Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm a 20 year old female ENTP. There's my obligatory intro. ;)

I tested as an ENTJ in college when I had to take the test administered in an elective Psych class, and I always test the same way on the online tests.

However, I consider myself an ENTP, as I am shamelessly disorganized and have punctuality/commitment problems to work on.

Anyway, what do you authentic (as determined by self-analysis) ENTJs think of us ENTPs? Do you frequently witness the same issues I recognize in myself? What about additional issues?

Don't hold back, be brutally honest, but stay on-topic.

This will accomplish two things:

1. Provide me with a few additional benchmarks of which to compare my self/type to.
2. Propel general self-improvement.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
The change in one letter does not rly indicate that ENTJ and ENTP are similar. They actually share no precise functions, although of course generally, as ENTs, they do have some similarities.

Te > Ni > Se > Fi ENTJ
Ni > Te > Fi > Se INTJ
Te > Si > Ne > Fi ESTJ
Ne > Ti > Fe > Si ENTP

INTJ is of course the most similar to ENTJ, with all the same functions, except in a different order, but even ESTJ is closer; sharing two cognitive functions (Te and Fi), although honestly, people develop their own functions in a way that makes this really rather general, or so I understand it anyway. What they do share is having N and T as their two top functions (although in reverse order), even if the extra/intra order is converse.

That said, I like the ENTPs, in real life and online. I find them to be almost always likeable. I see that ENTPs do tend to be messy (not necessarily disorganised, though) and don't seem to see any issues with punctuality. To be quite honest, I don't put very much faith in using these sort of things as benchmarks for MBTI. They are only stereotypes; I don't see how somebody's cognitive function can decide whether they are punctual or not (It can influence it, I suppose.) Much of this is to do with nurture. In other words, I don't think it's legitimate to scapegoat bad behaviour on your cognitive function. You can't say (in seriousness) "Don't offend me, I'm a sensitive INFP" or "I can insult you without redress because I'm an ENTJ", so on and so forth.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I like ENTPs and respect them. The only ENTP I know personally is a little tough to have a meaningful relationship with, but it's safe to call us friends. If you are anything like Nick Naylor in Thank You For Smoking, I pretty much think you're an amazing badass.

The reason I like ENTPs is that I do see a little of myself in them with the whole ENT factor, but the adaptability and ability to take on any unexpected problem without even blinking head on is really inspirational to me. I, unfortunately, am guilty of sometimes letting my comfort zone hold me back. Granted, I'm still much better than most about it, I always strive to be more adaptable and really admire someone who seems like they are on top of the world.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey guys, I'm a 20 year old female ENTP. There's my obligatory intro. ;)

I tested as an ENTJ in college when I had to take the test administered in an elective Psych class, and I always test the same way on the online tests.

However, I consider myself an ENTP, as I am shamelessly disorganized and have punctuality/commitment problems to work on.

Anyway, what do you authentic (as determined by self-analysis) ENTJs think of us ENTPs? Do you frequently witness the same issues I recognize in myself? What about additional issues?

Don't hold back, be brutally honest, but stay on-topic.

This will accomplish two things:

1. Provide me with a few additional benchmarks of which to compare my self/type to.
2. Propel general self-improvement.

Thanks.
First of all, I can say from personal experience that those Personality Tests they make you take in Pysch Class are crap! Most of the people who "claimed" to get an ENTJ typing in the class were very clearly not ENTJ's. I was the only one (out of five people) who argued the points we were supposed to discuss and took initiative to direct our class project the way it supposed to go with no one even questioning my authority. Those weren't the only signs I saw of them being (as they say) "fake" ENTJ's but you get the picture. (I have not only come to my conclusion as being an ENTJ through self analysis but thorough professional testing and advice.)

I agree with what Diphenhydramine has said completely! I don't think that just because you're one type... you absolutely can't have other traits or personal struggles. We are coincidentally, all individuals/human beings and cannot be predicted to an exact feeling or action. Personally, I don't have the struggles you have and I can't remember a time I ever did. I am a really punctual person and have no problem with being disorganized (on rare occasions I'm messy when it come to me being consumed in my own, but never disorganized with scheduling and person goals), but that doesn't mean that other ENTJ's can't have those problems.

I love ENTP's. They are one of my favorite types. Love their energy, ideas, originality, and general love for life. I have certain pet peeves against them though (At least the one's I've met and lived with... For example, my mom is an ENTP and so is one of my best friends)... if you want me to go into the reasons I get annoyed with them, I'll totally be willing to share if it will help you?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love ENTP's. They are one of my favorite types. Love their energy, ideas, originality, and general love for life. I have certain pet peeves against them though (At least the one's I've met and lived with... For example, my mom is an ENTP and so is one of my best friends)... if you want me to go into the reasons I get annoyed with them, I'll totally be willing to share if it will help you?
Wow... I totally got ENFP and ENTP confused... Nevermind... I don't know any ENTP's personally. Sorry about that. I should really learn how to read!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I <3 ENTP's. I'm usually instantly drawn to them, and end up becoming great friends with them. We can keep each other entertained for hours and hours.. In my experience, ENTJ's and ENTP's also work very well together. The ENTP's uncompromising nature and free-flowing ideas are a great balance for the ENTJ's focus and pragmatism.

Reactions: Linesky

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, I can say from personal experience that those Personality Tests they make you take in Pysch Class are crap! Most of the people who "claimed" to get an ENTJ typing in the class were very clearly not ENTJ's. I was the only one (out of five people) who argued the points we were supposed to discuss and took initiative to direct our class project the way it supposed to go with no one even questioning my authority. Those weren't the only signs I saw of them being (as they say) "fake" ENTJ's but you get the picture. (I have not only come to my conclusion as being an ENTJ through self analysis but thorough professional testing and advice.)

I agree with what Diphenhydramine has said completely! I don't think that just because you're one type... you absolutely can't have other traits or personal struggles. We are coincidentally, all individuals/human beings and cannot be predicted to an exact feeling or action. Personally, I don't have the struggles you have and I can't remember a time I ever did. I am a really punctual person and have no problem with being disorganized (on rare occasions I'm messy when it come to me being consumed in my own, but never disorganized with scheduling and person goals), but that doesn't mean that other ENTJ's can't have those problems.

Of course share the negative traits you noticed. That's the whole point of the thread, and my instructions - do NOT hold back! :angry: :crazy:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Of course share the negative traits you noticed. That's the whole point of the thread, and my instructions - do NOT hold back! :angry: :crazy:
Well... I realized that I was talking about ENFP's... I don't think I know anyone whose an ENTP (that I know of). Otherwise I would be very happy to oblige on criticism, but unfortetley I can't. I'm sorry :frustrating:

·
Registered
35 Posts
ENFPs are Needy Attention Babies. ENTPs are much more useful for cerebral ping pong.

Crimson Ice

Well... I realized that I was talking about ENFP's... I don't think I know anyone whose an ENTP (that I know of). Otherwise I would be very happy to oblige on criticism, but unfortetley I can't. I'm sorry :frustrating:

·
Banned
167 Posts
I type in between, going back and forth between both types depending on my mood and environment. Both types are very similar in the sense that they live years into the future and love to be at the edge of the information. Also both are driven to understand the motivations of others and bending them to their own purposes. They are able to recognize strengths and weaknesses in others very quickly. I dont see why these two lovers of objectivity and argument wouldn't love to spend time together.

As for the whole function difference between them, I dont really see functions are completely separate from the influnce of each other; the objectivity of Ti conbined with Fe's desire to influence ones environment can engender the practicality of Te. Anyways, everybody uses all functions, some just have little interest in most but Two or Three, which breeds inbalance and close-mindedness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I too am a slider between ENTJ and ENTP. I find myself using Te with Ni as well as Ti with Ne on a regular basis. sometimes depending on whichever method seems most convenient at for the situation and sometimes arbitrarily. I also tend to flip/flop on the j and p characteristics of my lifestyle. an OCD perfectionist aspect of my personality that is often equally countered by my laziness. Usually I will process the scope of everything it would take to accomplish something to its perfection, determine if the situation allows for it, and then either give it my best shot or give up or procrastinate. In the world around me though, I almost always demand that my standards are met, and can find myself becoming a hypocritical douchebag fairly often due to my inability to apply my standards internally.

·
Registered
501 Posts
My brother is ENTP. Out of every person in the world, including my husband, he is the only person I know who doesn't ever get freaked out by my personality. I can be coarse and it doesn't phase him. We can have intense debates which involve us going to google facts to support our positions and laugh about it afterward. If I am making a big decision, I always call him and ask his perspective, whether I take it into account or not. And if I don't, it doesn't bother him.

If he tells m at I should check out a movie or a tv show, I generally do, because we have similar tastes.

Now, a lot of this is because we are close siblings, but I have other siblings (ESFJ, ISTP, ESFP) and we don't get along nearly so well. Sometimes I even screen my calls from the ESFJ, but never from my ENTP brother. ENTJ & ENTP.....peanut butter and jelly. I think ENTJs are the peanut butter. :happy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm, my ego is sufficiently stroked after reading this thread.

My best friend is an ENTJ, although he's never really acknowledged anything positive about me i expect he'd agree with what was said here. I'll say i sure do envy the unrelenting drive you all have to accomplish the plans you've made. His ability to call up someone in the extensive social network he maintains in order to get something he wants. The magical way his authority is implied as soon as he speaks. We make quite a duo, CRAZY awesome shit happens. I have to say ENTJs are the only type i would consider trading up for.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I am rather suprised at the lack of criticism. Given that you guys are all a bunch of ENTJs, and thus likely have the commonly attributed traits (read: blunt and critical), I was expecting many more complaints.

To swing the ball back at you, I also don't have many problems with ENTJs.

Except they're STICKLERS for punctuality. Which happens to be my demise. I wonder if ENTJs in time-relaxed places like Spain are the same way?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting. However I notice that in class, there's a strange, different set of class 'etiquette', so to speak. People tend to automatically transform into quiet, deferring, polite versions of their natural self. Nobody participates unless drudged to, people hold back their opposing arguments from the professor, automatically agreeing with the professor. EVERYBODY is/was like that in the classes I take. In my 17 years (and counting) years of schooling, there HAD to be an ENTJ or two in the mix. :wink:

This inane "class culture" doesn't apply to me. I'd often be one of the only ones participating, initiating discussions, taking charge of projects, etc. As far as I see it, I'm paying to be in class to actively learn, not to worry overly much about being submissive to assigned 'authority'.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well, I am rather suprised at the lack of criticism. Given that you guys are all a bunch of ENTJs, and thus likely have the commonly attributed traits (read: blunt and critical), I was expecting many more complaints.
well usually the things we like to criticize are failures at logical reasoning. and since ENTps are fellow rationalists, this doesn't happen often.

The other thing to understand is that ENTjs use blunt criticism as tools for for helping others. We are good at seeing the potential of others and want to help them achieve it. We see conflict as opportunity for personal growth so we engage it head on. If we have an opinion that we think would be beneficial however hard it may be to hear, we will give it. When we are operating on our primary functions of Te with Ni, we don't usually hold grudges since it isn't rationally beneficial to do so. However when we fall back to our Fi, which is often underdeveloped, we find our selves brooding with criticism until the stress of it bursts and we switch to Shadow Form :angry: switching our Fi to Fe and bursting out with irrational rants.

lol, irony. I ended up critiquing ENTjs :blushed:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.