Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, New Years Eve is coming in about 2 weeks and I want to be the first to post a thread about this (har har).

So, what do you want to accomplish?

I want to....
-learn to confidently stand up for the things I believe in.
-save up for a nice camera so that I can get into photography.
-become a better, more confident dancer.
-start running more often and not make lazy excuses for myself.
-get straight A's
-keep my room clean and organized for more than a day.

:)

I'm going on vacation soon, so just in case I don't get the chance to say it... MERRY CHRISTMAS!! :D

P.S. Photographers out there, could you reccomend a good camera for taking pictures? Tips? I LOVE photography and would like to learn how to take good quality pictures. I don't want a crappy digital cam. ):<

Note: I like to take pictures of things like sun rises, the rain, etc. :)

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
- Pass my upcoming resit exams because the results will get me back the security of my scholarship (Dear Lord, help me with my studies. Ameen)

- Be more free

- Be more independent

- Be much stronger

- Chase after my ideals without hesitation

- Be even more of an inspirer than I already am

- Meet @Ectoplasm in UK late 2011 and travel with him :wink:

- Cultivate friendships or interests I wouldn't normally do before

- Figure out a way to resolve things with my past

·
Registered
120 Posts
Next year, I want to:
- Keep making art and try to use my art journal more often.
- Workout everyday (or at least stick to a schedule).
- Meditate everyday (I find this really hard)
- Cook more for myself and try to eat less junk food when I'm stressed.
- Make new friends.
- Go back to college. I took a semester off college, but now I'm thinking of applying to go somewhere else next year.
- Get a part time job. I just want to make some extra money, but I think it'd be nice if I found one I like too.

I don't know how much you're willing to spend on a camera. I use a Kodak Easyshare m863 and I think it's good quality for a cheaper camera.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- Pass my upcoming resit exams because the results will get me back the security of my scholarship (Dear Lord, help me with my studies. Ameen)

- Be more free

- Be more independent

- Be much stronger

- Chase after my ideals without hesitation

- Be even more of an inspirer than I already am

- Meet @Ectoplasm in UK late 2011 and travel with him :wink:

- Cultivate friendships or interests I wouldn't normally do before

- Figure out a way to resolve things with my past
I really hope you get your scholarship! :D

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
P.S. Photographers out there, could you reccomend a good camera for taking pictures? Tips? I LOVE photography and would like to learn how to take good quality pictures. I don't want a crappy digital cam. ):<

Note: I like to take pictures of things like sun rises, the rain, etc. :)
I have a in-law who's an international wedding photographer. He takes some amazing photos with his iPhone so it's not the camera. Don't worry about spending a ton of money.

Start with a low-end dSLR like the Canon XSi or a Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens. If you can't take pics with a cheap camera, your pictures won't be any better with a good camera.

My favorite lens is still my cheapie f/1.8 (low light) 50mm (fixed which means no zoom).

·
Registered
962 Posts
P.S. Photographers out there, could you reccomend a good camera for taking pictures? Tips? I LOVE photography and would like to learn how to take good quality pictures. I don't want a crappy digital cam. ):< Note: I like to take pictures of things like sun rises, the rain, etc. :)
I'd look for a cheap Canon T1i ( around $400) , new or used, pair it with the nifty fifty, a 50mm 1.8 prime lens(around $100), and you could probably do that for under $500 combined if you look wisely. Play with that lens for awhile, learn depths of field, lighting, your legs become the focusing, etc. Once you feel like you have a good handle on it, think about what you prefer to shoot... close, far, or wide, and choose your next lens accordingly.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
feh... i just want to fix my stupid car and get out of debt :frustrating:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Here are my aims for 2011:

To go to writers' groups regularly and complete at least another novel ready for submission

To finalise my divorce and help my son deal with his anger management problems that this has caused

To spend wisely so I can pay off some more debts

To look after myself, eat healthily, exercise and get back down to a weight I'm happy at

To go on a holiday with my son

·
Registered
156 Posts
Get really good grades in college next semester
Join every group I can and meet people
Get a support network through being more social
Meet a nice girl
Really develop my sense of style through my clothes, shoes and accessories (ISFP thing, probably)

·
Registered
277 Posts
- Loose 20 pounds, which will probably raise my confidence
- Get a girlfriend
- Move to my own place
- Get a job / income
- Pass my courses in English & Spanish
- Start with thai chi
- Develop my photographic interest by go out more and take photographs (this could be related with loosing weight as well, walking).
- Go to a writer's class or smth like that, to develop my skills but also to socialize in a setting where people share the same interests as me

If I know myself right, one or two of those will work out....

Edit: I will add travel to another country, keep learning how to cook (maybe a cooking class?) and learn some songs on the accordion. I think I will have to erase some things on the list to have time to most of them :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't really like the idea of New Year's resolutions since I don't see the point in setting a date in the future to start something, but in an odd twist of fate it will be New Year's Day that I need to be fully moved and settled into my new place near my new job. As that situation will have calmed down and I won't be driving 3 hours each way to work, I will be finally ready to move forward on a bunch of things I am looking to pursue. I'm pretty excited to start.

-I am intending to launch my own business early this year.
-I will get fit and active, and go outside and do more away from the computer.
-I'm going to embrace living a more minimalist lifestyle. Most of my stuff is going into storage when I move as I'm only renting a room with some friends.
-I am going to start travelling. At least 1 trip to another country.
-My divorce is going to be officially started and finalized.
-I'm going to continue embracing my love of cooking and keep learning and exploring.
-I'm going to get a drum kit and really start learning to play.
-I'm finally going to start trying out all the things I've wanted to, like skydiving for example.

This is the first time I'll have been single as an adult, so I intend to take full advantage of the time I have before I start dating again to get my life to where I want it to be (and party along the way) :laughing:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
2010 was my transition year, which thus makes 2011 the beginning of me stepping forward and actually living. On that note I have several resolutions.

- I will be moving this year come April when my current lease is up. I've had my eyes set on the PNW, specifically Seattle, WA for a while now.
- No matter where I am I'm going to be involved in more performing arts classes - Dance and some sort of musical performance whether I pick up my trombone, go back to mallet percussion or try piano or guitar or bass or whatever.
- I will take the time to learn how to draw.
- I'm going to start exercising again. I *like* exercising when I'm actually doing it. I just need to remember that when I'm not doing it.
- Speaking of bikes, I will get my bike fixed and start riding it in CO on nice days.
- Photography. I want to take classes and figure it out.
- Writing. Every interaction I have had with any sort of future thinking includes writing. I need to stop waiting for it to happen and just go and take pen to paper.
- Start school again. I am not content with being "only" an LPN. I am going to step on the path that will take me to my goal of being a Nurse Practitioner.
- Travel more. I will take vacations and breaks this year to go and see what I want.
- Sell my car and actually manage to save some money in the beginning of the year so I can make all of the above happen without additional fiscal related stress.
- And hopefully somewhere in the midst of all that, I'll be able to make the universe well aware of my desire to find my Soulmate. Maybe not in the next year, but at least I'm setting myself up for such a fantastic adventure to happen. *nods*

Reactions: refugee

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts
-NOT get cancer in my ass
-That's it

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
80 Posts
Last year, my overall ultimate goal was to (and I quote because I wrote this down), "not pass up any opportunities even if they are scary or inconvenient." I feel I actually did this pretty well. It was not easy, and was a lot of me still putting stuff off until the little voice in the back of my head reminded me of this, and I didn't want to let myself down. It ended up in me dating a wonderful guy, landing a leadership role (go figure!) and finding a major that is much more suitable to me than what I was previously trying to pursue.

This year, my goal is entirely about attitude. I am naturally a negative person and struggle to see the bright side of a situation. I am constantly worrying that things are not going to work out, that it be too difficult, that I'm not good enough, that I'm going to fail, etc. My goal is to just forget all of that and learn to be content with a situation, to work with it instead of against it, even when all I want to do is hide under a blanket, curl up into a ball and cry (which I have done).

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would like to;
- Control my emotions a little more.
- Become far more self confident.
- Get to grips with being decisive instead of going with whatever people want.
- Start letting people in.
- Do at least one thing purely for myself.
- Develop the ability to say "no".

I'm tempted to throw in a silly "find my soulmate" comment, but that shouldn't be an accomplishment and even if it were this year is not the year for it.

Reactions: faeriegal713
1 - 20 of 30 Posts