Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm definitely a reactive triader, but for whatever reason I relate more to the withdrawal than superego compliant triad based on the brief descriptions (that probably aren't doing the complexity of the superego triad justice). How exactly would a phobic 6 comply with their superego during times of stress? Could the superego be telling you to withdraw?

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
My experience as a double-superego:
Being a strong superego type is, basically, being a type which has a little voice in your head constantly saying, "You should do X..." and "You ought to do Y..." It's very important to note that many superego types aren't driven to follow external rules all the time, but are more concerned about internal rules. This means they can be very contrary if they feel like the situation doesn't line up to their values (you could substitute "experiences" or "expectations" or similar concepts), even though the rules imposed may support it.

As for "withdrawing" via superego, entirely possible. One example: sharing everything but X with a person, because your superego says you shouldn't worry them. (Though in practice, a superego type would probably consciously think, "I don't want to worry them" or "I can handle it by myself.") Or, not dissenting in a group environment because you would rock the boat and keeping the peace feels more important.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
Probably someone who is prone to guilt trips. On him/herself and others.
Probably true. I try to not intentionally guilt others, but probably end up doing so more often than I'm aware. Or come off as guilt-tripping when I'm simply discussing something. I certainly feel plenty of guilt about myself.

Then again, it's possible for the person to be unaware of their guilt. CP6s come to mind. I know some 2s who would cover up their guilt(-tripping) with pride, as well.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
6's are compliant to their superego in their pursuit to gain security. They often wish they had an "Instruction book" for life to follow, so they tend to associate themselves with certain groups etc. so that they can follow the guidelines of that particular group.

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
6's are compliant to their superego in their pursuit to gain security. They often wish they had an "Instruction book" for life to follow, so they tend to associate themselves with certain groups etc. so that they can follow the guidelines of that particular group.
...SOC 6s might align themselves to a group...

As an SP/SX I tend to align with myself (my philosophies / ideals / values) and the very small number of people I trust (if I agree with them). Though I don't deny wanting an instruction book sometimes. Like, how much freaking easier would it be to have a script for socialization -_-

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
It's like taking attachment triad, add all the most exaggerated stereotype traits, throw them in a blender, label them as 6.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
...SOC 6s might align themselves to a group...

As an SP/SX I tend to align with myself (my philosophies / ideals / values) and the very small number of people I trust (if I agree with them). Though I don't deny wanting an instruction book sometimes. Like, how much freaking easier would it be to have a script for socialization -_-
I think I probably worded it wrong when I said groups. :p The philosophies/ideals/values etc. is what I meant - those will all fit into certain groups, or systems. (For instance, it's why there are different political parties, because the types of values can be fit into separate categories) I didn't mean social groups. :p

It's like taking attachment triad, add all the most exaggerated stereotype traits, throw them in a blender, label them as 6.
What exactly did you disagree with? Is it not common for 6's to try and find some sort of system that they can work within to find their footing? I wasn't saying they were blind followers - again, I wasn't referring to social groups. It's not like they're desperately searching for some sort of team or something and adapting themselves so that they can ~fit in~

It's more like they're testing different waters and finding what kind of system works for them, and then using the methods of that system when they run into some type of problem. This is just how I've interpreted it. :p I could be wrong~

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it's basically like "if I get a job and focus on work, then I'll feel secure", and if you still feel insecure after having a job, you say "Im gonna start a new hobby, and maybe then I'll feel secure", and so on and so forth?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
So it's basically like "if I get a job and focus on work, then I'll feel secure", and if you still feel insecure after having a job, you say "Im gonna start a new hobby, and maybe then I'll feel secure", and so on and so forth?
I'd say probably anything that the 6 can identify as steady and reliable, (like a job that offers good financial security, or some sort of belief system or outlook on life that works for them, a particular group of people that they feel they can trust, etc) is what they strive to maintain. Like finding some sort of "Safe zone" that they can work within. I'd say finding a hobby would be more of a 7 thing, but I guess a 6 could take up some sort of pastime to keep a level of comfort.

I don't know, now that I look at this thread I'm thinking maybe I need to do more research. :p Take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
I think I probably worded it wrong when I said groups. :p The philosophies/ideals/values etc. is what I meant - those will all fit into certain groups, or systems. (For instance, it's why there are different political parties, because the types of values can be fit into separate categories) I didn't mean social groups. :p

What exactly did you disagree with? Is it not common for 6's to try and find some sort of system that they can work within to find their footing? I wasn't saying they were blind followers - again, I wasn't referring to social groups. It's not like they're desperately searching for some sort of team or something and adapting themselves so that they can ~fit in~

It's more like they're testing different waters and finding what kind of system works for them, and then using the methods of that system when they run into some type of problem. This is just how I've interpreted it. :p I could be wrong~
Are you inclined towards this sort of behaviour since you're 6 wing then? :p

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think seeking out community groups, religious institutions, political parties, etc. is more 2-fix behavior. I've never related to the idea of wanting to be loyal to a group, person, institution or cause. 3-fixers and 4-fixers are more out for themselves.

A 4-fixed Six will seek security through self-expression, soul-searching and niche groups (hipster, goth, etc.), while a Three-fixed 6 will probably seek security through career (sp), popularity/fame (so) or physical attractiveness (sx).

·
Rebel without a cause
2,725 Posts
I think seeking out community groups, religious institutions, political parties, etc. is more 2-fix behavior. I've never related to the idea of wanting to be loyal to a group, person, institution or cause. 3-fixers and 4-fixers are more out for themselves.

A 4-fixed Six will seek security through self-expression, soul-searching and niche groups (hipster, goth, etc.), while a Three-fixed 6 will probably seek security through career (sp), popularity/fame (so) or physical attractiveness (sx).
0/10

1 - 16 of 16 Posts