Personality Cafe banner

What do you want for Christmas? ISTJ males...

[ISTJ] 
4K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  edamben 
#1 ·
Hello ISTJs,

This is my first time posting in your forum. I need your advice. I'm married to an ISTJ and need some ideas on what to get him for Christmas. What kinds of things do you guys like?

Every year its the same thing with this man. lol. Our conversation goes like this:

Me: Babe what do you want for Christmas?
Him: I don't want anything.
Me: You know I get you stuff every year. Just make it easy on me and tell me what you'd like.
Him: I don't need anything!
Me: Ok whatever.

Meanwhile there are like twenty gifts sitting under the Christmas tree that he's bought for me. :frustrating: He's such a good man. All I want to do is spoil him the way he spoils me. I want to show him in his love language that I care. But he's such a simple man. I never know what to buy him, especially when he has everything.

It is impossible to get this man to talk to me and tell me what his heart desires. I know he wants an electric smoker, but I can't afford that right now. I'm on a tight budget this year.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a male, but if he just won't tell you, I recommend listening to stuff he complains about around the house or elsewhere. Get something that will fix it.

Also, the electric smoker being too expensive might be part of the reason why your ISTJ won't tell you. He probably doesn't want you to feel like you need to get something for him that can't be afforded.

#3 ·
This is my first time posting in your forum. I need your advice. I'm married to an ISTJ and need some ideas on what to get him for Christmas. What kinds of things do you guys like?

Any ideas?
Get something new of something he already has but is really worn out. Example: He has a worn out wallet that he really likes, try to get the same designed wallet for him.

At the very worst, you can force something onto an ISTJ. If it's a really handy item that he can actually use, he'll love it, otherwise he'll never use it. Don't go for quantity, go for quality and utility.

#6 ·
Go shopping with him. My ISTJ took me shopping because he had to buy something for his kids. He tried on things, sprayed on different colognes. We both did. It gave me such a good idea about him, and it probably gave him a good idea about me. I don't know if he did this on purpose or not.

Go shopping together with the intent of shopping for someone else and watch the stuff he picks up and looks at and then puts back.

#8 · (Edited)
I never know what to get my dad so I go for chocolate, slippers or something practical/enjoyable.

Edit: bearing in mind my dad is 63...

#10 ·
Oh lordy...this sounds like me... See, my fun little head issues go like this:

For every $5 I lend you, you owe me $1

If you get me things, you will get many times more.

If you so much as look like I'm not giving you enough attention, I'm going to be right there.

If you start worrying about our money situation, I'll take it 10 steps further.

Sadly you are looking at a mentality that says: "I haven't done enough for you yet." ...says...more like screams in my case...

Reactions: wisdomdreams
#12 ·
G scale trains and buildings etc, expensive but it keeps my dad happy.

#13 ·
I really dislike presents.

A) I feel obligated to use/wear what you bought me.
B) I feel obligated to return the favor, which could start an endless cycle of annoyance.
C) I've probably already researched the item and concluded I don't need it. See G.
D) Presents in general just open up a door of emotions I would rather do without. (I loath the fake "thank you" and "I love it", "I can't wait to wear/use it" followed by similar fake emotions in round 2, 3, etc.)
E) I would never expect anyone to buy me anything (In part thanks to my love language.)
F) Like another has mentioned, I will be just as awed by a nice meal as I would a... uh... some other expensive gift.
G) I prioritize my budget and 'wish list', if I need something I will already have it.
H) Etc.

HOWEVER, I will also (hopefully) realize if gift giving is your love language and buying me a gift means as much to you as receiving one, then, well, I'll throw on the smiles and hugs and we'll still get along just fine... over time you will catch on and we'll reach some type of understanding and agreement and everyone will live happily ever after.

#14 ·
If he drinks coffee: a cappuccino/expresso maker;

If he drinks coffee or tea: an electric kettle or small water boiler/dispenser;

If he likes tools: the Multimaster from Fein;

If he likes to work-out: an elliptical, treadmill, or the Total Gym.

Of course, check the reviews on amazon first and only get the products rated 4 stars and higher.

#16 ·
Hm

Keurig-already got it woot

Books

ehh whatever anyone wants to get me is really alright with me

Reactions: Sela
#20 ·
Buying for me is very difficult.

When asked, I'll say I don't want anything - and it's true. The problem is, I've forgotten something I said I wanted months ago and I'm not really in tune with what I really want (hooray Type 1 ISTJ).

It generally falls on those who want to give me gifts to remember a book I said I wanted five months ago or remember the outburst I had at something when it wasn't performing to my standards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.