Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be a sophomore in college this fall, and I go to a liberal arts school. I can't stand the way we're required to take "general education" classes in order to expose us to variety or something. What is the point of history? The way I see it, it's over and done with. We're bound to repeat it anyway. Why take the class? Granted, I'm taking it this summer because 6 weeks is better than the usual 14 or so weeks during the fall/spring. It means less info to learn. Or more in a faster time period. Depends on the professor. I had a lot of reading, but now I'll be DONE.

My strategy (N) is that I'll memorize the info the professor wants us to know. I study very hard to do this. Usually I'll form patterns to help me remember the info for the test. I'll ace the test. The second after the test is over, however, the material's forgotten. The validity of the educational system is bogus. My high A's do not show that I'm a well-rounded individual. They show that I'm an excellant faker/memorizer. I just don't see the point of taking classes I will never use. They are SUCH a waste of time! All this effort spent memorizing to impress the professors and get my A's could be spend on much more valuable activities. Yet it's the GPA that grad schools (my next goal) notice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It depends on the goal.

If your main goal is to get into a good grad school then there really are no pointless classes. All classes are a chance to boost your GPA.

If you are a scholar at heart, do your best to find things in the material that you find interesting.

Either way, it is a representation of the failure that is institutionalized scholarship.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the glasses aren't pointless then (they ARE increasing my GPA). They're just boring in the highest! What about the fact that I must take these boring classes? Are you suggesting I try to find something interesting about them? There is nothing! Tried and true (already found my severe lack of interest during high school).

·
Registered
791 Posts
I refused to take them, opting instead for a self-designed course of study and an eventual degree in Interdisciplinary Studies. It was much more rigorous than the typical statically designed college curricula and I'm certain I am the better for it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I dislike pointless classes, and I also agree with you that there are a lot of pointless classes. It seems that there are courses required for my major in which I am not interested, and will not aid me in any way. I usually just attempt to make the most of classes that are useless and search for some intrinsic motivation to learn the material.

·
Registered
560 Posts
No matter how pointless a class or a topic being discussed in a class is, I always tell myself that it's just another piece of knowledge that I have to know. So, there... Plus it helps boosting my GPA.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hate having a critical thinking class. I thought it would be easy since thinking critically comes natural to me, but we also have to learn how to work in teams, which is what most of the class seems to be about. Everything we do is team related, it's such a waste of time and money, IMO.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll be a sophomore in college this fall, and I go to a liberal arts school.
Me too! Reppin west coast here baby ;)
What is the point of history? The way I see it, it's over and done with. We're bound to repeat it anyway.
Well, there are unlimited universes that could have happened, but in our universe, only certain things did happen. We use history to find clues and patterns to what happened, why it happened, and how we can change it, control it, to make something else happen. It's very simple, history is utilized everywhere. But if you're not interested in the subject, you're not interested in it. What are you interested in?

Why take the class?
Because you have to? It's good that your questioning things, that's basically what college is for, to expand your thinking.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I found college a complete waste of time, so I dropped out, perhaps this is a little odd coming from an INTJ, but I saw the bigger picture of the whole educational institution and needless to say, I don't agree how we are taught, why we are taught, etc. I find that being an autodidact is much more enjoyable, I go at my own pace, I don't have to pay attention to retarded topics that make me come up with a bullshit response just to get a passing grade etc. I could go on, but I'll stop here. Needless to say, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found college a complete waste of time, so I dropped out, perhaps this is a little odd coming from an INTJ, but I saw the bigger picture of the whole educational institution and needless to say, I don't agree how we are taught, why we are taught, etc. I find that being an autodidact is much more enjoyable, I go at my own pace, I don't have to pay attention to retarded topics that make me come up with a bullshit response just to get a passing grade etc. I could go on, but I'll stop here. Needless to say, I feel your pain.
And how has it treated you?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
And how has it treated you?
How has what treated me? My decision? If you are referring to that, quite well and somewhat unexpected. I'm actually quite happy about the way my life has turned out, I wouldn't trade it in for anything. Prior to that, when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do, that was hell because I always had many interests and could never pinpoint just one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
How has what treated me? My decision? If you are referring to that, quite well and somewhat unexpected. I'm actually quite happy about the way my life has turned out, I wouldn't trade it in for anything. Prior to that, when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do, that was hell because I always had many interests and could never pinpoint just one.
That sounds like me right now. I'm realizing I'm at a turning point in my life, where if I focus hard enough, thought things out and avoid as much bullshit as I can, I can do just about anything I want. My problem is I have so many interests that I can't decide what I want to do with my life.

What do you do for money? Fun? How do you spend your alone time?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have a job, like anyone else, it meets my needs and it's low stress, that's the key thing for me, low stress and makes decent money. It's odd, but I don't need brain challenging things at work, I'm in there to get in, do my work and then get the fuck out because I have a life. If I want mental stimulation I look for it in my life and work is not my life, nor something that defines me. Work is only meant for survival of basic needs to me, the less you can do, the better is my philosophy, that way you can pursue other "real" interests.

For fun, I do all kinds of things, hiking, reading, surfing the net, traveling, learning, laughing, exchanging good conversations with close friends/family, watch movies, taking pictures/photography, making music videos, making and or creating sound/music, listening to music, may get back into drawing, the list goes on. I spend alone time alone, doing the things I mentioned above by myself or with one or two people.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RainetheWolf, that was how I felt when I took my composition 2 class! It involved critical thinking so I thought I'd be excellent at it, but it turns out my professor was a STRONG "S", and she didn't get my "N" writing one bit. I got "too abstract" on just about every sentence.

Steve, I'm interested in psychology and everything relating to it - which is everything really. I'll narrow that, though. I like figuring out the behaviors that make people individuals. For example, I withdraw to the extreme when overwhelmed. Not many people use that technique. Most people I know anyway will scream or break things when they're overstressed. As much as I enjoy spotting patterns, I get a real kick out of finding the exceptions.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I'll be a sophomore in college this fall, and I go to a liberal arts school. I can't stand the way we're required to take "general education" classes in order to expose us to variety or something. What is the point of history? The way I see it, it's over and done with. We're bound to repeat it anyway. Why take the class? Granted, I'm taking it this summer because 6 weeks is better than the usual 14 or so weeks during the fall/spring. It means less info to learn. Or more in a faster time period. Depends on the professor. I had a lot of reading, but now I'll be DONE.

My strategy (N) is that I'll memorize the info the professor wants us to know. I study very hard to do this. Usually I'll form patterns to help me remember the info for the test. I'll ace the test. The second after the test is over, however, the material's forgotten. The validity of the educational system is bogus. My high A's do not show that I'm a well-rounded individual. They show that I'm an excellant faker/memorizer. I just don't see the point of taking classes I will never use. They are SUCH a waste of time! All this effort spent memorizing to impress the professors and get my A's could be spend on much more valuable activities. Yet it's the GPA that grad schools (my next goal) notice.
One obvious response to this is to ask why you picked a liberal arts college. If you have excellent grades, why not a large school or a technical school where you can concentrate on taking only exactly what you need for a future job.

You may not realize it, but you have stored something from each of those classes in your brain and it may come in handy later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts