Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

Do you ever find that you tend to overreact to things? It seems that I always seem to jump to conclusions about certain things, one of them primarily being when I feel like someone has a negative opinion about me. When someone says or does something that can be interpreted in multiple ways, I seem to dream up the worst case scenario, and ultimately end up feeling like I'm hated. When I talk to other friends about it, they always seem to assure me that I'm overreacting, but when there's no one to speak to about it, or when I choose not to speak to someone about it, something in my mind forces me to jump to the absolute worst interpretation of a situation.

I understand that ENFPs are sensitive, and hate to feel disliked, but does this translate to constant overreactions? Or excessive worrying? When I feel as though someone isn't happy with me, in the moment I can throw away all logic and just have an internal freak out about it. I can really become a completely different person when this happens, and I obsess over a single action or word that I'm worried about. I can do this while simultaneously interacting with other people, so no one really sees it, but it can become a bit consuming sometimes.

·
Banned
72 Posts
I used to do this often... especially when I stayed at home! I find it really helps just count to ten and use the perceiving side to contemplate the different things the person could have meant. More often than not, it's not as bad as you think!

I think it's because we attach such strong feelings to things (??) For instance if my mother said one wrong thing about any of my friends I would jump to their defence and yell at her to keep out of it and not judge etc etc even if she were right. Now if she does it I just smile and say that "so and so is my friend and has never let me down, I appriciate that she cares for me but it's none of her business" in a really nice way.

If you are struggling with over-reacting then it's just something you need to work on, no quick fixes! trust me... it's taken years for me and I still do it every now and then!

·
Registered
226 Posts
That's part of Ne rage, you should let Fi and Te join the party. I believe those two can shut up the Ne mouth. However, before you manage 3 to work well together, you will have a constant battle in your head. I have that right now and it sucks

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah, I do the same thing sometimes. I convince myself that a lot of people I know who are still in high school don't like me, but I'm slowly getting past that--very slowly...

·
Registered
318 Posts
When I get really comfortable in a situation, I am constantly worried that I'm overstepping my social bounds, but only after I stop and think about it. I worked at a job with a tight knit set of co-workers, and used to joke around and make mean jokes back and forth at each other all the time, but even to this day I wonder if they all secretly hated me and just put up with me at the time because they had to.

most of the time though I assume people mean the best, or try to give people as much leeway to have meant something nice instead. Or if I think it might have been negative, I just brush it aside and tell myself not to worry about it. As Damien said, thinking about it logically will convince you it's probably not all against you, and trusting in your sense of self with Fi will help you feel more centered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts