Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you get along with us, do you find our strengths and weaknesses complimentary to your own? I'm just curious as I find I work quite well with INTJs.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I would think INTJ's tend to have lower opinions of us, seeing as they are capable of similar thinking ability - yet they actually put their thinking to good use more of the time. An INTP, therefore, seems likely to be viewed as a goofy intellectual not worth taking very seriously, I would think. Also, I've noticed that 'some' INTJ's are tolerant of the INTP nature; others aren't so nice and actually enjoy mocking the fact that INTP's are so impractical with ideas, whereas INTJ's are much more serious and practical-minded. But that's just in my experience.

Certainly INTP's and INTJ's can get along; yet, they can also experience much tension (as I've read many INTJ's speak poorly of INTP's, and I 've seen many INTP's speak of INTJ's as mean bullies. In my personal experience, I tend to get along with female INTJ's. For some reason, male INTJ's easily create a male territorial thing based on intellectual ego that turns into a war of the wits. It can get quite out of hand when it goes too far.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The INTJs who act condescendingly towards me usually get blown out of the water when things get serious, so I don't really bother about them. The ones who are open-minded and approachable, even if sometimes self-centered, usually are most successful. The same probably applies to INTPs though. My point of view is probably biased on that basis.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Sometimes they frustrate me ("Stop theorizing and get to the point!") and sometimes I annoy them ("Stop finishing my sentences and look at the phiiosophical implications!"). Usually we work well together, once we learn to respect each other's styles of behavior. They theorize and mull over things to come up with an innovative approach, and I come up with an innovative way to make it work.

·
Administrator
ESFJ
22,385 Posts
I love 'em. I have two in my family (I feel like a broken record saying this to each thread which asks this question). They rant and they talk too much but they are brilliant. I don't need to know the blow by blow details of a plot in a movie.....just that if you think it's good (I will watch it for myself). I am in awe of their cleverness.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
One of my best friends is INTP, and we get on generally pretty well. Because we're both not controversial, we don't enter into any of the petty high school conflicts. But its gets very frustrating when I'm furiously lambasting some asshole in the news, and she's like: What? Really? You know, I don't really care about any of that. You get too passionate about this stuff. Yeah. If I'm too passionate, she's passionless. Because of some of the conflicts she's had with friends in the past (and they got UGLY), she's extremely averse to emotional outbursts, so she goes out of her way to spurn them. And you know, when she does that to me, she just seem like some flippant, uninspired robot who doesn't have an opinion on anything. Sometimes I don't want to be her friend, because she's so uninteresting to talk to; talk about somebody who refuses to have an opinion. She's the only INTP I know who's quite so bland; other INTPs are interesting and dynamic.

Socrates is an INTP too, and he CLEARLY has opinions. When he cross examines people, he actually makes them realize the error in their argument. Not her. When I advance my arguments, instead of saying "I don't want to talk about this" (which she should have said if she really doesn't want to), she says: "Ok. But what if you're wrong?" It's boring and infuriating. She's just turning down my arguments without 1. letting me know that she's not interested, if that's true 2. even evaluating them, and just refusing to consider them. If you're going to talk about this, show my statements the proper respect. If not, you can always tell me to shut my trap. What's THIS?! Here's me trying to have a discussion about something, and she's acting like a bloody wall. I reiterate. If you don't want to hear it, tell me to STFU.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
One of my best friends is INTP, and we get on generally pretty well. Because we're both not controversial, we don't enter into any of the petty high school conflicts. But its gets very frustrating when I'm furiously lambasting some asshole in the news, and she's like: What? Really? You know, I don't really care about any of that. You get too passionate about this stuff. Yeah. If I'm too passionate, she's passionless. Because of some of the conflicts she's had with friends in the past (and they got UGLY), she's extremely averse to emotional outbursts, so she goes out of her way to spurn them. And you know, when she does that to me, she just seem like some flippant, uninspired robot who doesn't have an opinion on anything. Sometimes I don't want to be her friend, because she's so uninteresting to talk to; talk about somebody who refuses to have an opinion. She's the only INTP I know who's quite so bland; other INTPs are interesting and dynamic.

Socrates is an INTP too, and he CLEARLY has opinions. When he cross examines people, he actually makes them realize the error in their argument. Not her. When I advance my arguments, instead of saying "I don't want to talk about this" (which she should have said if she really doesn't want to), she says: "Ok. But what if you're wrong?" It's boring and infuriating. She's just turning down my arguments without 1. letting me know that she's not interested, if that's true 2. even evaluating them, and just refusing to consider them. If you're going to talk about this, show my statements the proper respect. If not, you can always tell me to shut my trap. What's THIS?! Here's me trying to have a discussion about something, and she's acting like a bloody wall. I reiterate. If you don't want to hear it, tell me to STFU.
Are you sure you are good friends? Because that sounds as if you're actually quite frustrated with your friendship <.<

·
Registered
450 Posts
I tend to enjoy them as distant friends and mental companions. I get a lot of pleasure from their thoughts and greatly appreciate many aspects of their person.

Reactions: Persephone

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
They're indecisive, longwinded, obtuse, worthless people who cannot finish anything they start, are never on time, and rarely have anything insightful to say.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
I only know a few INTJ and they are perhaps the people I get along with the most. They seem to be a lot like INFJ in many ways, except the INTJ's I know don't give a crap of what people think of them--which is one of the main reasons why I love being around them. They sort of give me this brief feeling of not caring what people are thinking when they pass by--it is a wonderful thing haha--lucky people.

By the way, I've always wanted to name my kids Mason and Noah haha. you have a good name.

Edit: Wow, I'm a retard! I thought this post was directed towards INTJ--scientist, not INTP xD Disregard my entire post.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I only know a few INTJ and they are perhaps the people I get along with the most. They seem to be a lot like INFJ in many ways, except the INTJ's I know don't give a crap of what people think of them--which is one of the main reasons why I love being around them. They sort of give me this brief feeling of not caring what people are thinking when they pass by--it is a wonderful thing haha--lucky people.

By the way, I've always wanted to name my kids Mason and Noah haha. you have a good name.
I think you have misread the thread title. They're asking for our P.O.V. toward INTP.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
Yeah, I edited my post right before you posted yours haha. Just pretend you never read it :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
There's this one INTP... Lots of respect for him, we get compared very often but in working situation is where my J and his P are very clearly defined. Let's just say, unless he's doing something out of pure choice or interest, he's one of the most passive people I've ever met. A lot of people I know think pretty lowly of him due to his skewed work ethic (which might be INTP-related, dunno) and for just being one of the most awkward people on the planet.

Besides those faults he's definitely one of the most interesting people I know. I know that if he just ditches some of those P tendencies, he'll go pretty far in life.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yeah, I edited my post right before you posted yours haha. Just pretend you never read it :D
Don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. :proud: I enjoyed reading it anyway. INFJ and INTJ are really similar its just that normally its thinking first and MAYBE a small peek at what feeling has to say. The INFJ feels all these things and then slides into what they think about it. We both speak the same language with Ni. I'm talking generalities here as there are some things where I can get stupid emotional about via anger. Like, I don't like old people being neglected when under someone else's care and I don't like children being hit and I'm highly likely to go temporarily psycho.

Reactions: Helios

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I've dated (very loosely) two male INTPs, I've had two female INTPs as best friends, and one female and one male INTP as a close friends. I would say I love them in general, only the first INTP I dated casually was a few sandwiches short of a picnic and became clingy real fast.

What I love about INTPs:
- Intellectually daring. They hold no assumptions sacred and will question everything that most others hold sacred. My INTP close friend (roommate of my INTP roommate, incidentally) would propose a premise. My INTP and I would point out the logical conclusion that is taboo or controversial, and he would just shrug his shoulders: "Meh." That's his way of saying: There's no way I'm abandoning this premise, yet I will respect logic, so if that's the conclusion, then I'll bite the bullet."
- Earnest and no-nonsense. I have only met two manipulative INTPs, but otherwise what you see (or hear) is what you get.
- Capacity for deep connection. I know I've complained about my INTP's capacity in the past, but he's the only one who took so long and even that is starting to change. I read somewhere that both INTPs and INFJs have very strong walls, but I never seem to notice them. I normally have very strong walls too but when confronted with fellow INxx types, I buckle almost immediately.
- Love of good conversation. I considered a female INTP my "soulmate" because we understood each other to the core. We were always in the same circle of friends, but our friendships started (I still remember!) when we randomly began speaking online and that conversation lasted all night. The next day I saw her at school and wasn't really sure what to say to her. In real life, she was a friendly acquaintance at best, but in just one night I felt like someone had finally understood me. It felt like meeting an online friend. I know this person, but I don't know this person.

What I dislike about INTPs:
- Can become clingy. This happened in some sense or another to all but two INTP of the six I've been in a friendship or relationship with (and not necessarily to me). The latter INTP female, I met at a camp and as expected we began speaking almost immediately and it lasted all night as well. The next couple of days she was glued to me (and suggested we ditch our beds and sleep in another room together) and I felt our level of familiarity did not warrant such actions. Even with my aforementioned best friend, we did not become this close this fast, and kept our respectful distance and a display of formality until we had a couple more mind-bending discussions.
- Can be very emotionally guarded and refuse to share anything with you. Only happened with my current boyfriend, not sure if it's really his INTP or just himself.
- Shrugging! Literally or figuratively (though they physically shrug quite a lot) When we talk about controversial topics, many of the six I know refused to have an opinion, citing all that they don't know ("Well, I haven't heard from her that it was what she was thinking." "Come on. You're a smart person. Look at their interaction. It's obvious.") to conclude anything. Many also like to say: "Well, you can never really prove that". Very post-modernist and relativist, doesn't mesh well with my absolutist tendencies. Aside from my INTP. He never shrugs, and seems to have a strong and clear opinion on most things he cares about, but sometimes I suspect he's borderline J- a very well rounded personality, with weak I and weak P.

There's this one INTP... Lots of respect for him, we get compared very often but in working situation is where my J and his P are very clearly defined. Let's just say, unless he's doing something out of pure choice or interest, he's one of the most passive people I've ever met. A lot of people I know think pretty lowly of him due to his skewed work ethic (which might be INTP-related, dunno) and for just being one of the most awkward people on the planet.

Besides those faults he's definitely one of the most interesting people I know. I know that if he just ditches some of those P tendencies, he'll go pretty far in life.
Yeah, most of them are passive. But meh, I'm passive too. It annoys me sometimes but I would be a hypocrite to complain. I have a weak J and a strong Ti and sometimes I feel like an INTP myself, complete with all the things I don't like about INTPs (and all the things I like about them!). Sometimes it's fun being on the borderline.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts