Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an ENFP, particularity? I'm fairly sure I have inferior si but I'm just curious to know more about how exactly it manifests itself. What about inferior te?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Check out this thread:

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/499642-manifestations-inferior-si.html

From MBTI:

Dominant Extraverted Intuition Types / Inferior Introverted Sensing (ENTP and ENFP)
At their best...In an exaggerated state...

• Form global pictures and understandings

• Are obsessed with/convinced of links between things

• Are innovative

• Want change for the sake of change--novelty

• Are enthusiastic, fast paced

• Are over the top--frantic, out of control

• See possibilities

• Are swamped with options, can't decide

• Are flexible

• Experience sudden, irrational changes
In the grip...

Focus on one fact or detail and lose the big picture. May become convinced that they have a dire illness. Obsess about whatever is happening at the moment and are unable to move on from that. May become depressed and see no way out of it.

http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/273458-mbti-reference.html#post8367602

·
Registered
656 Posts
Not sure if you want to know about inferior Si in a healthy Ne-dom or what it looks like when 'in the grip'.

If you are ENFP you definitely have inferior Si. In a healthy state it's mainly memories which can come out as nostalgia. Keeping souvenirs, trinkets, etc. to remember the past and occasionally taking them out to reminisce.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
It usually manifests itself in being trapped in a routine and being cut off from seeing possibilities. It becomes focused on what has constantly been done, and becomes divorced from seeing any other way than what has been tried and proven. I've cut and pasted the major themes of inferior Si in the quoted section.

ENTPs and ENFPs
� Withdrawal and depression
� Obsessiveness
� Focus on the body

As the connection with dominant Intuition diminishes, so do Extraverted Intuitive types characteristic enthusiasm, optimism, and energetic approach to life. When their hold on their dominant and auxiliary functions CONTINUES to taper off, the qualities of inferior Introverted Sensing manifest in withdrawal and depression, obsessiveness, and a focus on the body. For ENTPs, tertiary Feeling emerges as strong, uncontrollable, and emotional criticism that accompanies the obsessive 'facts' that overwhelm them. The tertiary Thinking of ENFPs contributes to their obsessive 'facts' the sarcastic, legalistic 'logic' that proves others' failings.

'There is a sense of feeling numb and frozen with no way out,' said an ENFP. 'I have tunnel vision and lose my sense of time.' Another noted that when he is under too much pressure, his verbal skills deteriorate until 'I become almost mute.' Many ENFPs describe turning inward, eventually becoming grumpy and depressed and putting people off. Their Feeling side seems to disappear. One ENFP said, 'I realized I had become numb and frozen inside' there was no light, no energy 'just a wasteland of a landscape, and I was plodding through it.' Another ENFP described 'deep depression and hopelessness. The most extreme unrealistic scenarios become real and factual. I will be broke, I will die of some dread disease, I will lose all respect among professional colleagues.

The tunnel vision that accompanies the expression of all the inferior functions is particularly dramatic for ENTPs and ENFPs because they no longer have the Extraverted Intuitive energy necessary to envision a future that differs from their present obsession. All sense of possibilities is eliminated.'

They may focus on a thought, such as 'I'm alone now and will always be alone,' ENTPs and ENFPs cannot recognize the fact in question as one possibility among many. No perspective exists for the person beyond the one fact. Extraverted Intuitive types in this state report being unable to respond to alternatives presented to them by others. The present fact be it pain, depression, or whatever occupies the central focus at that moment is projected into forever.

Extraverted Intuitive types, in contrast, are typically optimistic and welcoming of future possibilities. But when they get stuck on a present fact or situation, they lose sight of the future, imagining it as an endless repetition of the negative situation that is occurring right now.

Basically, no new possibilities will ever exist to you ever again, you will be stuck doing the same thing over and over again and nothing in life will ever change, just be the same and get worse. You will only re-live threw past experiences over and over again. What has happened is all that there is.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Inferior Si basically means the person has little or no inherent respect for people's expectations or conventions and will openly act bizarre and hold potentially bizarre, unprecedented beliefs, with little concern for practicality and more for just breaking every unspoken rule of conduct and trolling people.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
It usually manifests itself in being trapped in a routine and being cut off from seeing possibilities. It becomes focused on what has constantly been done, and becomes divorced from seeing any other way than what has been tried and proven. I've cut and pasted the major themes of inferior Si in the quoted section.

Basically, no new possibilities will ever exist to you ever again, you will be stuck doing the same thing over and over again and nothing in life will ever change, just be the same and get worse. You will only re-live threw past experiences over and over again. What has happened is all that there is.
This hits painfully close to home.... But not in stress situation per se. In a loss and depressive state.... Or.... Am I ENFP? o_O

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
This hits painfully close to home.... But not in stress situation per se. In a loss and depressive state.... Or.... Am I ENFP? o_O
I was thinking that the parts did hit close to home yesterday as well. I think it is more of losing sight of Ne? Because it does happen especially when I am in a FiSi loop. Well for me inferior Te is clear as day though, so :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Inferior Si, especially in the grip, can come off as a fear of ever settling down or sticking with something permanently. Ne doms don't like the pressure of having to choose something if we're not 100% sure it's what we want. That's why we're notorious for switching our majors, oh, 5 or 6 times. The mere idea of settling down personally makes me cringe. I could never see myself in the typical American Dream-esque lifestyle. Married with 2 kids by 30, white picket fence suburbia. Talking to my neighbors about which lawnmower is the most efficient. Fuck that shit.

Healthy Si has allowed me to actually stick to a somewhat consistent exercise routine, something I've been totally incapable of doing in the past. Si definitely has ties with maintaining a certain bodily state. You'll notice a lot of Si doms tend to have very strict diet and exercise regimens. I love reminiscing and nostalgia tends to hit me very hard. I tend to tie certain environments I'm in with certain music, people, etc. and sometimes it's overwhelming.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts

I would have thought the opposite, actually. Kind of like along the lines of what @Tom Soy Sauce has just said. ENPs aren't the ones in danger of getting trapped in a fossilized routine; that would be ISJs. What ENPs are in danger of is quite the opposite, that is, having no anchor at all and never establishing roots anywhere or in anything enough to get very deeply involved with it.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would have thought the opposite, actually. Kind of like along the lines of what @Tom Soy Sauce has just said. ENPs aren't the ones in danger of getting trapped in a fossilized routine; that would be ISJs. What ENPs are in danger of is quite the opposite, that is, having no anchor at all and never establishing roots anywhere or in anything enough to get very deeply involved with it.
Good description. And while it might seem optimal, having no anchor whatsoever can also make the Ne dom uneasy, because Si is almost like a nagging force that we try to stifle but it's always there. I like to think of it as a push/pull routine with dominant Ne and inferior Si. You can see this constantly with ENTPs, especially in regards to new ideas we formulate. The idea forming process is grand, and it's fun until we have to work out the kinks and small details. If the idea doesn't take off immediately we lose interest. I like to refer to this video as the perfect example of such.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Good description. And while it might seem optimal, having no anchor whatsoever can also make the Ne dom uneasy, because Si is almost like a nagging force that we try to stifle but it's always there. I like to think of it as a push/pull routine with dominant Ne and inferior Si. You can see this constantly with ENTPs, especially in regards to new ideas we formulate. The idea forming process is grand, and it's fun until we have to work out the kinks and small details. If the idea doesn't take off immediately we lose interest. I like to refer to this video as the perfect example of such.

rofl. Even as an aux Ne I feel this too often xD I drag working on my ideas after the initiation phase and completing projects, indeed ugh the small details especially when I face mundane little but consistently frequent problems.

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
Haha funny vid. I still relate somewhat as I am an INTP who has actually become more extroverted as of lately in my life. I get bored with things more quickly than ever. My life is a heap of projects I started and spent a few days on before getting bored with. Someone once described the P mindset as "a surfer waiting for the big one". I thought that was pretty apt. Inspiration has to carry me through or I don't finish things.

The question is, should a person focus more on their dominant functions or their inferior ones. Many read into MBTI that the inferior functions are the ones they need to develop and try to fix. So, should an ENP try to chain herself down somewhat to appease inferior Si?

I would say no. I personally go by Lenore Thompson's philosophy, which is that people should generally ignore their inferior functions and focus on the 2 dominant ones, because those are their strengths and it is better to be great at something with a weak other pole that you don't use much, than to be mediocre across the board. Maybe it is better for an ENP to be that free spirited restless genius than it is for him to try to put on strictures which will never feel right.

As an INTP, I have found this works wonders. In my past, I was more of the mind that one must try hard to compensate for one's weaknesses. For me, it meant trying to pull my weight in the social world; keeping friends, trying to date, looking to get married and start a family, etc. You know, Fe stuff. That always felt like a large burden... but I think I reached a point where I admitted to myself that I would never be good at Fe and that I should just let it go and focus more on who I am than who I'm not.

Paradoxically, that's led to my becoming more extroverted because when I let go of the Fe-stuff I mentioned, I began to focus more on Ti-Ne stuff like abstract ideas and science, etc. These things began to develop, and my relationships began to change along with them. Many friendships wound up ending, but many new ones formed. If I'm not talking to people about ideas rather than people or events, I get bored and leave, and that's OK. It's led to me finding several philosophy and science discussion groups, and working my way up in their hierarchies without even feeling like it was something I was forcing myself to do.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What Arrow described was how inferior Si flares up when a Ne-dom is stressed or depressed. In MBTI it's commonly called being in the grip.

The OP didn't specify whether she wanted stressed or unstressed Si so people gave answers for both.

Edit: Whoops, I think Tom's description of stressed inferior Si is more about the bad side of having Si as an inferior function rather than its manifestation when it flares up when stressed.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
As it's been said above, the definition I was speaking about is when ENP's are in the grip of their inferior form which means they lose access to their healthier functions and fall into their under utilized ones and fall prey to their inferior functions. This is what an ENP looks like when they are lost in their inferior form and are using their inferior Si because they can't access Ne or Fi, or their other better utilized functions. In regards to every day use of Si, your not likely to see it because ENP's aren't going to consciously use it or at least not use it healthily in a way that will seem productive. You'll probably see hints here and there, but you will most likely see the unhealthy part of inferior Si in an ENP than healthier aspects of the function, as it's the least controlled function in an ENP.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
check my functional stack below: Te - unused, inferior functions are real folks, it does not mean I am able to apply it effortlessly to live an efficient and executive life because it is included in MBTI.

Actually it seems my Si is worst but eh, I know I am an INFP and I have my infamous inferior Te moments :p (at times though it is quite useful as Te whether perfected or inferior do get your point out there) I do however have a Te preference so it shouldn't be completely overlooked either, it is in form of aspiration which keeps my facts straight and logic objective as opposed to Ti users

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I relate to aspects of dominant Ne and inferior Si but after living with an ENTP I'm very confident that I'm not an ENFP, haha.

I was thinking that the parts did hit close to home yesterday as well. I think it is more of losing sight of Ne? Because it does happen especially when I am in a FiSi loop. Well for me inferior Te is clear as day though, so :)
I agree. Sounds more like a Fi-Si loop to me.

Inferior Si, especially in the grip, can come off as a fear of ever settling down or sticking with something permanently. Ne doms don't like the pressure of having to choose something if we're not 100% sure it's what we want. That's why we're notorious for switching our majors, oh, 5 or 6 times. The mere idea of settling down personally makes me cringe. I could never see myself in the typical American Dream-esque lifestyle. Married with 2 kids by 30, white picket fence suburbia. Talking to my neighbors about which lawnmower is the most efficient. Fuck that shit.
Good description. And while it might seem optimal, having no anchor whatsoever can also make the Ne dom uneasy, because Si is almost like a nagging force that we try to stifle but it's always there. I like to think of it as a push/pull routine with dominant Ne and inferior Si.
Perfectly describes my ENTP. Oh my goodness. I keep thinking I'm flighty and prone to second guessing myself but compared to him I feel rigid and boring, hahaha.

@Amine I also feel like it's better to focus on the top two functions, but part of me always wonders if that's just because I'm more comfortable with them. XD I guess the becoming-more-extraverted part is mostly confidence... if we're focusing on and developing something that we're well-suited to, our confidence is going to grow and we're going to be more likely to put ourselves out there, without fear of being rejected.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I hope you dont care OP but Im an ENFP too and have a question about this topic too haha.

Ive noticed that when Im really sad like for months (problems etc) I tend to eat more and also starve myself so I can feel something, I like writting and I have a very visceral and angry style in those periods, is that Si in the grip?

Btw, something that never happens to me when Im sad is getting stuck in a routine, quite the opposite Id say...I loose control of my life and just ignore daily stuff and those things. What I try to do is to get into a routine so I can stabilize my life (sports, sleeping well, studying at the same hour) but I normally fail because I'm like a free bird xD

·
Registered
5,968 Posts
I also feel like it's better to focus on the top two functions, but part of me always wonders if that's just because I'm more comfortable with them. XD I guess the becoming-more-extraverted part is mostly confidence... if we're focusing on and developing something that we're well-suited to, our confidence is going to grow and we're going to be more likely to put ourselves out there, without fear of being rejected.
In theory, here is what happens. When you try to focus on your inferior functions, you wind up emphasizing the auxiliary and it gives you a double dose of whatever your E/I is, which is bad. For instance, an INTP will tend to overexpress Ti-Si and this will essentially cause nothing but stagnation... and a vicious cycle of effort and collapse.

The preferable alternative is to rely on your auxiliary, which has the other E/I. So instead of Ti-Si, we go Ti-Ne. Yes, it feels more comfortable, but we shouldn't feel guilty about that. In fact, you might feel downright selfish and lazy, and it may take some time and major life catastrophes to start working. Essentially, your old world will fall apart and have to be rebuilt.

Like I mentioned, for me here is how that looked. I maintained a lot of friendships which I kept more out of guilt than passion. I hung out with them because I thought I had to, that's what I was supposed to do. I put on a mask and pretended to be like them. I also tried to date, but was really bad at it. I had the intention of getting married and whatnot. When I switched to Ne instead of Si, I just gave up on those things. I let my old friendships whither and die, and I gave up making an active effort to date, too. I also quit my career, but that is a bit dangerous because it's survival we are talking about. For a long time, I was very alone, but it was okay. I'd spend my time reading about science, technology, philosophy, etc. and liking it very much. Eventually I decided I wanted to go to a couple of my city's meetup groups dealing with atheism and philosophy, and from there I have met people I actually do enjoy for their own sake.

For an ENTP, this would mean switching from Ne-Fe to Ne-Ti. If I had to speculate as to how that would look (and I could well be wrong), I would think that originally this ENTP would be in the same sort of situation as the INTP - trying to fit in with the common folk, but somewhat unsuccessfully, as she would be too off-the-wall for them and would wind up trolling them more than really bonding with them. So again the solution might be to let go of those people and those goals and just... well.. let go. Be crazy. But do it in an intelligent and meaningful way about life, using Ti to feed the interests of Ne. Who knows what this might mean. Exploring the planet, becoming a comedian, I have no idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts