Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has that "perfect sense of love" within their mind and heart.
What is your definition of love?

Is it something, you give... or get?
Is it something, you hold... or share?

Is it something that you will/do "just know" when it happens?

Is it something you do (love the verb) freely... or feel (love the emotion) freely?

Is it timeless?
Is it time-bound?

Does it have a look, a sense, a picture?

What is your definition of love....

·
Registered
802 Posts
To me, love looks like . . .

showing concern for the other person's feelings, even in the middle of an argument.

saying no when you know that's the best answer, especially when your heart is breaking to say yes.

the warm feeling that fills you when you think of the other person's laughter.

being happy just to sit in the same room together, despite each person doing his or her own task.

all the little things you miss when separated from your object of affection.

the messiest crap you've ever gotten into, yet simultaneously the most rewarding.

remembering to care for yourself so that you can continue to give to others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't have a very clear idea of love, so I'm just going to write random thoughts I've had about it.

I think that love is forever, but I don't think it's unconditional.
I also think that the word love gets thrown around way too much.. I don't like it when people do that.. I think it makes it lose all meaning.
And for some reason that I can't really explain, I think that when you're in love, you just know. Don't have anything to base that on, I just believe it.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
This. I don't believe in love, the feeling. I believe in love, the decision. I think it's
  • Seeing things from another's point of view; empathy
  • When seeing their smile or a little "hello" is all you need to get through those bad days
  • When you prioritize the person's happiness-- even when it might mean that they'd be happier without you. Most people wouldn't agree with me on this, but it just kind of WOWed me when a guy said, "I'd rather that she was happy without me than unhappy with me" after a breakup, regardless of how cheesy it might be.
  • When you would wait forever to see the person
Ironically, I met my SO debating the existence of love. :mellow:

He ended up changing his mind about believing it wasn't real.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Love to me is when two people decide to give each other what the other needs, and to do this everyday until their last breath on this earth. We can't always get what we want.. but if you're not getting what you need.. it's not love.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I could give you a TL;DR text dump about 'love'

But even then, I figure that wouldn't really explain the gist of it

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Love is a need to fulfill our needs by looking for the traits we lack in others. It's highly arbitrary and a blind concept that can't be consolidated with logic, making it bound to be unpredictable and therefore destructive. Love has a life on its own, sometimes it's sweet, sometimes it's out to kill you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I saw once a documentary on tv, and there was this guy who talked about his fiance. He said that one time she drank too much and puked, and he held her hair while she's puking, and he was still admiring how beautiful she was, so for me that's how love should be...loving someone even when you see them at their moments of weakness and humiliation...

·
Registered
473 Posts
What kind of love are we talking about? In Greek, there are many different kinds of love. I'm going to assume the question was about romantic love.

Romantic love is euphoric, but it doesn't usually stick around too long unless the other kinds of love are present as well. Agape love in particular. There is no English word that can encompass the meaning of agape. It is a principled love, a universal love which is not dependent on what we can get out of another person. It is a verb. It is something we do, something we show even when we don't much feel like it. It is unconditional, and the most beautiful kind of love there is. Agape is what you see when people exhaust themselves helping others they don't even know for free. It's the kind of love that moves some people to help homeless people and orphans. This is the kind of love that keeps two people married for all their lives despite the ups and downs, the falling in a out of romantic love, the disappointments, the temptations. It's the kind of love that is easily forgotten, but the most important of all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
What kind of love are we talking about? In Greek, there are many different kinds of love. I'm going to assume the question was about romantic love.

Romantic love is euphoric, but it doesn't usually stick around too long unless the other kinds of love are present as well. Agape love in particular. There is no English word that can encompass the meaning of agape. It is a principled love, a universal love which is not dependent on what we can get out of another person. It is a verb. It is something we do, something we show even when we don't much feel like it. It is unconditional, and the most beautiful kind of love there is. Agape is what you see when people exhaust themselves helping others they don't even know for free. It's the kind of love that moves some people to help homeless people and orphans. This is the kind of love that keeps two people married for all their lives despite the ups and downs, the falling in a out of romantic love, the disappointments, the temptations. It's the kind of love that is easily forgotten, but the most important of all.
I believe that "real love" is what you have described...AGAPE. I have nothing to add to this. Thank you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts