Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the shadow of our inferior, I can’t see any reason a young healthy Ti dom would ever reasonably get along with an Fi-dom (ISFPs mainly, and to an extent, certain unhealthy INFPs)

I mean I used to get along really truly well with INFPs in the short run (maybe even romantically) but, Fi doms have this thing where you are all or nothing to them, black and white. You’re in the inaccurate category or the “accurate” category. The “I care” or the “don’t care” category.

I just couldn’t see the world that way, I’m a shades of grey type of person, and that black/white Thinking really ticks me off. If you offend me, you will get questions, not conclusions. I would want to ask you “why” you said that or did this. All I ever hear from Fi doms, is how they assert personal rules for everything, you’re either this or that.

I also disagree that people can be both benevolent, charming and obstinate at the same time. If you believe your personal rules and opinions are mightier than others, than that is obstinance, and there is nothing “sensitively beautiful” about that. It’s arrogant.

Over time, I realized I couldn’t relate to this thinking at all. I tried to relate but my efforts were stagnated, now I’m older, I’m developing my Fe, so I have more of an understanding of what is personally significant to people in relationships and groups. I started being more accepting of others religious beliefs, which is very uncharacteristic of me. Likewise, I also became very accepting of others’ stances and personal values and black white rules, and the issues I have with this personally are minimal to moderate (mostly under control), but I can’t help but think it being such a problem for the early innocent child INTP .

Though, I can’t help to think that these memories of arguments I’ve had with ISFP 3w2s/6w7s or ESFP 7w6s, will ever go away. I was wondering if any other INTP could relate to my thinking.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
Black & white thinking isn't that common in INFPs from what I've seen, because Ne is too concerned with possibilities. I've only seen xSFPs act in that manner because Se is interested in the immediate reality and their Ni gives them seemingly irrefutable 'truths'.

I've been in a relationship with an INTP for almost a decade, he knows MBTI so he understands my thought processes and Fi to him isn't an issue at all, he likes it actually. We clash more due to my Te and his Fe rather than our dom functions.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Interacting with other people, doesn't have to be about being the same. It can be, and that is fine. For a lot of relations though, it can be a chance to learn and to appreciate being different. We're all different because we can work in teams where everyone brings something different to the table.

I think a lot of Ti-doms will view it that way. Disliking people because they're different is a very normal human impulse, but it won't get you anywhere.

·
Banned
339 Posts
My sister is an ISFP. Impulsive, reckless, snaps easily, reacts to everything emotionally and can't be reasoned with. Not the healthiest of ISFP's, clearly.
My younger brother is an ISFP, and he's exactly the same. Maybe it's age. I really hope it's just the age.

Reactions: xraydav

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
I don't mind INFPs if they aren't unhealthy. However with dom Fi, they tend to be more 'selfish' with their own inner world which can clash with my Fe. I noticed though INFPs are more likely to be more 'inner world' and 'individually moralistic' rather than ISFPs who are much better adaptors compared to their intuitive counterparts.

An ISFP would rather act for their morals while an INFP would most likely speak and speak constantly about it but less likely act, which made to get along ISFP much better than INFPs.

·
Banned
339 Posts

·
Banned
339 Posts
Reactions: VinnieBob

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
And at what age does that happen?
It is a gradual process that depends on the individual; some people use it more than others. Which, by the way, it not always a good thing per se (dom-ter loop).
Remember also that it is never going to be develop 'perfectly' - if we consider the measure to be the dom position of the same function in other types.

A general line can be drawn however, since the strength of the tertiary function is largely the result of maturity; the natural aging course of an individual. Properly development of the tertiary function does not happen before 20-30 years of age. It blooms around 40-60 years of age, and is only really first turned to around... perhaps 10 or 12.

So... Anything before that is the 'embryo' stage, after that the function hits adolescence (20-30 in human years), and matures when a person is deep into adulthood (the famous midlife crises era). Then I guess it pretty much stagnates. Because, like I said, it can only dream of the level of competence that is the exclusive right of dom (and aux) functions.

But yeah, look at yourself. I don't know your age, but think of 'how often' and 'since when' you use your Si. And, more importantly: 'when it has actualy been of any use?' I think the above antrophology is not too far off.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Black & white thinking isn't that common in INFPs from what I've seen, because Ne is too concerned with possibilities. I've only seen xSFPs act in that manner because Se is interested in the immediate reality and their Ni gives them seemingly irrefutable 'truths'.

I've been in a relationship with an INTP for almost a decade, he knows MBTI so he understands my thought processes and Fi to him isn't an issue at all, he likes it actually. We clash more due to my Te and his Fe rather than our dom functions.
@Red Panda

I don’t want to offend, but INFPs shouldn’t have conscious control over their inferior function, it’s most likely you’re a Te type. (XNTJ) I think I’ve PMed you about this too. So you already know I think this of you.

basically, I have no clue how to use my inferior Fe, and it shows up a lot as consideration when I’m stressing out about something. If i had more control over it , I wouldn’t have to make this thread. I would get along better with Fi-doms, etc.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
@xraydav

Answer to OP question: I prefer to keep Fi users at distance. (Meaning 'anything more than friends is probabaly trouble'.)

I hope someone proves me wrong one day, but from a theoritical point of view, their Fi just weighs on my Fe. It weighs. My Fe in itself is more than enough to deal with (I mean that in a positive way too), so I can do without an extra layer of the mysterious emotional perspective.
For close connections, I much, much prefer Fe users (yes, Fe doms even, for that matter). At least we are in my Fe together.

Also - similar they may be - but Ti doesn't get along well with Fi (and the other way around). Ti likes to construct and exploit theories with logic as its only tool. Fi listens... and perhaps even nods (fooling our Fe)... but really burns down everything we say with their precious, rigid, indestructible Fi value system.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is a gradual process that depends on the individual; some people use it more than others. Which, by the way, it not always a good thing per se (dom-ter loop).
Remember also that it is never going to be develop 'perfectly' - if we consider the measure to be the dom position of the same function in other types.

A general line can be drawn however, since the strength of the tertiary function is largely the result of maturity; the natural aging course of an individual. Properly development of the tertiary function does not happen before 20-30 years of age. It blooms around 40-60 years of age, and is only really first turned to around... perhaps 10 or 12.

So... Anything before that is the 'embryo' stage, after that the function hits adolescence (20-30 in human years), and matures when a person is deep into adulthood (the famous midlife crises era). Then I guess it pretty much stagnates. Because, like I said, it can only dream of the level of competence that is the exclusive right of dom (and aux) functions.

But yeah, look at yourself. I don't know your age, but think of 'how often' and 'since when' you use your Si. And, more importantly: 'when it has actualy been of any use?' I think the above antrophology is not too far off.
Agreed. This makes sense to me.

When I was studying Jung in my psychology course, i learned about his theory regarding the midlife crises, basically the way the individual learns to “give back” to the next generation, will be through the inferior function. The time he or she hits the mid life stage, the crises they suffer is a result of the inferior function and unconscious aspects of their personality.

I think I use my tertiary function now in my 20s, but it’s only slowly becoming a positive thing, it used to be purely a negative thing that held me back, (i.e. maladaptive daydreaming, negative view of the immediate world or past, etc). Now I reminisce about good high school memories when I’m around friends and family.

·
Banned
339 Posts

Actually, I just want him to be a but more aware of the consequences of his actions, and therefore be a bit more prepared when taking his resposnabilities for them. He seems to think that, when it comes to him (he's unforgiving towards others), if his intentions are good, then whatever the consequences.

I started using my Si in my early twenties (I'm in my mid-twenties). My problem is Fe...

Reactions: xraydav

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
@Red Panda

I don’t want to offend, but INFPs shouldn’t have conscious control over their inferior function, it’s most likely you’re a Te type. (XNTJ) I think I’ve PMed you about this too. So you already know I think this of you.

basically, I have no clue how to use my inferior Fe, and it shows up a lot as consideration when I’m stressing out about something. If i had more control over it , I wouldn’t have to make this thread. I would get along better with Fi-doms, etc.
You would be surprised about the INFP's Te. It works in tandem: Fi-Te. Their Te is about pushing through their goals. Stirred on by passion, they can be real tenacious characters, INFPs. "I want it that way - and will reach it too." That is the Te voice in their head.

Like inferior Fe, it is quite out of control and it reflects in their behavior.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Actually, I just want him to be a but more aware of the consequences of his actions, and therefore be a bit more prepared when taking his resposnabilities for them. He seems to think that, when it comes to him (he's unforgiving towards others), if his intentions are good, then whatever the consequences.
Not muuuch to do with MBTI and functions. I mean, weren't we all selfish, unwitting little bastards at one stage?

The one answer = EXPERIENCE. (So: age, time, patience.)

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You would be surprised about the INFP's Te. It works in tandem: Fi-Te. Their Te is about pushing through their goals. Stirred on by passion, they can be real tenacious characters, INFPs. "I want it that way - and will reach it too." That is the Te voice in their head.

Like inferior Fe, it is quite out of control and it reflects in their behavior.

I agree with you 100% , they go into that whole Te mode at times. However, I think it comes too naturally to some, and in young INFPs it’s often stressed and reactionary.

·
exploring space
ENFP
9,476 Posts
@Red Panda

I'm not offended though I do disagree, as you know. I score close on the T/F axis in tests and I think the reasons may be others, that don't get measured well through the tests. For example I've had a dom and aux Te parent as well as my first teen love being INTJ which helped me a lot with my Te.

It's not that we control the Te but rather that it's there and makes us behave in certain ways, like wanting things to be done my way and perfect. When trying to use Te, i.e. for work or school it can also get exhausting real fast, which is why I tend to use it in short bursts and end up leaving things unfinished. I don't want to get too off topic with this, there's a thread about Te in the INFP forums, here

·
Registered
3,760 Posts

Wasn't the tertiary function technically never focused on my Jung?

If I recall correctly Jung focused mainly on the dominant function along with the inferior, and how the dominant function correlates with the auxiliary function. Basically the tertiary function is up to perspective and we can only have several own theories about it with Jung only focusing on the 1st,2nd and 4th function but not the 3rd. Realistically the tertiary function seizes to exist, but with our inferior function being the opposite of our dominant, so in this case inferior Fe counters dominant Ti, it'll only make sense for auxiliary Ne to be countered by tertiary Si.

There's no good indication of how 'strong' our tertiary function can actually be, it isn't our weak part like our inferior, but it isn't our main part like our dominant part, it's just 'there'. So really there's no indication when it can develop super early or not.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts