Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as it reads. Why you think of Love, what is it?

I'll start. I'm not a physical person, so Love by no means is sex to me. Love isn't even a relationship really. It's having someone close to depend on. Who genuinely cares about your well-being and is willing to sacrifice to help you. I don't think it is Love until sacrifice is needed. And given. And not complained about.

And how does Love feel?

I dunno. I'm an INTJ. And type 5. I don't feel. I can understand basically every emotion except Love. I even understand sacrifice and altruism. But I don't feel that I understand the feeling of Love. So I categorize it in the same realm with altruism. Cause that's as close as I've gotten.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Love to me is unconditional. It is when a person chooses to stick by your side through thick and thin, under the best and under the worst of circumstances. Love should also be non - judgmental. If someone really loves you they will understand that everyone makes mistakes, and that the more important thing is that you learned from the experience. I would agree with your statement that it's not really love until sacrifice is needed. That is TRUE love that is proven. Anyone can say they love you, and then when times get tough they run and are nowhere to be found until you pick yourself back up again and the rough time is over. Love feels reassuring and comforting; it makes you feel happy and complete.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I want...

Understanding, connection, acceptance, passion, adventure, challenges, warmth, safety, care, unity

What I want it to bring....

inspiration, growth, new understanding, strength, joy, compassion, belonging, purpose, meaning

What I think it is like....

incredible, mind blowing, irrational, terrifying, beautiful...

....almost impossible for me to put it into words

But I gave it my best shot :tongue:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
To me, love is a divine feeling, which is unconditional. Liking someone, and loving someone, has a lot of difference to me. This feeling is a slow process, and respect remains forever even when that person is not there anymore and even when I've moved forward in my life.

Reactions: Laguna

·
Registered
583 Posts
The greatest antidote to human misery, and the most powerful drug in existence, which most of us are hard-wired for. The withdrawal symptoms are rather horrid, though.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Something I can't feel right now and so desperately need. To unconditionally love myself.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Love is a waste of time and it only opens you up to feel more pain.

·
Banned
492 Posts
Love to me is a fake and altered concept, deriving from the modernization of media and a sedentary lifestyle, involving the created need to be unconditionally needed, in a highly judgmental world.

If i ever get married, it will have to be to some african tribal bitch who has never seen a disney movie involving princesses and prince charmings. Whenever i talk to girls about relationships, i start right off telling them there is no such thing as a prince charming, and that if they want one, they are lesbian. The princes in princess movies all have testosterone issues, or have gotten neutered.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I don't think love is a byproduct/construct of modernity.

Love to me is something intrinsic. It's something you feel about something or someone because somehow it resonates inside of you and inspires you to grow in deeper ways you can't imagine.

Sometimes love creates pain and wounds you more than you will ever know. It also rewards you with the joys of giving something away without expecting anything in return because you do it out of the goodness of your own heart and innocent dreams.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I separate love, sex and relationships, though the overlap is lovely.

I guess I feel love is a lot broader idea for me than some people see it, and it's just that emotional reaction when you intuitively develop that deep cate and affection for that part of someone's soul. For me, this pervades a lot of what is meaningful in my life, and overlaps friends family and partners.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Erm... I suppose love is pretty much a construct in an objective sense. But since it's a subjective question, love to me is:

Equality
To want to make someone as happy as they make you. To want the best for them as you want the best for yourself (e.g. the act itself is its reward).

Transcendent
It is moments of passion, but also moments where you don't need to speak, just soak in one another's presence. No need to touch, no need to tear off clothes, just a tender, passive appreciation.

Good arguments
Yes, I'm weird. I love the small tiffs over silly things, because they remind you how glorious the person is. I think humans don't like getting "accustomed" to people, they find habit to be dull. So sometimes it takes these jolts to remember how great a bit of habit/monotony actually can be. Plus the make up process is awesomeness in a can :).

Reactions: Laguna and nonesuch

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think it is Love until sacrifice is needed. And given. And not complained about.
Love give me tremendous motivation and energy. It makes me want to become a better person so I can protect people I love and be worthy of being loved. Yes, sacrifices can be made without question.

It may be an F thing, but to me love is something instinctive: when you feel it, you will know what it is.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Not mean to discuss or argue it is just my opinion, but to me love is not unconditional. This concept creates one of the most deadly traps. I'm not into religion but not even the love of God and the promised heaven are unconditional.

To me love is something simple but complicated to explain, it involves more loyalty than being faithful. I don't know how to express the rest except that it is not meant to change others (domination) but colaboration.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
The quote in my signature from the Mumford & Sons song Sigh No More, explains my idea of love beautifully:

Love; it will not betray you, dismay, or enslave you,
It will set you free.
Be more like the man you were made to be.
There is a design, an alignment, a cry
Of my heart to see,
The beauty of love as it was made to be.

By the way, I agree that love is not unconditional...unless it is in a healthy Parent/child relationship. Basically, we all have deal breakers, aka conditions; for instance, if my Husband started to hit me, I would be out.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Love is two people liking each other a fucking lot and trying their best to be loyal and exclusive to each other

1 - 20 of 41 Posts