Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, I thought I was an ENTP...then I decided I must have been an INTP...lol Now, I really have no idea what I am. :tongue: Maybe, all of you internet-land can help.

I suppose you need some background information.

My family: My dad is definitely an INTJ and my stepmom is an INFJ (I think anyway...) For a long time I was always kind of bummed that my dad didn't want to spend more time with his kids (now, that I've realized he's an introvert, I think I can understand why he wanted so much alone time.) My mom left when I was 11. Every time she called, she blamed me for whatever negative thing had occurred in her life. When my mom did live with us, I felt as though I was responsible for her. For a long time, I felt very alone.

I didn't have a lot of friends in elementary school. Although I did have a few. They all tended to be the "nerds" of the class. As I progressed through middle school into high school I started getting a lot better at socializing and making friends. Now it comes naturally and I'm quite the goofball sometimes. I love public speaking and I usually enjoy socializing. I can get really bored when talking to people though. At the same time, I really enjoy being alone. I get very energized by my own thoughts and ideas. However, if I don't share these ideas with another person or through some outlet it becomes overwhelming.

My INFJ stepmom (she came into the picture during high school) always wants to talk about my feelings or her feelings or whatever. I hate talking about how I feel.

I'm also pretty messy. My room is full of clutter. I do try really hard to keep it clean...but sometimes if the mess is there long enough I forget it's there.

In terms of school. I really like math, biology, chemistry, english, history, and philosophy. My least favorite subject is physics, I did find quantum mechanics interesting though.

uuuuuhhhhhh I could probably tell you something else....but this is pretty long and probably boring....so let me know what you think! :laughing:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
you are definitely an NT of some kind :p

but not enough information to decide which
i don't know why people associate messy rooms with being P perceiver vs J judger - i am a J and my room is very messy right now and i don't really feel like i care much

for judgers the secondary function is a judging one and the primary is a perceiving one - as such they are likely to have a more fluid inner world and a more structured and organized outer world

this is the opposite of perceivers whose secondary function is a perceiving one meaning that their primary is a judging one - these people are likely to hold strong opinions about things as they spend a lot of mental effort on organizing their world inside, but the world outside... not so much :p

judgers spend more of their time ordering stuff outside, but it doesn't have to be their rooms - they can be expanding that effort at work for example ordering around their team, or they can be spending that effort on their own body trying to keep in shape - the messy/clean living environment characteristics is applicable mostly SJs because they actually pay attention to the physical objects around them, not so much to Ns

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you are definitely an NT of some kind :p
Well that's a start! Oh ok. Well I think I was sort of on the right track then.

Let me see what other information I can give you.....I'm not too sure what information you specifically need, but I'll do my best!

but not enough information to decide which
i don't know why people associate messy rooms with being P perceiver vs J judger - i am a J and my room is very messy right now and i don't really feel like i care much
That's just what I had read somewhere...so I thought the information might be useful =P

judgers spend more of their time ordering stuff outside, but it doesn't have to be their rooms - they can be expanding that effort at work for example ordering around their team, or they can be spending that effort on their own body trying to keep in shape - the messy/clean living environment characteristics is applicable mostly SJs because they actually pay attention to the physical objects around them, not so much to Ns
I do really try to keep my body in shape....

I tend to be happier when I have a really structured and orderly life. I just don't like the idea of structuring my life. For instance, when a friend suggested I create a morning and evening lists that outline what I need to get done to be ready for work/school/bed or whatever (I think it's an idea she got off a website or something) I absolutely hated the idea. I didn't like the thought of every day starting and ending the same way. When I tried it out though, it worked really well. I also tend to procrastinate a lot. Generally I forget about assignments or projects. This school year I tried outlining how long I needed to do homework. I designated 2-3 hours per credit hour a week. So far that tends to be working well too.

People usually describe me as introverted yet are confused when I act out-going at social events. I find people really interesting. I think most "small talk" bores me though (unless it's with someone I don't know). Sometimes I approach random people or people who look sad and talk to them. I find their reactions interesting and I suppose I also just want to help people. People also describe me as a happy person and always smiling.

hmmmmmm...I can't really think if anything else to mention...I guess people generally think of me as an over-achiever, but I'm not sure that's accurate.

In terms of work, I work hard and try to do a good job at whatever my job may be.

I hope more details help. I'm pretty lost. :blushed:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
"Small talk" bores a lot of N-types. Other MBTI types can procrastinate also - but what is the reasons you put off things? What do you think/feel at the moment you decided to do something later? Basically it is easier to decide your MBTI type if you can explain how your decisions making happens, and also want sort of things tend to catch your attention, what sort of qualities you value in others, etc.

From your description of being unable to easily talk about your own feelings, but at the same time feeling warmth towards other people and having desire to help them I would suggest that you are a TiFe user. However INTPs usually have a bit of a problem connecting to other people and may even wish to reject such a need in themselves because their Fe is inferior. For ENTPs though their Fe is tertiary so they experience this need much more often.

It is also possible that you are one of the TiFe NF types - xNFJ. Even though I judged you NT because you said you don't really want to talk about your own emotions this is characteristic of Fe-feeler types and may not really be because you are "unfeeling" NT type. For Fe it is like taboo to talk about own feelings especially bad ones - it is instead always oriented at interacting and reacting with respect to feelings of others. Therefore Fe-bearers can have problem talking about how they individually feel and may strive to align their feelings to that of the company of people that they are currently in.

Have you read about dominant functions of ENTPs and INTPs and decided which one you might identify with most?
You can read about Ti and Ne here: Function Attitude

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Small talk" bores a lot of N-types. Other MBTI types can procrastinate also - but what is the reasons you put off things? What do you think/feel at the moment you decided to do something later?
Well, I actually enjoy doing my homework. I find it interesting. It's the thought of starting to do my homework. It's like I forget how interesting the subject is.

From your description of being unable to easily talk about your own feelings, but at the same time feeling warmth towards other people and having desire to help them I would suggest that you are a TiFe user. However INTPs usually have a bit of a problem connecting to other people and may even wish to reject such a need in themselves because their Fe is inferior. For ENTPs though their Fe is tertiary so they experience this need much more often.

It is also possible that you are one of the TiFe NF types - xNFJ. Even though I judged you NT because you said you don't really want to talk about your own emotions this is characteristic of Fe-feeler types and may not really be because you are "unfeeling" NT type. For Fe it is like taboo to talk about own feelings especially bad ones - it is instead always oriented at interacting and reacting with respect to feelings of others. Therefore Fe-bearers can have problem talking about how they individually feel and may strive to align their feelings to that of the company of people that they are currently in.

Have you read about dominant functions of ENTPs and INTPs and decided which one you might identify with most?
I read several of the dominant functions. The functions I related to the best were Ne, Ti, Ni, and Fe. I am tempted to say Ne was the function I connected the most with, but I'm unsure. It was a pretty close call.

Looks like I'll have to look into this more. Thanks for your help though!

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I read several of the dominant functions. The functions I related to the best were Ne, Ti, Ni, and Fe. I am tempted to say Ne was the function I connected the most with, but I'm unsure. It was a pretty close call.

Looks like I'll have to look into this more. Thanks for your help though!
It is more of question which function you use more. Sometimes I flip to using Ne and FiTe instead of Ni and FeTi but in my natural undisturbed state I know I fall back to using Ni and FeTi most of the time.

One important thing that I find separates Ne and Ti/Fi dominant types is that intuition likes taking pieces and putting them together into one model - it kind of works in a unifying manner. While Ti/Fi are both judging, disjointing functions - they like taking a model and putting it apart into pieces and examining each piece. Because of this people dominant in Ti and Fi strive to express themselves as accurately as they can, whereas N-dominant types have no problem interchanging words, may even be slightly dyslexic and type in somewhat run-on manner disregarding punctuation and meshing a lot of thoughts together. Whereas a Ti dominant type is likely to take things quite literally, just as you have stated them. Ti-dom will also try to clearly identify parts of any topics he or she is discussing and describe them as accurately as he or she can.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is more of question which function you use more. Sometimes I flip to using Ne and FiTe instead of Ni and FeTi but in my natural undisturbed state I know I fall back to using Ni and FeTi most of the time.

One important thing that I find separates Ne and Ti/Fi dominant types is that intuition likes taking pieces and putting them together into one model - it kind of works in a unifying manner. While Ti/Fi are both judging, disjointing functions - they like taking a model and putting it apart into pieces and examining each piece. Because of this people dominant in Ti and Fi strive to express themselves as accurately as they can, whereas N-dominant types have no problem interchanging words, may even be slightly dyslexic and type in somewhat run-on manner disregarding punctuation and meshing a lot of thoughts together. Whereas a Ti dominant type is likely to take things quite literally, just as you have stated them. Ti-dom will also try to clearly identify parts of any topics he or she is discussing and describe them as accurately as he or she can.
Your insight has been extremely helpful. Thank you!

I took the Keys to Cognition Test (I'm not sure how reliable the results are...) and these were my results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ********************* (21.5)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************* (21.3)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************************ (36.8)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************************* (37.8)
excellent use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ******************* (19.6)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.6)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ******************************** (32.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************************** (41.7)
excellent use

I think it said to look into INFP, ENFP, and INFJ so I'll look at those a bit more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts