Personality Cafe banner

21 - 40 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm not an INTP, I am extroverted. I'm 16. I don't know if Ti is a function I use except when I really need to think about something intricate like the MBTI system and even then it seems noting like the things I'm getting from the types. I know you said you were 22 when you figured it out, but I need it. I really just want to figure out my life and why I feel the way do.
No one can really tell you your type through a relatively simple conversation via text. I've figured out I was an INTP at 14.
My personal favorite method is taking an absurd amount of long quizzes from a variety of websites, reading the profiles and doing a bunch of research. If you're not an xNTP though... probably won't be nearly as much fun for you. Also there are quizes to score your functions. So far I've found that Ti and Te are the hardest to identify and articulate.

Figuring out your MBTI type won't answer your questions, and it's natural for people to try and fit the label they perceive themselves as- which would effictively undermine what you are trying to accomplish.
MBTI has a lot of grey area and is not psychology's forerunner in personality theory. So take everthing with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
No one can really tell you your type through a relatively simple conversation via text. I've figured out I was an INTP at 14.
My personal favorite method is taking an absurd amount of long quizzes from a variety of websites, reading the profiles and doing a bunch of research. If you're not an xNTP though... probably won't be nearly as much fun for you. Also there are quizes to score your functions. So far I've found that Ti and Te are the hardest to identify and articulate.

Figuring out your MBTI type won't answer your questions, and it's natural for people to try and fit the label they perceive themselves as- which would effictively undermine what you are trying to accomplish.
MBTI has a lot of grey area and is not psychology's forerunner in personality theory. So take everthing with a grain of salt.
Well I suppose that could work. Sounds exciting. I'm sorry about my griping, things just seem so difficult for me. After having a raher rough patch since leaving elementary school. I've recently always seem to have envy for people who are doing things with their life. Its so hard to live like that, to think their is elsewhere that you can be a greater use. I tried everything to get to that point with what I had but met all types up obstacles I thought if I found my type I could try to get there. I now realize that was wrong to assume and that realization is earth smashing. What makes everything worth it, I've seem to have forgotten what normal is like.

But enough rambling, thank you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess it would be helpful if a Ti dom could write a small excerpt of how they experience the world, perhaps highlighting the bits that involve the use of Ti. And then maybe the OP can see how it relates to their experience of the world? Idk.
Alright! Literally just joined this forum but… why not, right?

Having Ti isn’t really a feeling, I’d say. I thought it was a very very normal way of experiencing things until I eventually came to the realization that I couldn’t get enjoyment out of sensory based things in the same way I felt many of my friends could. Everything that I see and interact with goes through a filter of things I know, things I’m considering, things I’m interested in; and I wouldn’t even say it’s a conscious process either, I never think to myself “alright, now I’m going to sit down and consider this theory” I just do. I have to, in fact, because breaking apart what is happening and weighing and measuring and comparing it to the point where I feel like it can further fine-tune my need to understand how life works is the most natural and invigorating way I interact with the world (which is ironic because of course if you’re mulling something over in your mind you aren’t interacting too much, at least directly.) I can’t enjoy things simply for what they are, I need to link it up to broader concepts. It almost feels like a duty to do this, although it’s not something I ever feel pressured to do because it is often so unconscious and even fun (especially when something clicks into place and I’m able to understand something I didn’t before, it’s a very exciting experience). It simply happens, and, as with most other introverted types in a dominant position, I think no matter how many words I type on it I’d never be able to alliterate it correctly as it’s so much just a part of who I am. Removing it from myself in order to define it and explain it to others is almost impossible because it’s so integral to how I experience the world.

But also, OP, have you considered looking in the cognitive functions sub-forum? I’m pretty sure they’d have a thread on Ti in there (although I’m super super new so I don’t really know!).

Of course mandatory disclaimer that this is simply how Ti feels to me, and that other INTPs probably experience Ti differently.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Alright! Literally just joined this forum but… why not, right?

Having Ti isn’t really a feeling, I’d say. I thought it was a very very normal way of experiencing things until I eventually came to the realization that I couldn’t get enjoyment out of sensory based things in the same way I felt many of my friends could. Everything that I see and interact with goes through a filter of things I know, things I’m considering, things I’m interested in; and I wouldn’t even say it’s a conscious process either, I never think to myself “alright, now I’m going to sit down and consider this theory” I just do. I have to, in fact, because breaking apart what is happening and weighing and measuring and comparing it to the point where I feel like it can further fine-tune my need to understand how life works is the most natural and invigorating way I interact with the world (which is ironic because of course if you’re mulling something over in your mind you aren’t interacting too much, at least directly.) I can’t enjoy things simply for what they are, I need to link it up to broader concepts. It almost feels like a duty to do this, although it’s not something I ever feel pressured to do because it is often so unconscious and even fun (especially when something clicks into place and I’m able to understand something I didn’t before, it’s a very exciting experience). It simply happens, and, as with most other introverted types in a dominant position, I think no matter how many words I type on it I’d never be able to alliterate it correctly as it’s so much just a part of who I am. Removing it from myself in order to define it and explain it to others is almost impossible because it’s so integral to how I experience the world.

But also, OP, have you considered looking in the cognitive functions sub-forum? I’m pretty sure they’d have a thread on Ti in there (although I’m super super new so I don’t really know!).

Of course mandatory disclaimer that this is simply how Ti feels to me, and that other INTPs probably experience Ti differently.
I have and have decided to do some cognitive function studies and have come up with some good set ups. I'm either an INTP or INTJ. Apparently I'm not extroverted. I've been mistaking my expediting of anything not important and seeing whatever it is for not important to me by viewing life objectively because I don't care as extroverted. Both types explain different crucial parts of my life to a degree.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You take the blue pill-- the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill-- you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. You take both pills and I'm not really sure what will happen, though I have a few theories if you've got a few hours to spare.
When a person takes both pills they become religious.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have and have decided to do some cognitive function studies and have come up with some good set ups. I'm either an INTP or INTJ. Apparently I'm not extroverted. I've been mistaking my expediting of anything not important and seeing whatever it is for not important to me by viewing life objectively because I don't care as extroverted. Both types explain different crucial parts of my life to a degree.
I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion if you were doing cognitive function studies as INTPs and INTJs have very different function stacks? You're looking at Ni-Te vs. Ti-Ne, which are quite different once you get beyond the 'intuition vs sensing' and 'thinking vs feeling' portion of MBTI.

If I were you I'd focus on distinguishing if you have Ne or Ni instead of Ti or Te, as Ne and Ni--at least in my perspective--each have very distinctive and contrasting cues and ways of functioning. INTPs and INTJs are going to function dramatically differently in the real world as well. INTJs usually can very easily, and often want to, set long term, concrete goals and work very hard to achieve them in organized, methodical ways; while INTPs can be notoriously non-productive as they are more interested in mentally fine-tuning their own personal theories and conceptual definitions and much less so in actually implementing anything.

However, I'm also very confused as to what you're trying to express in the second half of your post 'I've been mistaking my expediting...' onwards so I might of missed something? Still, INTPs and INTJs are very different function wise (INTJs don't have Ti in their stack at all) so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
I'm not sure how you could come to that conclusion if you were doing cognitive function studies as INTPs and INTJs have very different function stacks? You're looking at Ni-Te vs. Ti-Ne, which are quite different once you get beyond the 'intuition vs sensing' and 'thinking vs feeling' portion of MBTI.

If I were you I'd focus on distinguishing if you have Ne or Ni instead of Ti or Te, as Ne and Ni--at least in my perspective--each have very distinctive and contrasting cues and ways of functioning. INTPs and INTJs are going to function dramatically differently in the real world as well. INTJs usually can very easily, and often want to, set long term, concrete goals and work very hard to achieve them in organized, methodical ways; while INTPs can be notoriously non-productive as they are more interested in mentally fine-tuning their own personal theories and conceptual definitions and much less so in actually implementing anything.

However, I'm also very confused as to what you're trying to express in the second half of your post 'I've been mistaking my expediting...' onwards so I might of missed something? Still, INTPs and INTJs are very different function wise (INTJs don't have Ti in their stack at all) so I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here.
Well… for you first and third paragraph, it's more complicated than that. I find myself to be in the middle of INTP - ISTP - INTJ (and, functions wise, maybe ENTJ). I just relate to INTP more, notably in the general mindset. But I can see all those types in me, in different situations. It's confusing. It's really confusing. I have high Ti, and high Te. So this part is not helping me. Sometimes I want to get to the point, but most other times, I don't care, and prefer to enjoy the ride, and that, I think, is what makes me a non-ENTJ. I always enjoy the ride, unless it's something unpleasant, or uninteresting. I tend to have higher Ne than Ni from what I can identify of Ni in my behavior/perception, but my Ne is low.

Ni (yes, just Ni), on paper, and from an external point of view, looks a lot like Ti-Ne. When Ni-Te and Ti-Ne arrive at the same conclusion, they take very different paths, opposite, in fact ; however, it doesn't always show until each reasoning gets fully extraverted/voiced.

Then, my Se is stronger in intensity, but lower, less frequent, than my ISTP friend's. He actively looks for Se activities, constantly, while I don't necessarily, it's not one of my priorities. However, I'll enjoy them, depending on the activities, as much as him, and be sometimes more efficient at them than him. But he looks for them and I don't.

How it translates in me being an INTP, is that both of my Ts are off the charts, I have around the same amount of Ne and Si and Se, and I basically turn into an xNTJ when under a lot of stress. It doesn't mean that it makes me do things, but that I can be more clear cut about some things. It means I'm less random than the majority of INTPs here, more literal. Sometimes I'll have Ni insights, things that just fall together and make sense, but that's once or twice a year or something. But the general mindset is one of an INTP. I relate all those diverging aspects, for myself, to likely being an Aspie. That fucks a lot of things up considering type.

I agree with your second paragraph, although I find that Ni is not obvious at all in practice. Sometimes, yes, but not all the time, and not that often.

@Octowave : Study the different functions. Try to identify, separately, what is your dominant function, auxiliary function, and inferior function. Each approach can get you there, or closer at least. You'll maybe find that type is not something that is obvious, but something you relate more or less to, and that, ultimately, you choose and are comfortable with. It's something that you see, but that not everyone will see in the same aspect. It can depend on the context, and on each person's experience and interpretation of any context. It can also not. It's not absolute.

I use types to be better at interacting with people. It doesn't always work, but overall, it has been helping me. I don't empathize very well with people at all, so having a system for "how to human" helps me a lot.

As for "how does Ti feel", for me it doesn't. It's what structures my mind. It's natural. It's hard to describe. It's like a machine, with a variable size, that puts things together, that smashes things to smithereens and then put them together, but also keeps them in smithereens at the same time so it can use those for other things.

One aspect of it, how I would visualize it, would be a sort of galaxy of concepts, where concepts are stars that are linked to each other, with more or less strength. I have described that more in depth in a thread about visualizing our minds, that I'm too lazy to dig for. However, that aspect is just a representation of a state, it's not one of how it functions.

·
Banned
6,724 Posts
great idea. do it.
"Want McDonald's?"

Do I want McDonald's? ::McDonald's-restaurant-fast food-Ray Croc-McDonald brothers-Golden Arches-hamburger-Big Mac-Happy Meal-Disney toys-H1B visa layoffs-Filet o' Fish-Friday Catholics-mackerel snappers-fries-value menu-franchise options-Burger King-White Castle-Wendy's-Ronald McDonald-Grimace-Mayor McCheese-creepiness-children's hospital-Artie Lange-McNuggets-sweet & sour-paper hats-quality vs quantity-Fuddruckers-Kobe beef-salads-superficial health awareness marketing ploy-dollar menu-McDouble-processed cheese food-salt-Japanese McDonald's burgers look picture perfect-teriyaki burgers-regional work ethics-chemical shakes-Shamrock shakes-McRibs-pink slime-Thousand Island dressing isn't a secret-horrible Sesame Street bus pun-advertising-drive thru window-paper bag of cash mistakes-limit of ten per customer-Are you going to make me come in there?-apple pie-What's in my wallet?-Capital One-get back on track-breakfast menu-What time is it?-minimum wage-spit-Hungry?-No pizza like options-coffee-three million dollar lawsuit::

"Sure, why not." (Timing of response may vary)

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I find it to be more of a sad truth than a funny truth, much like Personality Cafe itself.
See at first I thought you were going to say something positive and profound about religion, but now you are saying something derogatory. So far the Mike and Ike logic isn't really going anywhere here. If it is suppose to that is... "no subject".

21 - 40 of 117 Posts