Super Moderator
11,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only asking for opinions.

Reactions: Ethanol

·
Registered
428 Posts
Don't believe everything you are told? When people use this phrase, my immediate inclination is to look for those places where the salt applies. :tongue:

Reactions: Dalien

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Though I use the phrase on occasion (always quite unnecessarily, I am certain), it seems a bit redundant. As an eternal skeptic, my default state is to take things with a grain of salt, and I generally assume, or should, the same is true for everyone else. Just another way of saying, these aren't facts, just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
A good 'reminder' for me - because I too often can get carried away - because I am an odd-ball, and quite vulnerable to the world around me. I truly see 'good' first in others and things, before 'bad'. So when I hear this line - I think 'double-check' in my mind.

Also I think 'stability' because often the people who say it, are usually full of other reminders too - and those types of people sometimes help me out, because I can be too leaning on the 'positive' side in how I see external world and others. I suppose I see balance. I think that is the implication of the saying. Kind of like that 'salt of the earth' stuff. Keeping grounded, and a reasonable view.

Also maybe I can taste a bit of that salt too! Perhaps a reminder of the bitter-sweet, in life. Which isn't bad...because most Chocolate chip cookies are made with bitter-sweet chocolate chips right?

Dalien, your opening post is quite the surprise! no Novella? hahaha, I am slightly disappointed, but not really, I like to see your different sides....I can go on about sentiments of Salt and sweet, life and experiences...but I won't, it was a straightforward question! tee hee

Are you working on character or something, for a new work of yours?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Don't take something personally or when it comes to factual information use it as an estimate.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I usually just ask people how they expect me to extract just one grain of salt from the salt containing thingy*.

*I can't think of the proper word right now :p

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I gave you a thanks because of the cute avatar! I LOVE KITTENS *squeal*!

I think it means every time you read something, you grab a pinch of salt and rub it on your tongue :tongue:

I always took the word "taken with a grain of salt" to mean having some skepticism. I do wonder where the saying came from, or what the history behind it was....

Its always so interesting to find out about the origin of things. I read once that the saying 'rule of thumb' came from some law that allowed husbands to beat their wives with nothing thicker than their thumb! How strange is that?

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't know the origin of the phrase. Sometimes it seems that people use it to be skeptical of the source rather than the information itself, like.

Well this came from Sally so take it with a grain of salt.

My idea may not count because I keep subtracting my old adages.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i have actually never heard this phrase in person although have known about it for alot of my life.

I usually just ask people how they expect me to extract just one grain of salt from the salt containing thingy*.

*I can't think of the proper word right now :p
Salt shaker? i'm not even sure myself right now...

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Take news with a grain of salt

taste the news for a moment then let it go. (good or bad)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I personally dislike the phrase, but I understand and appreciate it's context

Because I am naive, I am inclined to believe things almost instantly... However, I always use this phrase on myself to maintain a healthy balance of thought (but at the same time a craving for information)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts