Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am unashamedly piggybacking on the what does marriage mean to you thread here, rather than derailing it though i thought i would put another question out there
i'm not just referring to islamic or mormon polygamous marriages either
this question would encompass non-religious polygamous settled relationships between consenting adults also, as well as 'one woman multiple man' marriages
i sometimes think that whilst two people may wish to marry and maybe make children, the time may come when one of them falls in love with another for whatever reason, and rather than a divorce taking place, it might be preferable for the first marriage to continue and the second one happen with everyone being open and nobody lying and a divorce with all the upheaval that goes with it being required so a man could quite legally make an honest woman of both women he loved (same goes for the other way round too)
what do we think?

Reactions: amanda32

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I think there could be a lot of benefits to a polyamous marriage .

The whole point is honesty. If everyone is really okay with it -- it's good.
Especially since women already have so much work to do; cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of the kids, shopping, plus now she
also usually has to work at least part-time then have enough energy to come home and be sexy for her husband...

Imagine he had 2 wives! She could get a nap in!!

Reactions: ariana20

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there could be a lot of benefits to a polyamous marriage . The whole point is honesty. If everyone is really okay with it -- it's good. Especially since women already have so much work to do; cooking, cleaning, laundry, taking care of the kids, shopping, plus now she also usually has to work at least part-time then have enough energy to come home and be sexy for her husband...Imagine he had 2 wives! She could get a nap in!!
this is def one of the benefits i was thinking about

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
In my mind, this seems like a great idea. Realistically, it would probably be horrific. Even if the women didn't mind, I certainly would.

In my opinion, this borders on infidelity and is something I want to try and avoid.

Polygamy only seems to work in movies and religious cults, far outside the boundaries of a sensible world.

·
Registered
543 Posts
In my mind, this seems like a great idea. Realistically, it would probably be horrific. Even if the women didn't mind, I certainly would.

In my opinion, this borders on infidelity and is something I want to try and avoid.

Polygamy only seems to work in movies and religious cults, far outside the boundaries of a sensible world.

What makes a sensible world??

·
Registered
191 Posts
It would make a mess out of our legal system, but I'm not inherently against it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not for me, but what consenting adults want to do with their lives is their own business.

It's the living arrangements and financial squabbles that would bother me. Personally I'd prefer an open relationship to having to live with another woman. I wouldn't love her and I wouldn't want to deal with someone that I did not love. And my husband would not want to live with another man. Neither of us are bisexual, and we both like quiet time and privacy, so there's no benefit.

I foresee alot of legal problems in the case of shared finances and property, and if one person is hospitalized and unconscious, then which husband or wife gets to make the medical decisions? Too much paperwork. It's hard enough to make a relationship with just 1 person work.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
What other people do is up to them, but as I really don't support marriage, I dislike polygamy that much more.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
The ONLY problem I have with polygamy is that it is always a man with lots of women
FUCK THAT
what about a women with lots of men?

That's what pisses me off it's a very opressive atmosphere.

Plus whenever the children consider 'work' to be fun that's when you know it's some fucked up shit.

Now there IS a difference with being Polyamourous that I am fine with and understand.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
You don't support marriage. Does that mean you don't support the family unit?
You don't need marriage to be a family.

Reactions: Calvaire

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,080 Posts
i am unashamedly piggybacking on the what does marriage mean to you thread here, rather than derailing it though i thought i would put another question out there
i'm not just referring to islamic or mormon polygamous marriages either
this question would encompass non-religious polygamous settled relationships between consenting adults also, as well as 'one woman multiple man' marriages
i sometimes think that whilst two people may wish to marry and maybe make children, the time may come when one of them falls in love with another for whatever reason, and rather than a divorce taking place, it might be preferable for the first marriage to continue and the second one happen with everyone being open and nobody lying and a divorce with all the upheaval that goes with it being required so a man could quite legally make an honest woman of both women he loved (same goes for the other way round too)
what do we think?
I don't like to share my toys. Neither does he.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts