces a new situation she gathers up all the information she can, thinks of potential things that can go wrong and plans and thinks for the worst. She's a live in the moment type of person, she doesn't think much about the future.

Yeah..... Sounds like Si and inferior Ne -_-"
I'll go with ISTJ for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts