Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am frequently typed as a sensor by most people but I still feel like this partially isn't true.

- I enjoy thinking deeply, I am actually very interested in philosophy and people's opinions on such matters. (I'm guessing this has to do with the abstract thinking, correct me if I am wrong.)
- I am very absent minded, I often think of possibilities as well as the current situation.
- I am good at looking at the bigger picture, even when other people do not.
- I spend a lot of time in my own head thinking up creative ideas or adding to the ones I already have.
- I often listen to ambient music, but when I do not I think about how these ideas relate to the lyrics or come up with new ones from the lyrics.
- I tend to be good with laws and even enforcing laws, unlike ISTP which I have been typed before, which works with me but not completely.
- I enjoy speaking to adults or even those younger than me than people my own age.

I'm not sure whether this would make me intuitive or not and I know a lot of sensor profiles aren't very good. But what does it mean to be an intuitive person (predominantly) do you relate to what I am saying or am I being stupid?

Is this even in the right topic?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
First sentence in your reasoning doesn't require either sensing or intuition.
Second sentence needs context.
Sometimes the colloquial big picture is not necessarily intuition.
Spending a lot of time in your head... more Ti than intuition.
Next one may be Si?
Not every ISTP is going to be rebellious and stuff, at all.
The last of those things doesn't seem related to a type at all.

When it's said intuition is reading between the lines, it means they're "seeing" situations but not in a way you'd get out of just a regular experience. There's a certain symbolism in intuition.

If it feels like being a sensor is merely partially not true, it could be because it's not easy to use sensing with no intuition backbone and vice versa. People are probably less aware of the impact of their lesser functions.
I think you're checking to see if really you're something other than whatever type you arrived at or what others say.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Well, I don't feel I know enough about you specifically to give an opinion about your type, but just in direct response to the traits you've listed, I feel a lot of the phrases you've used are a little too removed, if that makes sense. So, for instance, "I am good at looking at the big picture, even when other people do not" - in what situations, exactly? You've used "big picture", a phrase often associated with intuitives, without any real clarification of what you mean by it. Same with "I often think of possibilities": all people do this, and again you're lacking somewhat in clarification.

Deep thinking has nothing to do with intuition, nor does "[spending] a lot of time in [one's] own head". I agree that most type profiles aren't very good, but I personally struggle to do any better in actually saying what being of any given type actually involves (as opposed to what's extraneous to type, or generally not related to a particular dichotomy/function). Suffice to say I don't think any of the points you list, to the extent that they're clear enough to establish something from, give any real impression of what your perceiving function might be.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First sentence in your reasoning doesn't require either sensing or intuition.
Second sentence needs context.
Sometimes the colloquial big picture is not necessarily intuition.
Spending a lot of time in your head... more Ti than intuition.
Next one may be Si?
Not every ISTP is going to be rebellious and stuff, at all.
The last of those things doesn't seem related to a type at all.

When it's said intuition is reading between the lines, it means they're "seeing" situations but not in a way you'd get out of just a regular experience. There's a certain symbolism in intuition.

If it feels like being a sensor is merely partially not true, it could be because it's not easy to use sensing with no intuition backbone and vice versa. People are probably less aware of the impact of their lesser functions.
I think you're checking to see if really you're something other than whatever type you arrived at or what others say.
I am able to read-between the lines too. But I'm just not too sure how much I do it. I do find it pretty easy.
It's not necessarily the colloquial bigger picture either.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I don't feel I know enough about you specifically to give an opinion about your type, but just in direct response to the traits you've listed, I feel a lot of the phrases you've used are a little too removed, if that makes sense. So, for instance, "I am good at looking at the big picture, even when other people do not" - in what situations, exactly? You've used "big picture", a phrase often associated with intuitives, without any real clarification of what you mean by it. Same with "I often think of possibilities": all people do this, and again you're lacking somewhat in clarification.

Deep thinking has nothing to do with intuition, nor does "[spending] a lot of time in [one's] own head". I agree that most type profiles aren't very good, but I personally struggle to do any better in actually saying what being of any given type actually involves (as opposed to what's extraneous to type, or generally not related to a particular dichotomy/function). Suffice to say I don't think any of the points you list, to the extent that they're clear enough to establish something from, give any real impression of what your perceiving function might be.
I was able to look to the future, even if the people around me disagreed with me. I feel like I do it a little more than other people, that and if there was more sensing types around me and in my life, I should be able to relate to them but I don't.

·
Registered
18,511 Posts
To me being an intuitive means that I understand the world that is there but is not there. It's all about personal symbols and symbolism. Jung called them primordial images. It's a little like seeing things that are there but not actually there, like when I see another person I see something about their character that you can't literally see like they seem like a person who is climbing up a ladder but keeps falling down.

For example, when I read your OP I see something akin to a confused child not sure if they should listen to their teacher or their parents about what the right answer is.

None of the things you listed therefore relate to intuition in the Jungian sense though it may in an MBTI one.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I was able to look to the future, even if the people around me disagreed with me. I feel like I do it a little more than other people, that and if there was more sensing types around me and in my life, I should be able to relate to them but I don't.
I don't quite follow what you're saying here. Are you saying you're better than those around you at determining what's going to happen? I'm not sure how relevant it would be even if true.

Again, I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying, but if you're suggesting that you might be an intuitive because you don't relate to the people around you too well, and they're more likely to be sensors statistically, then again I don't think that says much. People will struggle to relate to those around them for a myriad of reasons, and differences in perception/cognition are just some of those reasons.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me being an intuitive means that I understand the world that is there but is not there. It's all about personal symbols and symbolism. Jung called them primordial images. It's a little like seeing things that are there but not actually there, like when I see another person I see something about their character that you can't literally see like they seem like a person who is climbing up a ladder but keeps falling down.

For example, when I read your OP I see something akin to a confused child not sure if they should listen to their teacher or their parents about what the right answer is.

None of the things you listed therefore relate to intuition in the Jungian sense though it may in an MBTI one.
That makes sense.

I just felt myself relating too a lot of things that the initiatives said. I'm not too sure whether this was because I was sensor or because of something else. It could possibly be due to the lack of understanding between sensors and intuitives that I picked these things up.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't quite follow what you're saying here. Are you saying you're better than those around you at determining what's going to happen? I'm not sure how relevant it would be even if true.

Again, I'm not entirely clear on what you're saying, but if you're suggesting that you might be an intuitive because you don't relate to the people around you too well, and they're more likely to be sensors statistically, then again I don't think that says much. People will struggle to relate to those around them for a myriad of reasons, and differences in perception/cognition are just some of those reasons.
Possible because I feel people don't relate to me, I don't relate to them emotionally in some way. This is more of a Ti thing?

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
Possible because I feel people don't relate to me, I don't relate to them emotionally in some way. This is more of a Ti thing?
Naaaah. It just isn't anything mang.

Tell me what you listen to, I'm a good judge of picking out types through musics.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Naaaah. It just isn't anything mang.

Tell me what you listen to, I'm a good judge of picking out types through musics.
I kind of like dark ambient:

I also like foreign music and vocaloids: (Sometimes they are fun even if I do not understand them, though I do like inspiration for English lyrics)

Sometimes just generic rock music/metal music or even screamo

Then even power electronics. But rarely, I find it interesting how it can sort of hurt your ears yet you enjoy it.

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
I am frequently typed as a sensor by most people but I still feel like this partially isn't true.

- I enjoy thinking deeply, I am actually very interested in philosophy and people's opinions on such matters. (I'm guessing this has to do with the abstract thinking, correct me if I am wrong.)
- I am very absent minded, I often think of possibilities as well as the current situation.
- I spend a lot of time in my own head thinking up creative ideas or adding to the ones I already have.
- I often listen to ambient music, but when I do not I think about how these ideas relate to the lyrics or come up with new ones from the lyrics.
- I tend to be good with laws and even enforcing laws, unlike ISTP which I have been typed before, which works with me but not completely.
- I enjoy speaking to adults or even those younger than me than people my own age.

I'm not sure whether this would make me intuitive or not and I know a lot of sensor profiles aren't very good. But what does it mean to be an intuitive person (predominantly) do you relate to what I am saying or am I being stupid?

read the functions, forget about profiles. I recently figured out I'm an Si dominant, I used to think I was intuitive too

·
Banned
1,701 Posts
@Ghostsoul

The intuition scales that I have in my brainskulls tell me that there is a potential, but you have not been able to awaken to your natural leanings to the Intuition MASTER RACE. You cannot fake being an intuition type, but you might want to expand your music listening to the more appropriate musical genres that all true Intuition enjoy.

This fine video from the artist Yung Lean is chock filled with symbolism, and the sonic intuition levels are off the charts for trap rap. The lyrics might not be an intellectual paradise, but this does arouse something very primal in all true Intuition. If you let yourself bask into the beats, letting your mind fly out of your primal body. You will see the true nature of yourself. Bask yourself in the faux nostalgia, and turn thyself into a bird. Your type is the bird that you turn yourself into.

If you manage to past the test, I will show you more advanced music.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@Ghostsoul

I'd be curious to see your results on the official "Step I" MBTI, which you can take here, Based on a little skimming of your PerC posts, you sound more like an IN than an IS to me.
INTP

INTP: Seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical.
Dominant function: Introverted Thinking.
Auxiliary function: Extraverted Intuition.

Extraversion
People who prefer Extraversion tend to focus on the outer world of people and things. E 4 17 I Intraversion
People who prefer Intraversion tend to focus on the inner world of ideas and impressions.

Sensing
People who prefer Sensing tend to focus on the present and on concrete information gained from the senses. S 3 23 N Intuition
People who prefer Intuition tend to focus on the future, with a view toward patterns and possibilities.

Thinking
People who prefer Thinking tend to base their decitions primarilly on logic and on objective analysis of cause and effect. T 19 5 F Feeling
People who prefer Feeling tend to base their decisions primarilly on values and on subjective evaluation of person-centered concerns.

Judging
People who prefer Judging tend to like a planned and organized approach to life and prefer to have things settled. J 4 18 P Perceiving
People who prefer Perceiving tend to like a flexible and spontaneous approach to life and prefer to keep their options open.

Preference clarity
I clear
N clear
T clear
P clear

I almost always get INTP in tests, I used to think I was an 'NT' before I came here, but then I was told I was an 'S' and got confused.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Ghostsoul

The intuition scales that I have in my brainskulls tell me that there is a potential, but you have not been able to awaken to your natural leanings to the Intuition MASTER RACE. You cannot fake being an intuition type, but you might want to expand your music listening to the more appropriate musical genres that all true Intuition enjoy.

This fine video from the artist Yung Lean is chock filled with symbolism, and the sonic intuition levels are off the charts for trap rap. The lyrics might not be an intellectual paradise, but this does arouse something very primal in all true Intuition. If you let yourself bask into the beats, letting your mind fly out of your primal body. You will see the true nature of yourself. Bask yourself in the faux nostalgia, and turn thyself into a bird. Your type is the bird that you turn yourself into.

If you manage to past the test, I will show you more advanced music.
Challenge accepted.

·
Super Moderator
2,220 Posts
@Ghostsoul

Before this thread turns into a debate, and before I offer any opinions, which system do you want to be typed in? Are you looking for your MBTI type, or the type you'd be if you go by the way Jung described his functions in psychological types?

·
Banned
5,472 Posts

I'm not sure if all of these things can be linked with function theory at all, much less to an intuitive vs. sensing function.

I'm gonna go all analytical on the topic, haha (How very Ti of me)

Okay so the intuitive function, is for perceiving, and the simplistic answer is: seeking patterns in the world around you. It isn't directly tied to imagination, depth of thought or anything like that. Where the intuitive function is in a person's function stacking can be determined by how much a person is preoccupied with the patterns that can be found in the information rather than the information itself. A sensor will be more focused on information that can be taken in by the five senses, but the intuition is always running at a subconscious level.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts