Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by a comment from @Figure.

When a one seeks to make things right...How do they go about it? What is the reform process? What does reforming mean in the practical sense for ones (how is it carried out)?

Looking for insight on how ones go about acting on their desire to reform. And what reform means to a one in terms of enneagram.

Reactions: Brains and Figure

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
More mechanically, I see "reformation" in 1's as the end product of energy flow and clashes between the Id and the Superego. The Id is the energetic, wild, unpredictable life energy that's grabby and self-serving. Superego houses the ideals of what a perfectly conforming person in society would do or want and never be criticized or rejected. Both Superego and Id are extremely powerful, influential psychic constructs, angel and devil on the shoulder, but type 1's generally gravitate to what the Superego says because it feels safer.

When the Id wants something, all that grabby selfish energy jets up from the Gut where the Superego jumps in and lines up what you want to do with what you "should" do. I might randomly see a shirt I really, really want and it's on sale - but Superego says no, you need to save your money; no, you don't need clothes; you need to budget more now, because you're starting to look like you're losing control. You "should" save your money because a civilized, good, responsible person saves money to do important things like put a down payment on a house, save for retirement, or pay bills on time, etc.

In this example, one I faced recently, I reformed "bad" impulse buying behavior with "good" restraint, didn't buy that shirt, and put $100 into my emergency cash fund. I "reformed" the bad impulse with "good" behavior. This is the general process for 1's - judging a want as bad, or something as deficient, unacceptable, and doing the opposite. In enneagram language we call this reaction formation.

1) Ones use reaction formation to avoid anger (i.e. direct anger) and stay in control of their feelings and instincts in order to maintain a self image of being right. Reaction formation is feeling one thing and then expressing the opposite or at least something unrelated, such as feeling resentful but acting nice, feeling a need to rest but working harder. The relentless demand of the inner critic to be good and do good at all times replaces personal needs and shuts down feelings.
2.) Reaction Formation is a defense mechanism by which individuals reduce or try to eliminate anxiety caused by their own thoughts, feelings, or behaviors that they consider unacceptable by responding in a manner that is the exact opposite of their real responses. The One’s active inner critic dictates what is acceptable based on social mores, contextual expectations, and moral principles, and reaction formation becomes a defensive remedy when Ones experience what they deem “unacceptable” reactions. A subtle example often seen in Ones is when they dislike someone yet are especially nice and polite to this person. A more blatant example – one that is not exclusive to Enneagram style Ones – is an individual who crusades against corporate corruption, only to be discovered later as having embezzled money from the organization.
3.) Avoidance: Error
Defense Mechanism: Reaction formation; expressing the opposite of your real feelings in your behavior. An example would be acting very friendly to someone you actually don’t like because you feel like that’s the right thing to do. (Usually you aren’t aware you are doing this on the spot).

This would apply to other areas as well. Perhaps a 1 college student went out drinking the night before an exam, flunks it, and feels guilty - then harangues her roommate to study for an exam to prevent her from not working hard enough. Maybe a 1 has a poor body image, so he constantly works out to get ripped so nobody can criticize his form. Perhaps a 1 texts while driving, and hits a pedestrian, and starts a word or mouth campaign to stop the habit as a way of coping with the guilt.

These are just offhand examples, but the general process is spontaneity, judgment from Superego, reaction formation to change bad behavior to good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts