Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
INTPs:

• What are you doing when you feel successful?
  • What signs are there that you've been successful?
  • What does success look like to you?
  • What doesn't it look like?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
  • What are you doing when you feel successful? Completing a task
  • What signs are there that you've been successful? My life moving forward. I can't really pinpoint it but i just feel content with who i am after i have been successful in something.
  • What does success look like to you? A successful person assesses their own potential and takes affirmative steps toward that potential and accomplishes it. I think each person's potential is different from others and people are at their own discretion when it comes to believing in what their potential is. For me success is finishing law school and becoming an active contributor to legal scholarship. When i am a published author is when i will be happy and will reach my potential.
  • What doesn't it look like? Success can't be measured by anything so it isn't going to be quantitative. I think a successful person looks happy and fulfilled.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Strange thing to think about. I don't think I have achieved 'real success' yet. I would just feel much better about myself for accomplishing something I wanted to.

·
Registered
856 Posts
1. Getting the results I wanted from something.
2. Personal satisfaction. It's not enough for other people to think I've done well. I need to live up to my own expectations first and foremost.
3. Success looks like a happy me.
4. Success doesn't look like a disappointed me.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Completing all the tasks I've set out for myself.
Happiness and the complete annihilation of regret.
A nice house, a family, and a job I'd gladly do for free.
Hundreds of Thousands of dollars in debt with no realistic way of getting out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Strange thing to think about. I don't think I have achieved 'real success' yet. I would just feel much better about myself for accomplishing something I wanted to.
Same here, I don't think I ever experienced success, and I definitely never shared or celebrated it.

"Success" . . . I doubt, well everything to do with it. I just am, who ever I am, there's always things that could go or could have gone better, or could have gone worse, though it may not directly seem like it at the time.

Seems I also tend to sabotage myself from reaching success, at least that was the conclusion they came to in an assertiveness course I participated in. I can be "successful" when the goal is something exterior to myself (like work or helping someone else out) but not when it is something interior.

Edit:
Ok I'll share something personal: I never finished my masters degree, I passed all classes, but never put in a thesis. I had the perfect idea in my mind, still do, and can explain it to people pretty easily. But to put it onto paper . . Just seems so definitive, and while many people told me it doesn't have to be ground-breaking or something, I myself know I could not be content if it won't at least be insightful for who ever might read it.
I guess I can be my own worst critic at times.

Reactions: slightlycrazed

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
INTPs:

As the cliche goes, it's a journey, not a destination. Or perhaps I should call it a state of being. It's not a thing you attain, but a state of mind. When you're life's at equilibrium, when you're living up to your potential (sometimes a challenge for INTP's!), when you've attained both external contentment and inner peace. When your outside world is not a threat to you, and is having a positive energetic relationship with you. When you're attaining self-actualization. It's something much more lasting and permanent and meaningful than just getting a job done (though attaining personal life goals can be a part of it).

When you're making a creative contribution and you're being appreciated. You feel like you've "given" something to the world, like your life makes a difference. Like it wouldn't be the same if you weren't there. But you *are* there...and glad to be!

As much as my NP self loves adventure, a certain degree of stability is also key. Success isn't a moment in time. You want it to last as long as you can, though you also have to understand nothing is forever and not be overly rueful when it's gone. One form of success is knowing your friends who are there for you will still be there for you as long as you can foresee. That gives you a greater feeling of inner peace...when you can see there are no clouds on the horizon, except for the challenges you willingly face yourself to make yourself stronger, more experienced, more well rounded, more accomplished...more successful. Things happen on your own terms. You still realize things will happen, you know forces could tear your life apart, but you're not thinking about that. You're in the moment, enjoying everything life is offering you to the fullest. That's success.

If my definition sounds a little like happiness, or like peace, I think it's true. One is only motivated to be successful at concrete tasks because of something they feel it will gain them, whether external or internal, tangible or not, necessary or not. But ultimately even the tangible things we strive to be successful for, we strive for because we think they will make us happy. So shoot for happiness itself...the actual state of contentment, self-actualization, loving and being loved, and the feeling you've led a meaningful life. When you understand what we're really all here for, and aim to achieve that state...and try to stay in it when you've reached it...that is the ultimate success. Everything else is just an extension, a microcosm, manifestation, of that ideal.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
INTPs:

not failing.

I don't feel terrible about myself

more content than discontent regarding the action at which I am succeeding

fetal position

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
5,160 Posts
in essence... popularity.

In some of the places of my life where I was recognized as being professionally successful... it didn't change much. I gained more attention or positive reviews but there wasn't a wave of professional offers because of it.

'course I did (and probably still do to an extent) have a tendency to sabotage or step away from situations that would thrust me into the spotlight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts