Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discuss:

-What are your opinions/views on INTJs?
-How were previous experiences/interactions with INTJs?
-Do you think that INTPs and INTJs generally get along?
-Do you think that academic standing measures one's critical thinking skills?
-What is one personality type that INTPs usually get along/can't stand? (Based on personal experiences)

477 Posts
I like how they think and I admire their efficiency in getting things done, but getting along with them on an personal level can be difficult for me (at times).
I've known some people who I think might have been INTJs, but I've never really been close friends with one. As I said above, they can get a bit pushy and inflexible at times but it wasn't a huge problem.
Don't know.
No. It measures how good you are at 'playing' school.
-What is one personality type that INTPs usually get along/can't stand? (Based on personal experiences)
ESFJ. Any FJ really (because of our inferior Fe). STJ's can be pretty bad too depending on whether or not they are in a position of power higher than your own :p

Reactions: tooboku

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The best friend I ever had (we're not great friends anymore because I moved away) tests as an INTJ. She's awesome. I find myself wishing for a guy version of her to date. She's a little more playful than the stereotypical INTJ, though.
Also, she either thinks she's smarter than me and looks down on my goofiness/absent-mindedness, or she thinks it's funny. I'm not sure. I get weird looks from her all the time.
I've read that it should be hard for INTPs and INTJs to communicate (there are no cognitive functions in common), but we don't have that problem.
She gets higher grades than I do, but I really don't think she cares. We talk about math, science, etc., but we don't talk about grades.
I also think one of my band directors at school is an obvious INTJ. He's strict and intimidating, but he's hilarious.

oh, questions.

-What are your opinions/views on INTJs? See above.
-How were previous experiences/interactions with INTJs? See above.
-Do you think that INTPs and INTJs generally get along? I don't know. In my experience, yes.
-Do you think that academic standing measures one's critical thinking skills? No. It measures how hard you work, how good you are at memorizing facts, etc.
-What is one personality type that INTPs usually get along/can't stand? I can't say. I know individuals who annoy me, but I also know people of that same type who are awesome.

·
Registered
150 Posts
One of my best friends is an intj, and we butt heads constantly. She can be really closed minded saying things like- I wouldn't want to go to france because they eat snails there. My lack of punctuality really bothers her, but we can have some really good arguments- often switching sides just because, so I guess that makes up for it. She has a tendency to reject things on principle which irritates me. Sometimes I am shocked that she is much better in a social setting than I am, but rarely understands my sense of humor. I'm often too silly for her, but if I tone it down and she loosens up we can have some really good times.

My other friend who is an intj and I have a very different relationship. Rather than arguing the moot points of the red shift, we relay past experiences to each other using star trek, politics, history, doctor who etc as a common point of reference.

In general I like INTJ's but find they can often be a bit too tightly wound.

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Can be really smart, and logical. I can understand their sense of humour when I try, and then they turn out to be hilarious. Once you get to know them you might get to see their fairly strong Fi, and discover that they are fairly fuzzy on the inside :)

Really good, a lot of fun, but I'm not all that good at making sense to them.

Yes we do. I think that pairing has a lot of potential to make great teams if they both appreciate each other.

Absolutely not. I would rather be busy learning more complicated stuff than school teaches me, and let my grades slip, if it wasn't for the fact that I want to get good grades to have a good scholarship. Both INTPs and INTJs can and probably do learn course material on tests :p

My favourite other personalities are INFPs of INTJs, and maybe ENTPs or INFJs and perhaps ISTPs. I get along well with almost every other personality type, that I know of.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
I've only ever met one that I liked. Aside from him, I've never heard an INTJ utter a single original thought. Get into an argument and they'll just parrot back whatever they've read. Their fatal flaw is their inability (or unwillingness) to consider that everything they know is wrong.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Their fatal flaw is their inability (or unwillingness) to consider that everything they know is wrong.
My sister and father are both INTJs and both exhibit that type of behavior. It makes me want to bang my head against the wall. It is VERY frustrating. Add my ISTJ mother into the mix and = *head explodes*

But, I feel it is only fair to comment on their strengths, too. They both think logically and are reliable and responsible. They understand and respect my need for personal space, because they need it too. On the rare occasion that I need to vent or ask for advice, they provide it objectively.

Now that I think about it, I believe they get more frustrated with ME than I with them...

·
Registered
54 Posts
One of my few friends is INTP. We got along pretty quickly. He's the only INTP I know who's actually taken the test.

-What are your opinions/views on INTPs?
INTPs are like INTJs but without the aggression and venom. INTPs care more about knowledge than results. INTPs low tolerance for interpersonal emotional conflict keeps them out of arguments.

-How were previous experiences/interactions with INTPs?
INTPs store an immense amount of information, with Ti and Si helping to balance my lack of it. I enjoy listening to informational monologues about things I know little or nothing about.

Depends

This is a joke. Right?

ESXJ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
what I love about them: they have a very strong personality and they are very confident with their abilities
what I hate about them: they are assholes
can I get along with them? yes i can get along with all the MBTI types cause im a professional social chameleon:p
the personality that i can't stand: ENTJ :mad::mad:

·
Banned
369 Posts
What are your opinions/views on INTJs?
I only know one for sure and he's smart but makes dicisions I don't understand. He has his own business but only wants to employ people he can control and manipulate. It's as if he doesn't like independent thinkers and needs to be in control so he hires and keeps real dumbass's but it limits his ability to grow his company. He will listen to new ideas but always shoots them down and sticks to what he knows and in no way in hell will he give anybody a complement or give credit to someone for a job well done. So base upon limited experience with INTJs I would say their much more practical and confident than INTPs but limit themselfs by being closed minded and the need to be in total control.

Typically pleasant and can have good conversations but not about abstract subjects.

Perhaps as friends but not in the workplace.

I certainly hope not.

ESFJs drive me nuts.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I believe that INTJs are very intelligent. They may use their "thinking" as a secondary function, but their introspection and introverted intuition allows them to apply knowledge very efficiently. In many ways, it seems they can be more intelligent than most rational types. Stephen Hawking is supposedly considered an INTJ. I also believe INTJs are efficient at approaching new situations (anything) and are quickly able to find some strategy to it. Not that its necessarily a flaw, many of them may seem to have trouble reading people.

I interact with quite a few INTJs (that were tested). Our connection can sometimes be pretty well in discussing a particular issue or topic. Sometimes an INTJ may get mad at me if I am working with them and don't complete something. That's presumably where most INTP and INTJs are different.

Interestingly, some MBTI analysts say INTP and ENTJ are the perfect "relationship", because of the Te and Ti dependence. I think that this is true, but only in certain circumstances. When an INTP needs some kind of input or discussion to their thoughts/theories, they may turn to an INTJ. An INTJ may agree a lot with them, but that in ways is a problem. Some kind of conflict is necessary for an INTP's thoughts to be questioned. Simply by depending on each others Te and Ti isn't even close enough to stimulate that. I've also noticed that an INTJ might get frustrated if someone is too speculative and is not concise enough. Many cases this can apply to an INTP.

I don't understand what this has to do with the topic, but not always. Academics standings in school certainly isn't the best way critical thinking skills are measured. Many successful critical thinkers have left school, because it hasn't suited them. Academics however can give efficient knowledge FOR critical thinking. But there are plenty of "players" out there - as SubterraneanHomesickAlien says.

The one personality type that I can't stand IS the INTP. It seems all my worries are known best by another INTP, so they could try and take advantage of that. :p

Otherwise, a lot of the time I have difficulties with the ESFJ. Sometimes they seem too sentimental and get in the way with your thoughts, by telling you what to do. In generally, many of the "S" type can bug me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They, as a whole, are probably a lot more intelligent than me. Because intuition and thinking is flipped, they're more creative, I think; we reason better. I respect them. But I as for personality.. stubborn is the nicest thing I could say.
My dad was an INTJ. He could be an asshole at times. Again, overly stubborn, but determined and hard-working. He's always constantly bugging me about my messiness and procrastination. Also, I had a friend in high school who was an INTJ. I connected pretty well with her, but we just could not work together.
I think they each admire each other, but personally.. no.
Not really.
FJ's. Don't like judgers, can't get into the same mindset with feelers. To say the least.. I've had bad experiences with judgers. I don't mind extroversion or sensing, but judgers.
/not exactly too keen on intjs.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts

More mule-headed than us INTPs, but also more careful. We've got about the same intellectual powers, same love of independence (good luck getting an INTx to do *anything* they don't want to do), but we get it in different ways. We're more 'mobile,' 'evasive' when it comes to intellectual 'combat,' they're 'fortresses' of logic. Tortoise vs. Hawk.

One of my best friends is an INTJ, and I'll be having an INTJ roommate. I'm trying to break him in for his girlfriend, who's an ENFP. I figure if he can figure out how to live with me without me driving him crazy, he can figure out how to live with her without driving her crazy. With my friend, he likes me because I make him think. And I annoy him, because I make him think.

Fairly well, at least as friends. I think, romantically, an INTP would eventually strangle the INTJ when the INTJ is asleep, unless the INTJ seriously lightens up on the whole control-freak thing. Likewise, the INTJ might eventually snap and stab the INTP for leaving the toilet seat up. Career-wise, could be heaven, could be hell. Ideally, it would be awesome to have an INTP Merlin matched up with the INTJ version of King Arthur. Merlin comes up with the ideas, Arther kicks ass and gets the knights to make it happen. But if the INTP is a peon, the INTJ might not like taking gruff and backtalk too well. (And what exactly are the chances of an INTP working in management, again?)

Not just no, *hell* no! I think most INTPs get Bs in high school because it's so damn boring and easy. And then they do horrible at first in college because they haven't learned that whole 'studying' thing. I think we come into our own in the last part of undergrad, and in grad school. But even then, our lack of discipline counts against us. And I *hate* teaching grade grubbers, who care more about getting that *last* percentage point of an A than they do about actually learning the material! Is getting into med school *really* that much more important than figuring out Plato?!! (Don't answer that, it'll only get me pissed off again.)

Don't know. I think any type can get along with any other type. But ESxJs would probably be most likely to drive us nuts. ESxPs probably not far behind. ISTJs are fun, but only because we drive *them* nuts :D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my best friend and fraternity roommate in college was an INTJ. He was the type who actually finished one A- short of a 4.0 and is now finishing up med school soon to train in Radiation Oncology. (I'm training in Psychiatry currently but that's a different story). He was the type who would be never satisfied with anything less than perfection in his academics and I pretty much studied the minimum that would be necessary to get a decent grade and move on. He usually did his best to motivate me to work harder and I did my best to get him out of the library and to bar night. The equilibrium that was created by that really worked out well for both of us.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
-What are your opinions/views on INTJs? They're pretty awesome, when they're not being... um... evil and stuff.

-How were previous experiences/interactions with INTJs? My mom is an INTJ. We not only finish each other's sentences, but we start them, or say them for the other person. We sigh in tandem and say things in unison with exactly the same inflections. It's really creepy. Also, she homeschooled me for all of elementary.

-Do you think that INTPs and INTJs generally get along? There seems to be a bit of a rivalry. One type seems to see certain pieces of information that the other is blind to, and vice versa. Thus, both parties a) feel dumb, and b) feel like the other person has no common sense whatsoever--at the same time. It doesn't help that they tend to be interested in the same things.

-Do you think that academic standing measures one's critical thinking skills? Uh, no! That's dumb.

-What is one personality type that INTPs usually get along/can't stand? (Based on personal experiences) INTPs... I'd say usually don't get along well with ISTJs, and usually do get along with ENTPs. But two INTPs in the same room will either be awkward (as they'll try to chameleon each other), or will be so animated and immersed in their conversation that they'll both forget to eat.

Reactions: Strelok

·
Registered
945 Posts
my lecturer is an intj, his a creep. i like him. his somewhat detach but authoritive, will attack your opinions almost psychic like. he never appreciate any other opinions except his own.

he have this voice that could make you pay attention. he have a subtle analytical stare. but will look away when you look directly to him. he doesn't have facial expressions, he smiles occasionally, but its like looking at the symbol in drama, the comedy side of dionysus

get along? i think so. intjs is not easily offended, when i directly disrespected an intj, he seemed amused.

no, absolutely not. but academic standings will influence how people judge you. not everyone is a critical thinker, only a critical thinker could determine if somebody is not. and they are not many critical thinkers out there.

ESFJ, my sister is an esfj and she is the worst. she will make you feel guilty, accuse you with no evidence what so ever.
shes unstable, shes like a she-hulk

the people that i mostly get along with always was an intuitive, intuitive thinkers or intuitiver feelers.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
In a group, such as the INTJ forum, they seem to band together and attack outsiders. They are all on the same wavelength and every topic is an inside joke. They seem to have a lot of fun during this.

I've only spoken to some online, but from my limited experience, they seem impatient. They want you to get to the point right away and not explain things. They don't like our long explanations. More than once one has told me that they get my meaning without me having to talk so much about it. I feel like I'm giving necessary details, but they get impatient with that. It makes it difficult to find the seemingly fine line between being way too vague and explaining too much. They also don't respond to our Fe wanting to get on good terms with them.

From what I've seen, as long as the INTPs are talking about impersonal things and relating through thoughts in a business way, they do.

Only as far as it maybe having demanded more times to practice critical thinking.

-What is one personality type that INTPs usually can't stand? (Based on personal experiences)
Of the types I'm fairly certain of the type and had experienced, I'd say ESFP. I haven't met anyone knowing they were ESFJ. This ESFP tested herself as ENTP (yeah right). She took complete advantage of my wife's ISFJ servant tendencies. I also could never have any kind of conversation with her. Everything seemed fake. The close second place is ESTJ. I've gotten along better with my ESTJ co-worker, but we often butt heads and he tries to be my boss when he's not in that position.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
They're cool. I've only met one IRL though. She's one of my best friends though. She's a rather relaxed J though, and she doesn't really get that irritated with my P-ness.
There's one that I met online that's pretty cool too.
They have a judgmental edge edge to them (my friend doesn't though) that I find irritating.
I should think so. Besides the judgmental side of INTJs, I think they're pretty awesome.
No. One of my teachers (who just so happens to be ENTJ) had a professor in psychology who she said was one of the most brilliant people she'd ever met. But he had a bias against black people (he believed them to be genetically incapable of getting an A), and refused to give a single one of them an A in the class. Had he been a more critical thinker, he might've thought about his own thinking and realized that he was wrong.
ESFJ, ESFP, ENFJ. They're okay to be around for short periods of time, but any longer and I will freaking explode.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Interesting people, in general. Can seem difficult to get along with, since they have much less aversion to conflict than we do.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I know two. One is my older brother. When he gets rolling on a project he doesn't stop until it is done. If he can't figure something out he doesn't give up and won't put it down unless he can logically come to the conclusion that the solution is beyond him. He has worked as an editor so even the smallest spelling and grammar mistakes bother him (similar to INTP's) except that he believes people who make those mistakes to be incompetent and that's where the judging kicks in from time to time.

The other guy I know is basically a libertarian and has certain extreme political views that makes him come across as intimidating in a debate because he can back all of his arguments up with facts and shout you down effectively. We get along when it comes to our likes or dislikes. He'll find me funny when I make fun of someone we mutually dislike because I'll describe what their house looks like, what they must do in their free time etc. more of a good natured ribbing, where as he'll barrage the person with all his judging power and the edge will be much sharper.

Obviously I know my brother better and barely see him as INTJ and we overlook each others faults, but the other guy is somewhat exhausting to be around. I have come to learn that I if share ideas of something I'll be working on or making some sort of life change while I'm "thinking out loud" he'll be mystified and annoyed that I don't take any action with it. In my mind I'm prioritizing and refining all the possibilities before carrying the idea out. In his mind he's thinking "great idea now DO IT."

In general I get along better with INTJ's as activity partners (strategy games, trivia, movies etc.) rather than someone to open up to or have a beer with. They can be a little on the prickly side especially if they lean towards extroversion and the dreaded ENTJ type but I agree with most other posters that there is usually some sort of mutual respect based on intelligent discussions.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts