Personality Cafe banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's always fascinating to me to hear how other people view life and how each of us would prefer to spend our days,
so I wanted to ask you all this:

1) What are your goals/aspirations? Why?

2) Out of all of the things you could accomplish, what is the one thing that if you did would make
you think that you lived your life 'right' or that it was worth it?

3) What do you suppose the meaning of life is, or do you prefer to not think about it?

4) Are you content with the typical - go to school, get a job, get married, have children, retire and die - existence?

5) How do you wish to be remembered?

Thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts

I want to help and protect people I love.

2) Out of all of the things you could accomplish, what is the one thing that if you did would make

Honestly, there is no limit to what I want to do for the world.
Even if I did something big and grandiose, there are always other things I can help the humanity with lol

3) What do you suppose the meaning of life is, or do you prefer to not think about it?

I mean.. according science, reproduction.
According to ancient literature, self-improvement.
According to me, love and "life" is such as nature and population.

4) Are you content with the typical - go to school, get a job, get married, have children, retire and die - existence?

No! I refuse to follow the norms of society!
Just kidding,
first of all, I would prefer not to retire unless it's nessesary.
i don't have the choice to go to school or not, or get a job. That's just typical things that you must do to be respected in society.
Marriage scares me a bit, since I will have to settle down in one place and live there almost my whole life.. :| I guess it will change with time but I still want to see the world before settling down. But I will definetely do it.
And again, you have no choice to die or not. (see how I said "you"? Because i bathe in the blood of pure hearted virgins to remain forever youthful.)

As a helper, protector, friend and leader.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
1) What are your goals/aspirations?
A heart that weighs true on the balance

To do otherwise is death.

The capacity to speak without hesitation or distortion what is in my heart.

3) What do you suppose the meaning of life is
I don't know but it is very meaningful to me.

I'd like to think I could be content with that kind of life but it's not the life I'm living so I don't know.

As a man who was dead and who came to life.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good questions.

1. My goals and aspirations are to live a fulfilling life without regrets, An artistic and carefree life. I Think the biggest mistake on this side of the grave is denying your physical pleasures due to fear of being judged or any other trivial reason. I always hear old folks saying they regret not doing something rather than regret doing it, so i quit giving a fuck along time ago and do as i please disregarding consequences. My driving force in life is creating. If I don't create i feel like I don't have a place in this world, Manifesting my thoughts, emotions and abstract ideas into reality is my reason for living, experiencing all the the great pleasures of a corporeal body are just good side effects.

2. Ideally i would like to one day make major positive change in poverty stricken people's lives, providing them with essentials to live a good, happy life. Food, clean water, shelter, education, medicine. This is a grandiose suggestion, unless i become a millionaire I don't see this happening. So I'd like keep my aspirations, humbler and closer to home, I would love to adopt a child and give them everything they wished for. A sense of being apart of a family, and unconditional love above all. I know many people would also like to pursue the first option but i think the second option is more significant in a sense, That person will remember you till the day they die.

3. I think about it all the time. It's an ambiguous question with no correct answer. The meaning of life for me is to Live it to the fullest, and make Somebody's existence a little better. Drive your car until the wheels fall off but don't forget to look out your window and enjoy the beautiful scenery. Everybody ends up in the same destination driving different roads.

4. No. I would never be content with this life choice. I'd rather be broke, make art, and travel the world alone, and keep my sanity and happiness then conform to paradigm of the dominator culture. How people go into debt just to go to school and learn something they could have learned on their own, keep shitty unfulfilling, stagnant jobs, Marry people out of loneliness and poor choice, raise shitty ungrateful brats that aren't even theirs, retire and spend a few years at best waiting to die, wishing they could change their past is beyond me.

5. I don't. I want to peacefully fade away. Live a high profile, low key life and only hope there's something greater after death.

Reactions: raschel

·
Registered
173 Posts

To maybe make this world a better place. I grew up around misery and it's still the only thing I'm really able to see. It wasn't always my aspiration, but it's the only thing I really want to do.

I don't know. I don't think there's something that would make me feel like that for the rest of my life, but someone being thankful means the world to me.

To enjoy and learn. I feel like I found my meaning of life, but it's different for everyone.

Not at all. I kind of quit when I was 16 and had to take a difficult and unusual way. I think there are great benefits of being self-taught, but I wish I would have gone a more typical way.

Loving, caring, intelligent, ahead of his time? I don't know, honestly. I just wish to be remembered by my loved ones.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

To build a sustainable career while simultaneously developing my knowledge base that is all geared towards helping myself and by extension be able to help all those around me to the best of my abilities.

Why not. I have only one life to live I might as well make the best of the time that is given to me. If I can make the lives of others better as well then that is a treasure to be had.

Build said career to a point where I have delegated most work out and are predominantly concerned with research and development. Have a family(even though the thought of my own children scares the jeebus out of me).
Finish writing and publish the several books/ideas I started in my early teens.(Retirement goals I guess).

It is whatever meaning you choose to ascribe to it. If you choose to believe life is meaningless then have at it. Just don't expect others to bend to your will.

If you choose to think life isn't suffering and is all sunshine and daisies then try not to panic when the darkness shows itself because of your ignorance of it.

To me life has predominantly been a lot of emotional/psychological pain. Self inflicted as well as from outside environments. The meaning I've been able to extract from that existence is a life journey aimed at self healing and reducing as much of the pain as possible while simultaneously putting the rest of my energy into work that might benefit others.

Sure if that is what I end up with I can find some contentment. Though I would get bored after a bit if I am not intellectually and actively pursuing other interests as well. I have done the 8-6 grind and the shift based grind as well. A typical 9-5 ish doesn't agree with me, I prefer flexibility but also consistent routine work and varied interests to keep me going. The rest is agreeable to me.

As someone who mattered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Short(er) term: Get a Master's degree.
Long term: Travel more, do well in my career, write, find a place to call my own.

2) Out of all of the things you could accomplish, what is the one thing that if you did would make you think that you lived your life 'right' or that it was worth it?
I'm really not sure at this point. But it's something to think about.

I suspect it's a mix of caring about others and developing character.

No.

With a smile and a wave of nostalgia.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Find people to connect to, very vague but I'd like to help humanity, love myself.
If i don't connect to people I become depressed, I like humans so might as well help 'em, if you don't love yourself, you can't do anything right, because you'll always be one step ahead of yourself towards making your life worse.

If my child will tell me he loves me I think that would be a pretty good sign.

It's all about perfecting certain areas of your life (health, career, social life, etc...) and make other people feel good, with an emphesis on the second one.

The way I see it, it's not typical, your children will be unique of their own, you can marry a special person that will carry you to places of great happiness and pain, you can study at certain schools things that make you take an interest in living and meet other people who are interested in the same things you are, you need a job or you don't get money and you die. A typical in my eyes is: study something with money in it without caring if you actually like it, work for the goal of having money, eat, sleep, die.
I'm not content with the second but the first if you manage to achieve it is pretty amazing.

As that guy who made things better around here.

·
Registered
47 Posts

To always be happy. If an event should ever put in a situation where I am not, then it's time to figure out how I change that. I will not compromise with that very core value, because I don't think humans were meant to feel miserable. Everything else comes secondary, because without a stable foundation you are more prone to let obstacles block you from reaching your goals.

There are too my goals I wish to achieve to list, and I know I'll never accomplish them all, because life is ever changing and none of us can predict the future. You can try to plan out your life to the best of your ability, believe me I have a very clear vision of how I see my life currently unfold, but doesn't mean it will happen, there are simply too many variables to take into account and as such life can change in an instant. I'm loyally driven and when I choose someone or something to focus on, it's with the intention of it being an investment for life.

Superficial and materialistic elements have very little interest to me and in general I steer clear of temporary experiences, as they add little meaning. While we all need money in order to survive, it will never be my primary goal, whether I should have little or a lot, it won't influence the way I go about things. I rarely make impulsive decisions, everything usually needs to serve some kind of purpose and I feel being like that has served me well so far. That doesn't mean that I haven't made mistakes, heck I make mistakes all the time, I think we all do, but how we go about learning from them tells everything about who we are. As such constant improvement of myself is a must, so I can be a better person to everyone I may encounter and of course myself as well.

I love to share insight, rather than give advice, because I believe everyone should always make their own choice, and in most cases people do anyway so the concept of advice is somewhat irrelevant as people typically just ask for it in order to confirm what they already know or feel. Besides there isn't really a wrong or right way to go about doing anything, it's just a matter of perspective, and that is something which I feel is vital in order to understand others. You must be able to view everything from all possible perspectives, or you will end up a skewed opinion and view. That doesn't mean you have to like it or agree with what others think, feel or see, but you do have to accept that everyone is different and views things equally so. What is kind to one person may be hostile to another, and while that may seem illogical to some or most, it doesn't make it any less real to that person.

I don't believe one single thing would make me feel like life was right and worth it, it'll always be a combination of multiple things. My attitude towards life is fairly simple. Imagine yourself on your deathbed, actually even right now in this very moment, and ask yourself this very question? Do you feel that you have lived a life worth living? If your answer right now is "no", then you ought to consider everything you are doing, and what you can do to change that. I don't believe in regret, because I see everything as a learning experience, and it has all helped shape me into who I am today, and I like the person that I am. In addition to that I also wouldn't change anything, because I wouldn't of met the people whom I know or have in my life right now, and even if you are someone who has no one of importance but really want that, all of that can still change, but you have to make the effort to see it happen.

We should all ideally live a long life and happy life, and it's your responsibility to make it happen. Don't wait for others or things to occur to make it happen, you need to take action yourself. When you are on your deathbed you should be able to reflect back on your life and be able to tell yourself "This was indeed worth living" and perhaps you would do it all over again if you got the chance. While perhaps an awful thing to say, I would die happy today if I should not wake up tomorrow being alive. Naturally I don't want to die, but life happens and we should all be appreciative of every moment we are alive. Obviously not everyone feel that way, especially those who are suffering in one way or another currently.

I have never been a demanding person myself, and my expectations of others by default is zero, and as such disappointments in life are infrequent. No one will ever owe me anything, I do everything out of choice, just like I am writing here right now, which "potentially" may not be read by anyone, but in the event it is and that someone should even find it to be interesting or of use, then it's beyond what I could hope for. Humans tend to underestimate how much they may influence others, in both negative and positive ways. Any action you take will affect the world in one way or another, even if it is not instantly visible. Just think about how your own or the life of someone else would of been different if you had chosen to never interacted with them, or go out that one day where you spoke to someone, who if they hadn't spoken to you, could of been run over by a car, which you prevent that you have no idea of, since it never happened. Perhaps that's silly talk to some, but life is just a series of events, which can unfold in many different ways. If anything it has taught me not to underestimate myself or others, because we are all capable of creating something unique, whether it's a relationship or anything else.

It's entirely up to each individual to decide what the meaning of life is. If to one person that's eating all the different types of chocolate there is in the world, then who am I to tell him/her that he/she is wrong. It's simply a matter of perspective, and as such the meaning and what is meaningful is entirely different to each person. I believe there's probably more to life than the human mind is even capable of comprehending, but that's purely because of all the mysteries we have yet to solve, if we ever will. Finding acceptance that we won't get an answer to everything is a valuable lesson in life as well. Most of us can probably relate to the need for closure, but all to often is that something which is left unsatisfied. If you ask me what is meaningful to me, then it's creating comfort in the mind of others. I don't think I would be able to do that if it wasn't because my own is calm and at peace with whatever has happened and will happen, regardless of whatever it may be. I'm just a regular guy making my way through life and hopefully I manage to leave a positive impact on at least a few of those people I do encounter, be it online or in real life.

I have no issues with this formula, but I also know it will never apply to every individual and it doesn't apply to me either. We all learn things differently and we all want different things as well. Society has much to improve, especially in regards to the understanding and caring about others than just ourselves. Some selfishness is needed, but something like fellow human compassion is a rather wonderful gift in those who have been granted such.

I don't have a need to be remembered, I much prefer to remain hidden and be anonymous/unnoticed. Being the center of attention is not something I care about, whether in past/present/future, except when I am directly interacting with another individual. I hope to those who I meant something to will think of me fondly, and if they listened to what I said and took it to heart, then they would always know to live every bit of their life to the fullest. We all owe ourselves to do exactly that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I suppose I have several types of goals, which work in relation to one another, and contribute to the whole.

In no particular order:
health
fitness
intellectual
career
relationships
travel
mindfulness
stress/anxiety relief
enlightenment
meaning/purposefulness

Why? That's a more difficult question to answer. I don't think I could enjoy living a life without overarching purpose(s) and meaning(s).

Self-actualisation.

Self-actualisation. :D

Hell no.

No idea.

You're welcome. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts