Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That the best blessing you can give us is to understand us, understand that our thoughts and feelings are very real.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I am not sure that they can. That is to say, I am not sure all of them can.

I used to think it was possible but the realities of personality type indicates that there are large and most likely unbridgeable differences in our modes of thinking.

I have likened it to trying to explain colour to a colour blind. Just imagine how you would try and do that.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am not sure that they can. That is to say, I am not sure all of them can.

I used to think it was possible but the realities of personality type indicates that there are large and most likely unbridgeable differences in our modes of thinking.

I have likened it to trying to explain colour to a colour blind. Just imagine how you would try and do that.
Show some faith *cough* young man, in my relatively short time span,I've had the luck of finding two or three that could understand me well,
although I doubt they could understand it all, it's still comforting to know I'm not a complete mystery to everyone.

A thought that just struck me, if we 'adapt' in an attempt to translate, most people should be able to understand, if they are as interested in understanding, as we are to be understood.
See it as two immigrants, with different nationality, they will most likely use the formal language of the country they now live in to communicate with each other.

At first, there will most likely be a lot of errors/misunderstandings, but with time both gain greater and greater understanding of the new language as well as insight in how to interpret
just what the other means, as words are such a small part of what we are trying to communicate.

And if we now consider that we (Infps) usually are awesome when it comes to other languages, why not try to speak their language for a change, we are highly adaptable after all.

F.ex, We mainly use Fi-Ne. But we also have other functions, for me (I blame it on the tests being a bit weird though, so don't put to much emphasis on this), my Fe and Ni is as strong as
or stronger then my 'supposed' superior ones, while my Te is complete sheit (which I agree with), while my Ti is at least somewhat used. Of the sensory ones, my Si is horrible, and my Se underdeveloped.

Now, if we use other functions then our 'regular' ones, we also act and think in a different manner, no?

To try to end this fat text, shouldn't a Infp with well developed other functions have it a lot easier to communicate to others, exactly what and who we are, through a (for us) alien medium? (Compared to them trying to understand ours).

Therefore, it should be possible to have perfect understanding regardless of 'type' or superior 'functions'.​

Any sort of feedback on this new theory of mine is appreciated.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wish people would understand that my personality is legitimate (like theirs) and I'm not the way I am because I'm actively seeking to piss them off. It makes me so angry when very abrasive people in my extended family act in shockingly inappropriate ways and the response is, "Oh, that's just So&So - that 's just the way he/she is." But the response to me is more along the lines of , "What's wrong with you? Don't you like us? Are you depressed? Just snap out of it already! Why don't you call/talk/get out/smile/socialze more?"

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wish people would understand that my personality is legitimate (like theirs) and I'm not the way I am because I'm actively seeking to piss them off. It makes me so angry when very abrasive people in my extended family act in shockingly inappropriate ways and the response is, "Oh, that's just So&So - that 's just the way he/she is." But the response to me is more along the lines of , "What's wrong with you? Don't you like us? Are you depressed? Just snap out of it already! Why don't you call/talk/get out/smile/socialze more?"
Intrusive, ignorant and pushy people will always be a pain though:dry:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Right now, I wish that people could understand that I don't want to do anything which is meaningless, and indeed, mindless chitchat has no meaning to me whatsoever. I want to get to know someone, and that means getting to know their personality, values, and experiences. That is the only kind of conversation that is worth my time. I am willing to do the former to get to the latter, but the former on its own... not acceptable.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A thought that just struck me, if we 'adapt' in an attempt to translate, most people should be able to understand, if they are as interested in understanding, as we are to be understood.
See it as two immigrants, with different language, they will most likely use the formal language of the country they now live in to communicate with each other.

At first, there will most likely be a lot of errors/misunderstandings, but with time both gain greater and greater understanding of the new language as well as insight in how to interpret
just what the other means, as words are such a small part of what we are trying to communicate.

And if we now consider that we (Infps) usually are awesome when it comes to other languages, why not try to speak their language for a change, we are highly adaptable after all.
Sorry if my reading skills are off..heh.. Do you mean, we try to adapt their language and encourage them to adapt ours for a while? You mean in the sense that we try to learn their language without giving up our own emotional language?

Yes we are adaptable, I agree. I think at the same time, we still stick to how we value certain important emotions and the originality we find within ourselves even as we adapt. You know us, we love to people explore, hah.

F.ex, We mainly use Fi-Ne. But we also have other functions, for me (I blame it on the tests being a bit weird though, so don't put to much emphasis on this), my Fe and Ni is as strong as
or stronger then my 'supposed' superior ones, while my Te is complete sheit (which I agree with), while my Ti is at least somewhat used. Of the sensory ones, my Si is horrible, and my Se underdeveloped.

Now, if we use other functions then our 'regular' ones, we also act and think in a different manner, no?
To try to end this fat text, shouldn't a Infp with well developed other functions have it a lot easier to communicate exactly what and who we are, through a (for us) alien medium?

Therefore, it should be possible to have perfect understanding regardless of 'type'.
Although my Feeler side is almost always dominant, I do have a Thinker side in me. I practise it when I study, talk and think about politics.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
Right now, I wish that people could understand that I don't want to do anything which is meaningless, and indeed, mindless chitchat has no meaning to me whatsoever. I want to get to know someone, and that means getting to know their personality, values, and experiences. That is the only kind of conversation that is worth my time. I am willing to do the former to get to the latter, but the former on its own... not acceptable.
couldn't have said it better myself. bravo!

although, there is something to be said for the effectiveness in relationships of considering other people's feelings/thoughts no matter how inane/insipid/stupid they are.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sorry if my reading skills are off..heh.. Do you mean, we try to adapt their language and encourage them to adapt ours for a while? You mean in the sense that we try to learn their language without giving up our own emotional language?
Considering how weird it came out, I'm happy it wasn't complete gibberish.
And yes, I meant that we could try to 'mimic' their way of communicating, while they try to 'mimic' us.
While still keeping ourself, see it as talking a different language, looking at things from a new perspective (or how you wish to put it)

When it comes to languages, as long as you get the message across, it doesn't really matter how horrible your accent is.

Although my Feeler side is almost always dominant, I do have a Thinker side in me. I practise it when I study, talk and think about politics.
Which is great =)

And now on to the real answer:

It was mainly aimed at Sarek, but I'll try to explain.

What I meant was that I'm pretty confident we can be fully understood by others, and vice versa.

All it takes is a different medium, if the person we are trying to explain to, wants to understand as much as we want to explain, I think that erases a lot of the borders we have in our ways of thinking.

(Regarding two Nf's, there isn't a real border as far as I'm concerned, just different perspectives, and those we can bridge with ease, generally. This is mainly aimed at explaining Fi-Ne to Te-Si)

Now imagine if we also switch to another way of explaining using Te/Ti f.ex. The actual things that could be 'adapted' are up for discussion, I'm just trying to give examples.

If we rationalize our beliefs, feelings and values (translating), while the other person is connecting to their compass, trying to figure out how and why THEY feel about things, what they value, and believe. That should pave way for some interesting results.
(Or I'm just crazy) Sidenote: It might be better if just one side is 'translating', could look funny if the cross-communication backfires, leading to complete madness. (Such as trying to use logical forms while the person in front of you is pouring his/her heart out regarding feelings)

We should be able to make sense to others, translating what we feel, what we value, who we are (From our point of view), into something that makes sense to T's, ergo bridging said gap. And, if the person who try to understand us, also has some insight regarding Ne/Ni, Fe/Fi. We could even cross-communicate using our weaker sides.

Would be pretty interesting seeing a Infp-Estj interaction if both were using their shadowfunctions :p

If this and my earlier post comes off as rubbish, please do tell, even if you think it's completely retarded :p. It was a sidetrack that jumped up when I was answering to Sarek.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I wish they would understand that I am not going to succeed in some of the ways they want me to simply because of who I am.

I wish they would understand that I cannot simply change myself overnight into the person they want me to be nor do I desire to.

I wish they would realize that only I can fix myself, and they can't.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I wish that people would understand their affect on others. If people had more sympathy for each other and weren't so obsessed with personal gain, the Gulf of Mexico wouldn't be flooded with oil and there wouldn't be wars, and we'd be like those giant cat people in Avatar.

But we're humans. We are, on the whole, pretty much big walking dicks to one another, and that's one of the constants throughout history.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't wish for it, but I do hope that one day people would widespread understand why we do what we do. We do what we do well, even under dim lights. Maybe if they understood, we could be one step closer to making a bigger difference in the world.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hammerhand, you could formulate your theory into templates, formats, graphs, and shite! I see where you are going with it and it sounds nice. Like we could have a class to teach of all the type languages so as we learn, we can respect how others operate, and in turn they will be more into our operations! Well, I suppose that's what most are doing when coming onto here and reading all other type forums heh. But here's a type language link:
Type Languages Dialect Styles Extraverted

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
I'm not innocent, naive, and idealistic, morons. I simply try to put forth my good qualities, like a strong moral center, in public, and always be positive about things in my life.

Reactions: Raichan

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I wish people realize about the many wonderful things we can provide in this world, if only they just let us have that chance to shine... We are so quiet and so reserved, that it's hard for people to notice us when we want to tell them something...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wish that it was easier for them to understand that we like to be alone, not because we are bitter shut ins, but because thats just what we do.

I also wish it could be understood that we just think differently than most people. The way we do things isnt wrong, its just very very different.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I can't speak for all INFPs...I can only speak for myself...but:

I do not need to be "fixed".

Sometimes I need to disappear for a little while to recharge - this does not mean that I don't care about you.

I will always try to find a solution that benefits everybody involved - I simply cannot make a decision based purely on logic - feelings must be taken into consideration.

I am caring and sensitive - this does NOT mean I am weak.

I am who I am and although I care about your feelings - I simply cannot pretend to be something I am not just to make you happy. So please just love me for who I am and do not try to change me. It will not work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts