Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INTPs & other types, what is the significance of your dreams in your everyday life? Do you highly value them, think them mean anything or nothing, & have they ever been premonitory?

I may have seen a thread similar to this before, hence to at least make it more unique if so, let me tell you what inspired this question.

First off, I’ve always had very vivid, bizarre dreams. And I remember a great deal of them. In edition, I experience lucid dreaming and hallucinatory sleep paralysis frequently. After having a serious conversation with my brother, I begin having very specific dreams about general fears of mine. Granted the conversation was related, but it started to really bring these ideas and fears of mine into my consciousness, which may or may not have produced a strange day where some highly related fears came into fruition.

Albeit this leads away from the original question, I like to demonstrate the thought process. So, this begs the question of the significance of the dreams and or my intuition, as well as the law of attraction. I may start another thread on that. Regardless, thoughts?

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I hate dreaming.

I would pay good money for a functional dreamcatcher. One that catches all dreams, not just nightmares.

I put no value or significance to them, they're just a pain in the brain.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate dreaming.

I would pay good money for a functional dreamcatcher. One that catches all dreams, not just nightmares.

I put no value or significance to them, they're just a pain in the brain.
Why don't you like them? Why are they a pain?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
I rarely have dreams and I rarely remember them if I do, so it would be hard to assign any particular meaning to my dreams.

Although, psychologically, dreams are usually outlets for repressed instincts and affections.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Why don't you like them? Why are they a pain?
I sleep to sleep, not to imagine absurd crap. It's annoying, and when you wake up you still remember the damn things too. It's just exhausting.

Dreaming during sleep is as cruel as putting olives on pizza, just something heinous in something awesome.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My dreams mean nothing to me. I do like them though. I have 10,000 Dreams Interpreted on my iPhone kindle app, and I use it very seldom to figure out a weird dream. By figure out I also am just curious to how it is interpreted rather than what it actually means. Seems a bit astrological.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I sleep to sleep, not to imagine absurd crap. It's annoying, and when you wake up you still remember the damn things too. It's just exhausting.

Dreaming during sleep is as cruel as putting olives on pizza, just something heinous in something awesome.
I love dreams, as well as olives on pizza. They're just very very interesting.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I rarely have dreams and I rarely remember them if I do, so it would be hard to assign any particular meaning to my dreams.

Although, psychologically, dreams are usually outlets for repressed instincts and affections.
I guess I have a lot of repressed instincts & affections then.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My dreams mean nothing to me. I do like them though. I have 10,000 Dreams Interpreted on my iPhone kindle app, and I use it very seldom to figure out a weird dream. By figure out I also am just curious to how it is interpreted rather than what it actually means. Seems a bit astrological.
Yea I don't buy the generalized symbolism in dreams deal too much. I think you can pretty much interpret the meaning of your dreams by what's going on in your life. Possible that a symbol could mean the same thing from one person to another because of the shared role of specific objects in our culture's human experience, but obviously over generalized in interpreting dream books.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yea I don't buy the generalized symbolism in dreams deal too much. I think you can pretty much interpret the meaning of your dreams by what's going on in your life. Possible that a symbol could mean the same thing from one person to another because of the shared role of specific objects in our culture's human experience, but obviously over generalized in interpreting dream books.
I feel as if they mean something, but at the same time they just seem too random. Like I had a dream with somebody I haven't seen in a couple of years in it. It just seems too random. Perhaps your brain just plays a plot, a character(s), and a theme. It's like telling a story to yourself.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel as if they mean something, but at the same time they just seem too random. Like I had a dream with somebody I haven't seen in a couple of years in it. It just seems too random. Perhaps your brain just plays a plot, a character(s), and a theme. It's like telling a story to yourself.
Yea I've had the same thing. It's not only where is this coming from, but is asking why even a relevant question?

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
They mean I'm getting enough sleep.

Sometimes I get really, really good ideas while dreaming though, so can't complain.
Ditto for me, exactly. It actually just happened to me last night. I've been struggling to figure out a problem in a story I'm working on and the dream I had last night totally gave me some awesome ideas for how to improve it.

I don't know hoe much meaning my dreams have; they tend to be about characters not myself as if I'm watching a movie or something, or I'll play as a character who isn't myself in a story that isn't about my real life. A large majority of my dreams are not about me and tend to take place in fictional locations or fictional versions of real locations. The stories that play out are also strangely easy to follow and will have clear beginnings, middles and ends P: Maybe these are why I don't ever have to watch movies anymore lol. I see them every time I sleep anyways.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I only remember a dream if I'm getting enough sleep. Sometimes they're lucid and other times they're not. The lucid dreams are normally ones that a lot of people talk about having, but I've never had like my teeth falling out. Some dreams are about fears, but I all ready know what those fears are so the dreams are just a way to analyze the fear when I'm not awake and don't really mean anything to me.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I have a dream with say, a random person from the past in it, I ask myself why? Is the answer as theorized, just my brain choosing a plot & filling it with random characters? Potentially, but it probably depends.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I only remember a dream if I'm getting enough sleep. Sometimes they're lucid and other times they're not. The lucid dreams are normally ones that a lot of people talk about having, but I've never had like my teeth falling out. Some dreams are about fears, but I all ready know what those fears are so the dreams are just a way to analyze the fear when I'm not awake and don't really mean anything to me.
So dreams provide a way for you to analyze your fears. Is this necessary or at least significant to you?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts