Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question for all types:

With all of the change taking place today, humankind is clearly headed somewhere. Some might feel that we're on our way up; some might feel that we're headed downward. The only thing that's undeniable, in my eyes, is that significant changes are coming - even in the near future.

Where do you think that humankind is headed? Why? How do you feel about it?

Reactions: Nox

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
It's heading to a selfish place with even more people isolated. Maybe?

I don't know. It just makes me sad. It makes me sad when I see a huge majority of food and household products sold in my supermarkets are from P&G and Unilever, who do horrible and unnecessary animal testing, and the amount of wealth and power they must have in the world. I can't cope with it. It hurts too much.

And a lot of people don't know or care as it's inconvenient to them.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Most of the production will be automated.

Loss of service/ work = massive unemployment.

Countries will be welfare states/nations.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Where do you think that humankind is headed? Why?
Let me see..., by the end of this century (2099) I think we can safely say...

Artificial intelligence will surpass human intelligence; almost every aspect of life will be computerized. All the products will have deconstruction protocols (95~99%+ recyclable) mandated by law to promote sustainability. People will live freely in a heavily socialized environment due to machines' having replaced most of human jobs. Humans will likely resort to life of entertainment and education where all the basic necessities are provided. And living forever will be, increasingly, a choice.

How do you feel about it?
I'll be happy to see this take place,
because I get to lead this change. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Honestly, I don't think that things will be all that different. Sure, we may have more gizmos and gadgets, but, fundamentally, I'm sure our societies will be the same broken things that they are today. As a species, we seem to act out an endless sequence of variations on a basic tune--while things may change on the surface, the patterns of thought and motivations that propel us continue to swing in and out of fashion at a relatively stable pace. History, after all, "doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme."

·
Registered
310 Posts
Sorry for being pessimistic.

But all i can see is humanity heading for shit.
A very few % of the people today are actually doing something to improve.
The rest is just hoping they will be able to play this new game before some sickness arrives in them.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
China and India will be the superpowers (possible Cold War?); Europe will either have developed into a massive nation state, or fragmented. Huge advances in technology extending human lifespan. Climate change brought under control by policies and technology - deemed necessary after a few major disasters. Africa the world's major food producing area. Space travel; colonies on the moon and Mars.

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
I guess the answer would very much be dependent on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist :D I usually don't like attempting to predict these things because I don't see the point and I don't know enough anyway to say either way.

Reactions: ptarmigan and MAP

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Thermodynamics preclude any real improvement. Population already outstrips food production. Greed sets policy.
My wife's Corolla gets 30 MPH on adultrated gas and 38 on alcohol free. But we support corporate frms and distillers by cnverting a gallon and a half of petroleum to a gallon of alcohol. And the fertility of the soil is being destroyed, phosphate, a limited and limiting macronutrient, is being depleted., people starve so that we can make "biofuel."

There have been doom and gloom forcasts before - but the population growth outstrips drinking water in many places. Travel spreads more deadly disease. Recycling takes more resources that the initial manufacturing process. An example, sterlizing and transporting glass jars takes far more petroleum that it takes to make a plastic bottle.

We will have nuclear war within 10 years. Biological agents, poison gas, -
In 100 years, there will be no war, no food shortages, no people -

My take on it is that it is over. Arrogance, greed and the desire to produce more and more consumers will wipe us off the face of the earth.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think the technology will be awesome.

Michio Kaku said that if our ancestors just a few generations back could see what we do with technology, they'd see us as wizards. If we were able to look a few generations in the future, we would believe our descendants to be gods. I really hope I get to see at least some of that.

As far as what humanity will be up to - I'm neither optimistic nor pessimistic. I don't really buy the idea that humankind is at its worst right now. Some shit is going on in the world, but I don't think that means we'll bring our own destruction or end up in a welfare state. We'll just have to see what happens.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Perhaps people will have developed commercially viable fusion power generators. Standards of living will probably have increased greatly all across the world, and the world will be freer and more peaceful, every bit as political but maybe people will have become just a little better at communicating with one another and reaching agreements. Perhaps people will have decided that it doesn't really matter whether global warming is human caused or not, the global climate is something we have to take care of, and maybe this will seem as natural then to people as forest management is today. Maybe it will have done some work in bringing us all together. Perhaps space near Earth will be more commercialized, and access to space will have greatly improved. Computers I bet will be a lot smarter, and able to learn more like humans. Maybe there will be that last invention humans need ever make after all, which is a machine truly more capable than themselves. Hard to imagine the consequences of that, though usually the rate at which human's ideas of what should and shouldn't be so changes sets the pace of things ... that's fast, but not faster than people can learn after all, since this just is THE rate at which people can learn. I bet things will just be more intelligent. The environment will just be more intelligible, software, more intelligible, and really maybe they'll be less different from one another. It will be more conceptual, like the way Google Glass makes things, barriers to knowledge are drastically reduced. Maybe it can make people more connected, and better able to communicate with one another. The world may be more like an interconnected intelligence, increasingly integrated, faster, cheaper, more luminous, more active, more lucid, just, smarter. Less so may we individually be like the centers of intelligence in a dumb world, but it will be made more after our image, the way that we think. It will be more natural. Maybe gene therapy will be such that a persons genetics can be revised, and even after birth maybe. Maybe our own genome will look like what global climate is, as something we have to be involved in and actively care for. Perhaps we'll be closer to being able to engineer perfectly anything we want to, just a little. The mysteries of life even will be easier to ponder. ^^

I guess the answer would very much be dependent on whether you're an optimist or a pessimist :D I usually don't like attempting to predict these things because I don't see the point and I don't know enough anyway to say either way.
I think you get a taste of people's political persuasion as well. I liked your answer. :) I always think we'll just have to find out!

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
My take on it is that it is over. Arrogance, greed and the desire to produce more and more consumers will wipe us off the face of the earth.
Humans will survive, but perhaps in different numbers. I wonder whether a major crisis will be needed to make us change direction and how much effect it could have.

I see the idea that "technology will save us" to be very much based on faith.

Thermodynamics is only an issue if we expect an ever increasing population. We can easily capture enough energy from the sun with current technology to feed 100 billion people, but do we have the political structures to support that? No, we can't even feed the people we have and our (human) world is so far from being sustainable, that I am sympathetic to those who can't imagine that it could ever be so.

Michio Kaku said that if our ancestors just a few generations back could see what we do with technology, they'd see us as wizards.
Yes, but good wizards or bad wizards? :wink:

Kaku also has made some interesting predictions in the past 20 years about how he expected things to be right now...

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Humans will survive, but perhaps in different numbers. I wonder whether a major crisis will be needed to make us change direction and how much effect it could have.

I see the idea that "technology will save us" to be very much based on faith.

Thermodynamics is only an issue if we expect an ever increasing population. We can easily capture enough energy from the sun with current technology to feed 100 billion people, but do we have the political structures to support that? No, we can't even feed the people we have and our (human) world is so far from being sustainable, that I am sympathetic to those who can't imagine that it could ever be so.

QUOTE]

There have been a number of sci-fi projections of a future where humanity has gobe back to tribes scattered across the world, and a slow climb back to "civilization. But back when, in the first rise, outcroppings of rich copper ore with arsenic were common, and this was processed to copper/arsenic bronze. Iron ore -similiar story. Simple things like soil fertility, herds of grazers, clean water (no nuclear waste, or one) facilitated the rise of civilization. That is all over and done with. We have poisoned the earth -

And solar power - again, thermodynamic efficiency insures a good percentage of "waste heat" that would make the earth uninhabital - like 20 percent of produced energy is lost in exhaust gas. That is the way the universe works. Space based coloneys and factories are pipe dreams. Pulling mass out of the gravity well makes that, other than an ark for a tiny sample of humanty, a non sequitur.

Once I dropped a slice of fresh homemade bread behind the fridge. It ws a dark, warm and somewhat humid place. First came tiny bugs, then mold, then - gee, I hope not mice -and when I found it all nutrients had been sucked out of it and it was an ugly lump of offal. Welcome to future earth.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
well shoot i don't know, it could be a lot better, it could be a lot worse

all you can really do is your best to make it better and to try and avoid the worse, that's all

so don't worry too much beyond what you can actually do about it

odds are it will probably be a lot like today: a lot of violence and selfishness and people fighting against it

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Same way it is now. People griping about how things need to change but insist that someone else does it for them. The Many can be powerful but they wish to let The Few run things for them.

Reactions: MAP

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ted talks have some great talks about this. From most of the videos to do with this, it seems that the future looks good. Smart phones will become more available to the disadvantaged, meaning in 30 years or so a massive economical boom will occur.

It is also pure fact today that we live in the best, healthiest, safest and richest time ever. I am damn glad I live now, wouldn't want to be a guy a hundred years ago getting sick, or in an accident, phew then my chances of survival would be next to nothing. So what if our food has MSG and whatever in it, I am still a million times better off then peoples from the past.

As for animal cruelty, I may be an idealist on this one but truly hope it becomes a thing of the past.

But according to social scientist Dr. Howard Bloom in his book the Lucifer principle, it seems that we as a race will always and forever be the same, for we are products of nature.

Utopia is a myth of course.

Religion will always be in existence, even if it will be skewed even more from the original.

From a very broad objective view, things should be exactly the same. You see biology shows us that even in minute scales of living organisms behave very much like us, the scale doesn't seem to have any real significance when is comes to to quest for survival.

In the far far very far future, I truly believe that we will one day plug ourselves into computers and dream of other realities, like we are doing now.LOL (inception)

This is fun, me want more...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts