Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listen to yourself think.
1. Do you have an inner voice ?

2. What does your mind voice sound like?

3. Do you think your mind voice is inherent to your mind, or do you think you developed your mind voice based on hearing your speaking voice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
6,418 Posts

I've heard that 90% of people have an inner dialogue. Then there's me in the other 10%. I just have inner impressions of sorts, or just thoughts that don't have clear concise words attached to them, or just kinda vague quiet words sometimes that my conscious self barely acknowledges.

But the thing is that there's the other outward part of me that verbally responds to those thoughts. If I'm by myself, I talk to myself and respond to my thoughts. Or if I'm with other people I will sometimes outwardly discuss my thoughts with them.

Also if I really need to brainstorm, I have to outwardly talk, mumble, or whisper to myself to make my train of thought clear, since I don't have an inner dialogue for the most part.

Questions 2 and 3 are therefore irrelevant and not applicable for me.

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've heard that 90% of people have an inner dialogue. Then there's me in the other 10%. I just have inner impressions of sorts, or just thoughts that don't have clear concise words attached to them, or just kinda vague quiet words sometimes that my conscious self barely acknowledges.

But the thing is that there's the other outward part of me that verbally responds to those thoughts. If I'm by myself, I talk to myself and respond to my thoughts. Or if I'm with other people I will sometimes outwardly discuss my thoughts with them.

Also if I really need to brainstorm, I have to outwardly talk, mumble, or whisper to myself to make my train of thought clear, since I don't have an inner dialogue for the most part.

Questions 2 and 3 are therefore irrelevant and not applicable for me.
That’s really interesting-

how do you recall visual images or music ?

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
6,418 Posts
That’s really interesting-

how do you recall visual images or music ?

I'm actually not that good at visualizing things. I think that ties into why I have a little difficulty sometimes comprehending what people are saying. My inner thoughts are kinda more like abstract impressions. Its actually difficult to describe in words.

Music I actually mostly only hear and enjoy when I'm actually listening to it. I don't play it over in my head much. But I will just remember loving what songs or music I love when I'm not listening to it. So I know what bands and artists I like from remembering the enjoyment I get from listening to it.

One reason for the way I think might be that I'm one of those people that relates more to touch and physical sensations in my body than I do to sight and sound. Its even the case that I notice more that my eyes feel better when I wear glasses more than I notice that they see better, which probably sounds really weird, but its true.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
It is a bit like mine, just somewhat more like Daffy Duck?

That is if I am thinking about something or reacting to something.

Otherwise it is floating impressions, quotes and earworms.

·
Registered
Phlegmatic Sub
24 Posts
1. I have an inner voice. When I'm not in a rush it's my main way of thinking. Just an eternal internal monologue. Blah Blah. But when I'm not conscious of it my train of thought is like idk, hard to describe but it's simply chaotic.

2. It's my own voice. It can be other people's voices but my own is easier.

3. Hard question. It probably developed from hearing my voice but I can't explain why.

·
Registered
ENTJ 8w7
2,299 Posts
Yes. It is present when I need it. What is eternally present is an inner "workspace" that is composed of whatever I currently need (inner monologue, inner visualizations, sounds, impressions, sensations, etc)

It is typically taken from other people and selected depending on my mood, chosen language, needs and attitude that I want to employ, as each voice has its own unique and valuable character I think.
So the way it sounds is extremely varied.

3. Do you think your mind voice is inherent to your mind, or do you think you developed your mind voice based on hearing your speaking voice?
Neither, voices were developed from multiple sources.

Quirky Turkey
600 Posts
1. Do you have an inner voice?
Yes.

It sounds like different people's voices and mine, too. It has different tones to represent different emotions or logical debates. It either sounds like fast or slow talking.

My mind's voices are inherent to me. I developed my mind's voices because of theatre, trying to imitate different singers' voices, and other things.

·
Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
6,418 Posts
Sometimes I do project what others are thinking, particularly my friends. But I've learned that 99.9% of that is just my own imagination being creative or whatever.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I have an inner voice when I am trying to articulate or rehearse something specific. It is not auditory in the traditional sense so there is no “sounds like.” I only hear voices in my mind as an auditory experience when undergoing recall, specifically imagining a voice (which can be molded as I choose), dreaming, or hallucinating. The verbal thinking developed along with a requirement for using verbal language to communicate.

… most dry answer ever, lol.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I can't remember not having an inner voice, I am usually almost always in dialogue with myself, I can also see images in low-res as in dreams and imagine music in the background.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,229 Posts

1.) I do, it's usually my traditional moral conscious though when I go against my Fi.

2.) He sounds just like me lol.

3.) I think my mind voice is built on my speaking voice. I've always been an amature actor and now podcastor, so I've heard my voice a ton in life and it's a pretty distinct youthful "entertainer's" voice so it gets integrated back within me.

·
Registered
ISFP
852 Posts
I have an inner voice, now that I am aware of. It sounds calm and speculative, maybe less calm when engaged, but not exactly like my real voice. I think of it as a critic, defender, guide, reporter, administrator and player. I don't know the answer for question n#3.

·
MotM 5/2015 | Bankslayer
13,387 Posts
1. Yes I definitely have one

2. I can't really explain it. It sounds different based on what language I'm thinking in, for English it's a little bit deeper than when I'm thinking in German or Swedish for some reason.

3. No idea, probably based on my speaking voice and not inherent to my mind, but how exactly it came into existence... 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
52 Posts
I do have an inner voice and it sounds just like me, although, I have an odd talent for mimicking people's regional accents and I quite often annunciate in my head in the accent im try to copy.

Its a really interesting point about how it developed, one of my team is profoundly deaf, so might ask him about it, as he's never heard his own voice!

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do have an inner voice and it sounds just like me, although, I have an odd talent for mimicking people's regional accents and I quite often annunciate in my head in the accent im try to copy.

Its a really interesting point about how it developed, one of my team is profoundly deaf, so might ask him about it, as he's never heard his own voice!
You should ask him ! And see his response - I’m very curious

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
ENxP
138 Posts
1) Kinda? I have an inner voice, but I don't often use it to think "to myself" or such very often. When I'm talking to others (whether through text or voice), I just can't use an inner voice for anything else, and don't really think to myself verbally at all. Honestly, I think of the sea of non-verbal impressions "under" that layer to be more my actual thought process than any inner voice I use.
2) I sound roughly like myself most of the time, but it's pretty unstable. My mind voice changes a lot depending on my mood and the people I'm around, but it usually still "averages out" to something like my actual speaking voice.
3) I highly doubt it's innate, given #2.

·
Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
6,418 Posts
My friend's wife who has a constant inner dialogue was recently really confused hearing that 10% of people don't have an inner dialogue. She was basically like "What, they don't think?" Lol

·
Registered
16,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My friend's wife who has a constant inner dialogue was recently really confused hearing that 10% of people don't have an inner dialogue. She was basically like "What, they don't think?" Lol
My inner voice never really shut up ( even in my dreams ) however I do know that people process their thoughts differently .

Out of curiosity- what are your dreams like or how do you recall memories?

·
Premium Member
ISFP 6w5 (694)
6,418 Posts
Out of curiosity- what are your dreams like or how do you recall memories?

Hmm... Idk how to answer this and sound like I'm actually saying something of substance. I mean things just happen in my dreams, and I recall memories by recalling memories? Idk what else to say. Sorry. Maybe if I think of a more interesting way to answer this I'll get back to you.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts