Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what it feels like, but I have no idea how exactly to describe it or what it ACTUALLY looks like unless its an exaggerated caricature like Peter griffin or spongebob. People say Ne doms live in the world of possibilities, and im not even sure what that means. Sure, I have alot of wacky philosophies and ideas that I want to share with the world, but is that really living in the realm of "possibilities"? Idk if you can tell what I'm getting at

So I'm curious, what type of behaviors do you guys of other types immediately identify in ENXPs?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm ENFP and until I read your post I didn't realize: I have no idea either! I can't wait to see the responses this gets P:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Uhm...

Hyperbole/idealism, high energy - possibly manic - brainstorming, a general bipolar* effect of introspection intermixed with brain puke, intellectualism, excellent impromptu speaking, abstraction, aversion to rote/routine/repetition/repetition, and more even more hyperbole/idealism.

Also, since dom-Ne necessitates inferior Si - you get an antagonistic relationship with perfectionism, procedure, and obligation. It haunts and harasses them - though eventually they will come to terms with it and actually utilize it in interesting ways. For example, my wife and brother, as they get older have become Champions of familial obligation... harnessing that angstful compulsion in themselves. INFP might do this sooner, but even my ENFP brother is all into family history and get so mad at me if I miss family functions - and he goes to every reunion even if it's states away and he's never met any of them. It's interesting.

So, yeah:

Hyperbole: Ne types are the single most hyperbolic type that is, has been, or ever will be. They are completely, utterly and irreversibly susceptable to extreme hyperbole.

Idealism: Ne sees all possibilities, the more the merrier - and Ji parses concepts down to their purest forms. This results in hyperbole, sure.. but more importantly it makes them such idealists. They see the best possibilities in their purest forms. Why isn't it that way? Why don't we make it that way? VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!!! If war it must be, let it be war. Lots of revolutionaries and aggressive reformers / whistle blowers are typed ENxP... correctly or not.

Brainstorming: No one brainstorms better than an Ne. Well, at least if it's in the realm of Ne. If you ask them to brainstorm ideas for getting out of a cave... you are going to get a lot of pretty interesting ideas, most likely useless ones. The Ne actually might say 'if we'd have done this or this, we could get out' which is Ne/Si to a t... not terribly useful in the moment, though. However, when the subject matter is theoretical or hypothetical - and all possibilities are on the table - it's game on and the energy can get electric. A real Ne can brainstorm to the exclusion of all other concerns - even sleep, or the glares of their spouse.

Introspection/brain puke: ENxP types often identify as 'ambivert' and can be quite happy alone - or with people. They seem to need time to regroup after too much socializing - especially non-Ne socializing. ENxP introspects and 'lives in their head' a great deal. There is definitely a sense of lows and highs in regards to sociality.

Intellectualism: Definitely abstract and often appear very intelligent and educated - especially in things abstract. Type doesn't determine intelligence, but it does give that brain a lot of exercise and content. Ne is voracious and capable of handling any abstract or hypothetical question.

Speaking: Riffing off the previous... Ne/Si makes for a great ability to push out the stuff in your brain in a coherent (albeit frenetic) form. Ne are staples of debate clubs.

Abstraction: Remember this is all in the world of wide open theoretical non-reality. The more pure and hyperbolic the better.

Repetition: They hate it and won't do it. It truly bugs them... small talk is mind numbing unless there is something to get out of it other than small talk, busy work is the same, implementation and minutia are to be culled out. If it's really hard to do... they'd prefer to think of a better way to do it. Interestingly, they may spend more time designing a better way then they would have just doing the busy work. They can do repetitive rote things, but really don't like to.

Er, yeah... those things.

EDIT: Oh yes, and verbosity. Ne tends to be quite long-winded, for obvious reasons.

·
Banned
149 Posts
I know what it feels like, but I have no idea how exactly to describe it or what it ACTUALLY looks like unless its an exaggerated caricature like Peter griffin or spongebob. People say Ne doms live in the world of possibilities, and im not even sure what that means. Sure, I have alot of wacky philosophies and ideas that I want to share with the world, but is that really living in the realm of "possibilities"? Idk if you can tell what I'm getting at

So I'm curious, what type of behaviors do you guys of other types immediately identify in ENXPs?
Random ideas out of nowhere, great interest in the abstract, being able to weave several different imaginative ideas together, being able to take a small piece of information and just fill in the blanks. You know...that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, I have a fairly good grasp on how Ne functions, yet I don't know how I appear to others. Here is something that stands out about my interaction with people:

My sense of humour. It is the weirdest, way out there, where-did-that-come-from sort of humour. I joke about things that could happen but probably never would because of their insane ridiculousness.

Conversation becomes extremely full of tangents when I'm around. I hardly ever have just "a thought" and hardly ever do I follow that thought all the way down. No, there will be a thought, and then very loosely related thoughts (and stemming from those are other loosely related thoughts that don't really connect all that well to the Original Thought in the first place except through the Loosely Related Thought it came from). Etc. Somehow, a variety of things relate to each other.

Broadness to the extreme. Just saying. Hardly ever do I have some narrow thought that only applies to "one thing". No, it'll be a huge broad thought that applies and relates to everything, and I'll have extreme troubling narrowing that one thought down and applying it specifically to whatever.

People see me as optimistic and bright because through my eyes the world is limitless. Full of potential. And I am aware just how much the things around me change. Childlike curiosity about the most seemingly mundane things.

Repetition, like @arkigos says, is a total no-no. Shoot me now. Structures, schedules, 'meaningless details', hard defining lines, tight systems -- those are hard for me. I often gloss over such things. I want nothing to limit my visibility. I want to see and perceive far.

Introspection is intense and and in bursts. The rest of the time my mind is busy thinking about all that is out there to explore and discover and you name it. I look ambiverted, I'm sure. To some of my friends, I am an "introvert". However, Ne isn't exactly the master of the social sphere. Sometimes Ne doesn't focus on people. Sometimes it is totally focused on something else. So Ne-doms aren't necessarily going to be those spunky Extroverted folks all the time. They might be hidden, quietly observing. But their minds will be on whatever object has caught their interest.

Brainstorming for Ne-doms is more like Idea Vomit, really. It's a bunch of oddly connected thoughts that tumble out. And sometimes it can be extremely hard for a Ne-dom to simply start an essay or try how they reached some conclusion because the thought process was simply so far out and scattered and all-encompassing it takes great energy to piece everything together cohesively.

Ne-doms aren't necessarily long winded all the time. I know when it comes to essays, I have trouble. I can say in a sentence what some people think they must explain in a paragraph. I can explain in a paragraph what other think they must explain in an essay. This is, I think, because Ne is brilliant at "skimming" and then choosing what it all "boils down to". This is why Ne-doms might find themselves good at debate, I think, or some form of public speaking.

And Ne-doms never constrain their thoughts to reality.

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Like bullet ricochet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here's my parallel model-oriented speculation on N in general (so we can better think about Ne contextually). I think the cognitive functions work like language works--each functions gains meaning contextually--such that each word means something in itself, but is equally impacted by context. Maybe someone else with a stronger T can iron my ideas it out:

Ne multiplies variables to get results. Everything is considered without regards to circumstantial interference (more idealistic).
1. The amount of hypotheses are increased by iNtuitively mixing many variables together (Ne) chosen by known principles (Fi or Ti).
2. The new thoughts or feelings gained from the hypotheses are cross-contextualized internally (by the Si) to sensibly understand the material.
3a. The dominant judging function then evaluates the results in conjunction with principle, and comes to a conclusion. (Ti, Fi)
3b. The inferior judging function then evaluates the results in conjunction with the system (Te, Fe)

Ni reduces variables to get results. Everything is considered with regards to circumstantial interference (more concrete).
1. The amount of hypotheses are iNtuitively reduced (Ni) based on systematic criteria (Te or Fe).
2. The proposed system is then tested externally (Se) to sensibly understand the material.
3a. The dominant judging function then evaluates the results in conjunction with the system, and comes to a conclusion. (Te, Fe)
3b. The inferior judging function the evaluates the results in conjunction with principle, and comes to a conclusion. (Ti, Fi)

Here's my personal $0.02:
When I use my Ne, I see many different possible arrangements of unrestricted variables all at once. If there isn't resolve in the immediate future, I'm okay with that, because everything is a hypothetical. I can balance many seemingly contradictory principles at once, and cross-contextualize them to distill sort of meta-principles or categories that I can use as a source of ideological traction e.g. finding whats in common. Like taking an apple and an orange, and saying "fruit". More variables are introduced that way, and I can try more things.

I often find that I prefer to "work-around" contradictions than go straight through them. Can anyone relate to that?

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Here's my parallel model-oriented speculation on N in general (so we can better think about Ne contextually). I think the cognitive functions work like language works--each functions gains meaning contextually--such that each word means something in itself, but is equally impacted by context. Maybe someone else with a stronger T can iron my ideas it out:

Ne multiplies variables to get results. Everything is considered without regards to circumstantial interference (more idealistic).
1. The amount of hypotheses are increased by iNtuitively mixing many variables together (Ne) chosen by known principles (Fi or Ti).
2. The new thoughts or feelings gained from the hypotheses are cross-contextualized internally (by the Si) to sensibly understand the material.
3a. The dominant judging function then evaluates the results in conjunction with principle, and comes to a conclusion. (Ti, Fi)
3b. The inferior judging function then evaluates the results in conjunction with the system (Te, Fe)

Ni reduces variables to get results. Everything is considered with regards to circumstantial interference (more concrete).
1. The amount of hypotheses are iNtuitively reduced (Ni) based on systematic criteria (Te or Fe).
2. The proposed system is then tested externally (Se) to sensibly understand the material.
3a. The dominant judging function then evaluates the results in conjunction with the system, and comes to a conclusion. (Te, Fe)
3b. The inferior judging function the evaluates the results in conjunction with principle, and comes to a conclusion. (Ti, Fi)

Here's my personal $0.02:
When I use my Ne, I see many different possible arrangements of unrestricted variables all at once. If there isn't resolve in the immediate future, I'm okay with that, because everything is a hypothetical. I can balance many seemingly contradictory principles at once, and cross-contextualize them to distill sort of meta-principles or categories that I can use as a source of ideological traction e.g. finding whats in common. Like taking an apple and an orange, and saying "fruit". More variables are introduced that way, and I can try more things.

I often find that I prefer to "work-around" contradictions than go straight through them. Can anyone relate to that?
Having not completely processed the details - I find this to be quite astute. I've been tackling the Ne vs Ni problem a lot in my brains lately and this is a great breakdown.

I also defer on contradictions in hypotheses. They are typically the result of insufficient 'distillation' of principles... they will either become moot or will end up being the key to the whole system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having not completely processed the details - I find this to be quite astute. I've been tackling the Ne vs Ni problem a lot in my brains lately and this is a great breakdown.

I also defer on contradictions in hypotheses. They are typically the result of insufficient 'distillation' of principles... they will either become moot or will end up being the key to the whole system.
I thank you for your acknowledgment. I enjoy being astute :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts