Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only in anime =(

Votes: 2 2.8%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think. keep in mind, we're talking about external beauty, everyone has the potential to be internally beautiful, but that isn't the topic of this thread.

personally, I think it doesn't exist. I think people are naturally ugly and unless they
- have good hygiene
- are in reasonable shape
- wear styles that bring out their attractive qualities and minimize their flaws
- take care of their skin
- shave their body hair (and their facial hair, unless it's styled in a professional looking manner that looks good on them)

if I were in a a hunter gatherer tribe, I would probably not want to have sex because everyone over the age of 15 would look ugly to me

I'm not making this thread to be mean or anything, I don't treat people who aren't attractive any worse than people who are (I don't even consider myself that attractive, maybe in the 5-7 range) but I just don't like to look at most people.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love women:

Not many women are hot on sight without taking very very good care of themselves.

But almost any woman can become hot over time, as I get to know their eccentricities of spirit and the intricacies of their physical body, if they give themselves over to me wholly.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think there are people who are beautiful on their own. I know a few. I do have a hard time distinguishing who someone is from what though so perhaps I am not the best one to ask...

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Natural beauty to me comes across in your way of carrying yourself. I don't mean haughtiness or conviviality. However people I find naturally beautiful have an air about them. It's one of elegance and expressive eyes. I can't really verbalise what I find beautiful... Sorry.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I don't believe in that bullshit phrase "everyone is beautiful" internally OR externally.
That being said, I do believe some people do possess some degree of natural beauty/attractiveness.
To me, that's biology. There are (obviously) physical factors men and women are biologically attracted to, and we are not consciously aware of a lot of them.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
You did give a very strict deifnition of natural beauty, but i still think some people are naturally beautiful, I like messy hair on certain people, and some people can still look really hot in unflattering clothes.

I would also note that some people are born with very little body hair, my dad and my brother both naturally have very little body hair.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I can't really extrapolate a difference between someone's physical appearance and who they are as a person. Maybe it's Ni or Fe, but even when I look at a picture of someone, having never met them, I can gauge the type of person they are, and whether my imagination about them is right or wrong, I base my approval of their appearance with that factored in.

To me, nearly every woman has a natural attractiveness about her. IMHO, women don't need the makeup or style nearly as much as they think they do, or as much as society demands they should. Also, most women have qualities about them that I also find attractive, like kindness, gentleness, and compassion. Even the thinker types who think they're as soft as a brick wall are still lovable in their own ways.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I think some people are naturally good looking while others like myself would have to try harder, such as working out to get decent muscle mass. Some guys are naturally more muscular and some women are just naturally prettier than others.

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
People were attracted to each other long before we had skin care products or anything resembling modern hygiene.
that's what confuses me, I don't think I would even feel attraction before such a time existed. I would probably think I was asexual if I lived before the at least the late renaissance. I often wish my standards were lower, but it's just really difficult to turn me on

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
that's what confuses me, I don't think I would even feel attraction before such a time existed. I would probably think I was asexual if I lived before the at least the late renaissance. I often wish my standards were lower, but it's just really difficult to turn me on
Most standards of hygiene are culturally based. If you lived in a different part of the world today you'd have different standards, and even more so if you lived in a different time.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most standards of hygiene are culturally based. If you lived in a different part of the world today you'd have different standards, and even more so if you lived in a different time.
I doubt it lol
I think I would end up perpetually thinking humans were gross or something lol

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think it exists but I kinda agree with what you were saying about hair. At least in terms of men, I don't know that I could find men with big beards attractive either. Body hair...depends where. A little body hair can be fine in the right places, but only a little, and I'm not a fan of facial hair. (I have a little, but that's because my boyfriend actually likes it; I'd say it suits me and I keep it trimmed and groomed). But that doesn't rule "natural beauty" out even by our standards. We have to remember some men genetically aren't super hairy to begin with. It also depends a lot on the ethnicity.

Skincare products...I'm not sure what you mean by this. They help, but I think you can look perfectly attractive without them. Unless without them your skin is covered in eczema or acne (rare in tribal societies) or something. Having no/rotting teeth, on the other hand...

Women are different since they're less "hairy" to begin with. Some women have thicker than average arm hair, which I have to admit I'd find a little weird, but with a man that's perfectly normal. But I have to say the makeup that most women wear is excessive, IMO. Most men don't seem to care about it.

I think we'd just have different standards. We wouldn't have anything to compare them to. I do think you'd probably experience sexual attraction in an ancient tribe if you'd grown up in it.

I also think there is such a thing as being "overgroomed"...just looking plastic and weird...

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it exists but I kinda agree with what you were saying about hair. At least in terms of men, I don't know that I could find men with big beards attractive either. Body hair...depends where. A little body hair can be fine in the right places, but only a little, and I'm not a fan of facial hair. (I have a little, but that's because my boyfriend actually likes it; I'd say it suits me and I keep it trimmed and groomed). But that doesn't rule "natural beauty" out even by our standards. We have to remember some men genetically aren't super hairy to begin with. It also depends a lot on the ethnicity.

Skincare products...I'm not sure what you mean by this. They help, but I think you can look perfectly attractive without them. Unless without them your skin is covered in eczema or acne (rare in tribal societies) or something. Having no/rotting teeth, on the other hand...

Women are different since they're less "hairy" to begin with. Some women have thicker than average arm hair, which I have to admit I'd find a little weird, but with a man that's perfectly normal. But I have to say the makeup that most women wear is excessive, IMO. Most men don't seem to care about it.

I think we'd just have different standards. We wouldn't have anything to compare them to. I do think you'd probably experience sexual attraction in an ancient tribe if you'd grown up in it.

I also think there is such a thing as being "overgroomed"...just looking plastic and weird...
true dat.
tasteful makeup = win
glitter and gaudy makeup = FAIL

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Skin care treatments have been around for thousands of years, maybe longer. Also, people in primitive societies usually paired up before age 20, thus generally avoiding diminished attraction due to aging. Most people beyond their prime reproductive potential are not that naturally physically attractive and of course there are more than a few uglies even among the young.

Reactions: Swordsman of Mana

·
Registered
11 Posts
Obviously, like one poster mentioned above, we can be more attracted to certain people than others. But. I believe that beauty is so changeable and so controversial.

What is beautiful to me;
1. Proper hygiene
2. You can tell that this person treats their body right by not putting GMO foods/highly processed/chemicals/etc...on and in their body.
3. How a person treat other people actually changes how I view them externally. If a guy/girl is a total douche bag, even though they might be, 'attractive' I will find them not attractive anymore/less attractive.
4. How this person carries themself. Self confidence, even though an internal thing, reflects on the external, making them shine/more beautiful.

I think it would be interesting if everyone wore plain clothes for a day and wore no makeup/lotion/chemicals.....

·
Registered
254 Posts
There are women who roll out of bed looking like they stepped off of the cover of Glamour. It exists. Rare but still exists.

·
Registered
771 Posts
so.....

since "beauty" is naturally just a feeling, so we will find certain ppl naturally beautiful from time to time.
most people won't be hurt by some grooming, although some work better others, some not.

but...
personal hygiene is nothing to do with beauty, it is about health and discipline!!! You shower not only need to look clean and smell good, but most importantly you do this so wash away gems that will make you sick! you brush teeth is not only make your teeth to look clean, but is mainly to prevent you from having cavity!!!!

(okay I done trolling)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts