Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What does INFJ mean to you.....no rhyme or reason to your replies or the form, the format can be in poem form, in paragraph, as long as they are honest and contribute in some way. Dig deep and shell a little bit out if you dare. You can be as personal as you want to or as mysterious, can be a single line or several paragraphs, whatever suits your fancy. Think of those INFJ descriptions you read but try to write them from the first person, from the perspective of an INFJ. (Avoid using the cognitive functions because not everyone will know what they mean.)

Hopefully making this thread to help out new and old INFJs of the forums get back on track and aid a little bit in finding their way, some inspiration in other words for each other, something to get our mind cranking more then it normally does in the direction of self discovery which is so integral to us.

So....what does being an INFJ mean to you?

To get things rolling, I will throw myself out there first and post mine as soon as I finish it. I got a quick one. Always going over things I write over and over again and critiquing it an absurd amount. hahahahha :crazy:

Disclaimer It will not all be the same for us INFJs, there is variation in type so if you are new here don't worry. We are all different even if the same type.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
To me, being an INFJ is...

-Having a smoldering passion inside that I do my best to hide.
-Being a Romanticist and a dreamer... but then realizing, sadly, that these dreams and ideals are fantasies.
-Being contemplative... being wise beyond my years.
-Yearning for a sense of meaning... yearning for a place in the world from which I can be so detached.

·
Registered
174 Posts
For me, being an INFJ means...

"We are not human beings on a spiritual journey. We are spiritual beings on a human journey."-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

This quote appeals to me:wink:

:proud:

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
To me being of INFJ preference is understanding that:
- My mind deals in currency that is primarily invisible and not easily understandable for the great majority of people out there.
- I will always have an interest in people and doing things that improve lives of others, thus I will find most meaning in work and hobbies that correlate to this.
- I will strive to understand other people and see their point of view, but it is not how mind of other people works so I will find little understating in return and just have to make peace with this.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For me, being an INFJ means:

- Having an "awkward sense" of believing I know... what people are thinking; if I'm going to enjoy something or not before I even do it; and being the person people come to when they don't know... understand the answers. (A good mother to people.)

- I have been completely wrong and I have been completely right. (This is sad and happy all mixed into one.)

- Having to do, or be compelled to do "the right thing." (Crappy for me at times because I want to do the opposite in some situations.)

- An equal mixture of pride and saddness; selfishness and selflessness. But, always, a greater love for people.

- is "reality" what I make of it?; Or, something that would exist on it's own; And is it, something I can settle on?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here we go....

What does INFJ mean to me...a feeling of restlessness. To keep pushing the envelope to keep myself moving down a path that I am trying to move towards but sometimes old traits of shyness and timidity creep up and I have to fight against them. Being affected emotionally by what is right and wrong and having a strong sense of what is right and wrong but then feel held back because telling the truth is difficult because it may hurt others but I do so anyway however gently because it is right. Having so many dreams and so many hopes, accompanied by so many beliefs and so many principles, trying to live up to all of them which is so difficult sometimes because I am only mortal and then beating myself up on the inside because I fail to live up to them even though I know that I am not perfect but I keep on trying. Having a lot of self control and self discipline, to be in a very "controlled" state of being. However sometimes my emotions get in the way and I have to struggle against them to stay in control of myself. Then the cliche INFJ trait, able to understand others so easily but few understand me and caring an innumberable amount about others. Being easily and deeply effected by emotional stimuli. Then just being sensitive to things but don't mistake it for weakness. Feeling the compulsion to rush to the aid of people who are in distress. I tear up when I see something spiritually/emotionally beautiful, whenever I watch a movie and someone dies for selfless reasons it will strike me right in the heart and I will get choked up, maybe even tear up but I won't let you see it. Having so much care and so much compassion but being very reserved and held aback, not always able to show it. Wanting to be directly involved with the world, to throw myself into the fire and fix what is wrong and amend the pain that has been caused but then I am held back because I do not know everything and I do not have all the answers. Ruthlessly throwing myself into things that I am passionate about and really motivated for with so much intensity but if I do something wrong it throws a stop in the gears and I slow down considerably.

Two short things that close friends have said about me that I felt held a lot of significance....A thinker of feelings. A big protective teddy bear with claws hidden in his fur. The second one is silly but I think its a common theme among INFJs and well, its true.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
For me it has made some things a little more complicated than they need to be.

We are all complex and thoughtful and naturally gifted people, and as cool as that is, I don't see that as being all that important unless it can be somehow applied to the "external world". Anyone can debate what "reality" is, but as far as I'm concerned, I do not want my reality to be only the things inside my head.

Being an INFJ in some ways is a gift, but the present must be unwrapped and used.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Don't know how I got here,
I am the way I am
not asked to be this
in this troubled mind of mine.

I feel things deeply,
I show my mask outside
while a wild river runs through
everything gets trapped inside.

The sun shines brightly sometimes,
inspiring multitudes at times
it makes me proud of it
but nothing lasts for much.

I am the way I am
I seek justice and truth
Having lived in this world
nothing is the way I would like.

Alas,I couldn't have asked for more
the lessons I am learning
in this bag of flesh and bones
I will succeed and regret never more.

·
Registered
644 Posts
INFJ to me:

-being a hopeless dreamer, living in another world, yet seeing the real world more clearly that those who live in it all the time.
-loving life and people, but not being able to stand them as well.
-being practical while wishing you weren’t, and could live more spontaneously, yet loving you are practical too.
-being someone who listens, and who other listen too.
-child like, but also acting far older than you are.
-being reserved and constrained, yet loving passionately and wildly...
-finding it hard to trust others, but being totally loyal to those you do trust, and utterly trusting of them.
-being full of longing, full of hope...and sarcasm and pessimism...realisim
-being strong but very vulnerable.

-seeming to be a contradiction, when you are always simply yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Guess I could put it in this way

-Ask why not? instead of why? *see signature*

-While I'm alone/before sleeping, thinking of how my day was and the meaning of things people told me or did (ie: look at me with a certain face; hug me, etc)

-Analyzing things *too much*

-Don't know if this has to do with being INFJ, but if I have something planned and someone interferes I get mixed emotions (ie: anger, sadness and confusion)

-Listening better than talking, thinking before talking.

Sorry to be a copy cat :p

But these are spot on:

INFJ to me:

-being a hopeless dreamer, living in another world, yet seeing the real world more clearly that those who live in it all the time.
-loving life and people, but not being able to stand them as well.
-being practical while wishing you weren’t, and could live more spontaneously, yet loving you are practical too.
-being someone who listens, and who other listen too.
-child like, but also acting far older than you are.
-being reserved and constrained, yet loving passionately and wildly...
-finding it hard to trust others, but being totally loyal to those you do trust, and utterly trusting of them.
-being full of longing, full of hope...and sarcasm and pessimism...realisim
-being strong but very vulnerable.

-seeming to be a contradiction, when you are always simply yourself.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Although it has it's difficulties - INFJ means being really alive - the ability to sense, feel and think with the volume full on for everything (yes sometimes it gets a little loud but I wouldn't change it for the world)- to feel the universe of ideas, emotions, human potential and possibilities in the palm of my hand - to tackle a subject from a million different angles - to make connections that never existed before. To help people become the very best they can be.

I feel most alive when the ideas are flowing and my gut knows it's good

I struggled in my younger years with this (sometimes I still do - but this does get easier with age!) but when I am up and really using what I have it feels like energy crackling through my veins.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
This thread is turning into...

Lol, anyway. To me, being INFJ is about purpose. What's your reason for being here? For me, it's a personalized ride where you constantly keep redefining your goals, narrowing down the answers until you can almost grasp it but not quite. Searching for meaning in a world that seeks to be meaningless. A never ending quest for truth. Hidden truths that most don't bother to look for. And then after all, somebody to share it with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts