Personality Cafe banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.

Nothing unusual, mild insomnia, Female, nearly 14, I’m a little concerned about my sister (she’s going to Brown in the fall and is freaking out)

2. What type(s) do you usually score as on tests?

INTP (at least 12 times on 4 different tests) once ISTP, once INTJ

3. Click on this link: Flickr: Explore! Choose 2 photos and look at each for as long as you feel that you need and write your impression of each of them.

[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/carlospataca/9421881338/in/explore-2013-08-02
Why’s it black and white? Probably some artistic thing. That seems to be the usual explanation of weird things that don’t make much sense in art. It seems odd that the circle things are not part of the windows but are built away from them a little. It doesn't seem like the kind of sight that would be street level, but there is a pedestrian and a biker and some body of water which seems to indicate that it’s ground level. It could be water or maybe a street, it’s hard to tell. Why this angle? I’m no photographer, but I would have shot it straight at the corner, so you could see both sides and the edge where the two squares (could be rectangles) with circle holes meet would cover up the edge were the two faces of windows meet.

[dot]flickr[dot]com/photos/manyfires/9424734642/in/explore-2013-08-02
I wonder what makes the background look washed-out. Could it be that the sun is behind them or would that cast more shadows towards the camera? Maybe they’re so out of focus that the color of the sky starts to merge with them? Anyway, it reminds me of, in LOTR, Fangorn (the forest with the ents). It looks so solitary, like there’s nothing but trees for miles, where you could just sit and think with no one to bug you.

4. You are on the clock to fix something, a friend of yours sits beside you and gives a lot of interesting ideas, none of them actually help or are related to your situation, but they are still something you find interesting. What is your reaction? What do you say? What do you do? What's your train of thought?

First thing I do, probably laugh. My friend does this all the time and we have fun with it. I probably stop working, figure I can do it later. Then I ask her about her ideas, throw back some of my own, develop conversation, maybe write a few things down. For the first fifteen or so minutes, I only spurt out new idea after new idea. Then I start to try to drill a little deeper once I find one I like, elaborating and hammering out details (possible or impossible). Eventually, she gets bored because usually I kind of stop talking when I’m building on it and what not. At that point, she probably leaves. I make a few more notes about the idea and return to whatever I was fixing.

5a. What are some of your most important values?

Truth. Debates should never be “won” or “lost”. They should simply be the consideration and discovery of new points and new views, all of which bring us closer to unbiased truth.
Objectiveness. (Yeah, that’s a word.)
Honesty or fankness? Saying what you mean, meaning what you say, even if it sounds mean.

5b. Can they change? What would be the reason if they changed?

I’m not sure they could change. There would certainly have to be a great reason to drop any of them. To me, they’re the fundamentals of knowledge. Maybe the last one but only if great harm would come from having it like if you’re talking to someone who’s suicidal.

6. You are in a car with some other people, the people in the car are talking. Someone makes a claim that you see as immoral/rude/cruel. What is your inward reaction? What do you think? What do you say?

Why’d they say it? What was the purpose of that remark? Was it to provoke a reaction in me or anyone else? If I come to the conclusion that that is true, I remain silent. No need to rise to the bait now that I know. If not, was it a genuine remark? Do they believe it? Do I need to reconsider my standings? Can I ask them about it? Is it any of my business? If these answers allow it, I start a cautious discussion about it, trying to remain objective and respectful.

7. a) What activities energize you the most? Why?

Solitary ones were I can just get stuck in my head. Writing, because I get to create an imaginary world with imaginary people who have imaginary conversations. They’re more interesting than other people and they don’t leave. Math (especially geometry), because there’s so many systems and ways to do stuff and often the simplest way is the best and least thought of way. Sleep, for obvious reasons.

7. b) What activities drain you the most? Why?

Places and activities that are too loud or bright, because it physically hurts. Activities that scare me (bungee jumping, etc.), because they scare me. Ones where I have to stick to what I’m told (baking, knitting, etc.), because I like to experiment and when I experiment with baking, things blow up. Also because in recipes and knitting patterns no one ever says why you’re doing this or that, you just do it and if you do it well, you end up with a carbon copy of the original. (Except for Alton Brown, that guy’s great)

8. Do you believe you are introverted or extraverted? Why do you believe that? (Please be as detailed as possible)

I think I’m probably introverted, because I tend to think and work best alone. I need the silent, internal development stage of thinking to be, well, silent and internal. (but maybe everyone’s like that?) I tend to get quieter as I talk, saying less and thinking more. I’m pretty bad at explaining my ideas, because I’m trying to revise as I go, and I sort of taper off and stop talking. (Also, this may not be important, but I have exactly 3 friends.)

9. Please describe yourself, what do you see as your greatest strengths and what do you see as your greatest weaknesses?

I’m pretty average at most things. I would describe myself as curious, logical, and frank. I prize precise wording, beMy strengths would probably be working with/creating systems, coming up with absurdly simple solutions to complex things, and condensing long explanations into short summaries. My weaknesses would probably be tact, spelling (I over-spell check because I’m so bad at it.), overusing probably, and not being definite enough.

10. Please describe yourself when you are feeling stressed. How do you act and why? Real life experiences are welcome.

I do one of two things: I get super detached, rude, critical, snippy, etc. or I get super emotional. In the first case, I start to pick apart every mistake, every throwaway casual comment with no regard to respect or anything. I stop thinking about whatever is stressing me and become an editor machine. The second one is usually worse. I respond badly to others’ emotions. Really badly. Once, I was at a movie theater with my mom and she was furious because I got the wrong drink. Let me say that again: I got Pepsi instead of Coke and she was yelling. I was already upset because of a bad PE grade. She was angry and I got even more angry and scared and I started shaking and I dropped the cup which led to more anger, me being scared, and a downward spiral into a pit of stupid, violent emotions.

11. What is your "soft spot" (the area that makes you upset if people mess with)?

Maybe emotions…when a person completely ‘pegs’ (describes exactly) what I’m feeling, it freaks me out.

12. What are most of the ideas/thoughts you get generally centered around (try to expand your answers as much as possible)?

I think a lot about changing other’s opinions of widely accepted things. I think about controversial things and try to look at every angle of it. I think about justice a lot. I come up with kind of weird metaphors that no one else seems to get. I think about machines that couldn’t work or exist outside of a Sci-Fi novel.

13. What's your opinion of getting frequent feedback on what you do? (Someone pointing out what is good, what is bad, what and how to improve) Is there a limit to how often you want feedback? If so, what is the limit?

Feedback is probably the most important thing a person can say about what another person does. It helps to continually improve the idea/thing and is completely necessary. The only limit I would set is if I specifically ask a person to stop giving ‘feedback’ then I want them to stop.

14. Anything beyond what has been discussed that you would like to add?

The reasons I doubt my being an INTP are because I read this: personalitycafe[dot]com/intp-articles/15683-development-intp-children[dot]html (Can’t post links yet, sorry)

And because my friend (ENFP) insists (that’s putting it mildly) that I’m an INTJ. (After much prodding, the only reason she provided was that my fear of heights coupled with aversion to loud noises and bright lights was clearly indicates inferior Se)

When I was younger (even more so than I am now (around 3 or 4)), I was not quiet, reserved, or thoughtful. I talked constantly, like every thought I had, in order, just came out. I could always see (and explain) how I got from one thought to another, but it baffled my dad.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts