Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really known what to think of public displays of affection. If I'm in a relationship I have always typically differed to whatever my SO wants. That being said, there are several social settings in which I deem PDA inappropriate.For instance, I once went to a condo with a lady friend and her indirect family. I woke up one morning and got into a fascinating discussion of aqua dynamics with her uncle. By the time my friend woke up the discussion also involved her aunt and grand parents. She proceeded to plop down in my lap and smother me :blushed: the girl had no shame. Her grandmother later pulled me aside and explained appropriate times to display affection . Has anyone else experienced the wrath of a one who enjoys to smother? What are your takes on PDA?

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,197 Posts
it can be entertaining at times in cyber cafes and on nature trails.

I don't really have much issues with it... except for those saccharine filled terrorists that take it to an uncomfortable extreme... whether with their pets, their kids or their s.o. Not much for the people prone to air kisses either.

But I was raised in a more traditional time... when you waited all year for pride, and the white party, and halloween, and the black & blue festival... and maybe a couple others.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
PDA? I don't care

Reactions: nadjasix

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not much for the people prone to air kisses either.

But I was raised in a more traditional time... when you waited all year for pride, and the white party, and halloween, and the black & blue festival... and maybe a couple others.
What on earth is an air kiss? lol I think I grasped the black and blue festival but you good sir talk in code.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It depends on the context. I've never had someone smother, but obviously in front of the family would be a no no, which is one of the million reasons I abhor weddings. I'd rather not be that privy to a family member's intimacy (show offs :dry:). No one cares in most other public settings though.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I've never really known what to think of public displays of affection. If I'm in a relationship I have always typically differed to whatever my SO wants. That being said, there are several social settings in which I deem PDA inappropriate.For instance, I once went to a condo with a lady friend and her indirect family. I woke up one morning and got into a fascinating discussion of aqua dynamics with her uncle. By the time my friend woke up the discussion also involved her aunt and grand parents. She proceeded to plop down in my lap and smother me :blushed: the girl had no shame. Her grandmother later pulled me aside and explained appropriate times to display affection . Has anyone else experienced the wrath of a one who enjoys to smother? What are your takes on PDA?
I think your girl was marking her territory :) In which case, refer her grandmother to her. Or not. Whatever. I like how the grandmother blamed *you*.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Yeah, I get a little bit uncomfortable when I get put into a PDA situation and I'm the one doing it. A moderate amount of PDA I can handle, but then I think it gets obnoxious. However, I have been guilty of it and won't tell a horny girl to become less horny. That's like turning down a good gift. At family functions, I would not be comfortable with PDA at all though.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
It's just like any other social convention to me. People know what the general bounds are. Given, those bounds vary depending on situation. If a couple is going way over the top they're either inconsiderate pricks, trying to make an obnoxious statement to someone(s) (family?), or something truly amazing just happened and they can't help themselves.

Two out of three of those make you an asshole in my book. So, I guess a majority of the time I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I hate PDA. It makes me so uncomfortable so I wouldn't even enjoy it. Unless I have large amounts of alcohol in my system, I will not do it. I don't even like holding hands but that's because it makes walking more difficult, not because of the PDA factor.

As far as other people participating in PDA in front of me, I don't really mind that much but if the couple constantly does it and they do it while I am trying to talk to them, I get pretty irritated. It is so rude to just start making out in front of a person who is speaking to you. I don't really care about other ppl doing it if I am not actively conversing with them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It's just like any other social convention to me. People know what the general bounds are. Given, those bounds vary depending on situation. If a couple is going way over the top they're either inconsiderate pricks, trying to make an obnoxious statement to someone(s) (family?), or something truly amazing just happened and they can't help themselves.

Two out of three of those make you an asshole in my book. So, I guess a majority of the time I'm not a fan.
YES!!!This is exactly how I feel. Obnoxious statement or flat out inconsiderate; there's really no other reason.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
If I saw Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley making out back in the day, I would not have enjoyed that particular sight. Otherwise, go nuts.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.