Personality Cafe banner

What Drives You?

• Family. Providing for them and representing my heritage.

Votes: 14 6.8%
  • Friends (Some Family). Being my best for them.

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Faith. Life has meaning and purpose from God/higher power.

Votes: 36 17.6%
  • The World. Being altruistic and giving what I can to everyone I meet.

Votes: 29 14.1%
  • Myself. I live for me and enjoying all I can.

Votes: 54 26.3%
  • Nothing. I just go through the motions.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • I don't know. I'm searching but haven't found it.

Votes: 49 23.9%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If I'm being totally honest; myself. I want to be happy, as well as reach my potential. I want to make a difference in this world, but my reasons for wanting to make a difference are more selfish than they are selfless. I want to be loved, appreciated, and admired.

I want so many things, and all of them are primarily about me, even if they happen to benefit others/society as well. If something I desire is mutually beneficial that's great, but my sole reason for doing it is likely not for the sake of the other.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
I'm between the options of myself and I don't know. Similar to her ^

Personal development is my prime directive at all times, but not entirely selfish ambition, because the results benefit everyone (especially, my current and future patients). I'm not interested in moving forward in career, but instead absorbing all the information I can so I can apply it in the most efficient way. Money is irrelevant, as long as I can buy food and pay bills.

Self-expression is a selfish motivator and I spent a great deal of my spare time on it (painting). It's difficult for me to express myself clearly using verbal communication, so instead I paint my ideas and simultaneously process emotions in the form of paint (recurrent themes are the universe and death). I think in a way, I'm painting my life on canvases. I see an old painting and remember vividly in an instant the moment in my life, what was going on, what I felt, what thoughts circled on my mind.

Perhaps, there's a secret wish I'll leave pieces of my mind in this world after I'm gone. I don't mean any significant mark, a world-changing incident, but there's something incredibly satisfying about imagining a situation in which a person finds my painting (no matter where, it could happen in a dumping area) and having effect of them. If they decided to search the painter? Oh, I have to start writing "Introvertia" in small letters, hidden text in my paintings, so they can trace it back to my online dating profiles and PerC!

·
私を愛して
ESTJ; LSE; 3w4; Sp/Sx
14,683 Posts
I have no inherent drive for anything, I do what needs done to progress.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,251 Posts
I would say it's enjoyment of beauty that keeps me going, that motivates and inspires me. I do think that this ties into my belief in God and the beauty and goodness that the world is meant to reflect even if it's currently flawed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How Enneagram 7 would it be if I said the desire to explore? There's so much to see, to learn and to experience. I want to enjoy all I can, but I wouldn't say I live for myself. Family, friends, faith and causes all go toward making a full life.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd say all these options are pretty standard and represent stereotypes only. I can't do something just for myself or just for the greater good. I work to make money and to have a purpose; I work to also learn to have discipline and be something not just a leaf in the wind. I want to make money so that I can have the posibility to travel and see more of what this world has to offer. I read to be able to learn more and understand better what I'm in the middle of. It's not just for myself tho. It's so that I can be of use in the world.
Someone asked me once: why don't do you the same shitty job you have for more money? Because I don't want to always do shitty jobs; I want to evolve and be able to help others also be more. I can't be happy if I'm the only smart woman in the room. I want everyone to feel inspired and do and be more. So yeah I have many good reasons to drive be further in life but I'm sure we all have "bad" reasons as well. Out of revenge or something else. Lying to ourselves that we only want to be better won't do any good to anyone.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'd say all these options are pretty standard and represent stereotypes only. I can't do something just for myself or just for the greater good. I work to make money and to have a purpose; I work to also learn to have discipline and be something not just a leaf in the wind. I want to make money so that I can have the posibility to travel and see more of what this world has to offer. I read to be able to learn more and understand better what I'm in the middle of. It's not just for myself tho. It's so that I can be of use in the world.
Someone asked me once: why don't do you the same shitty job you have for more money? Because I don't want to always do shitty jobs; I want to evolve and be able to help others also be more. I can't be happy if I'm the only smart woman in the room. I want everyone to feel inspired and do and be more. So yeah I have many good reasons to drive be further in life but I'm sure we all have "bad" reasons as well. Out of revenge or something else. Lying to ourselves that we only want to be better won't do any good to anyone.
I'm trying to put you in a box and I demand you comply!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Nothing drives me, I have never once felt passionate about doing something, the only reasons I do things are either for survival or out of intellectual curiosity. I personally couldn't care less about my family, I've been an atheist all my life, and don't care at all about my own personal well being. My friends are the probably the one thing that I do somewhat care for in this world, but even then I have trouble making friends and most of my friends abandon me or betray me so it can be hard to trust anyone.

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
I have found that, for myself, intrinsic motivation is the most powerful. This doesn't mean that I can't do things for other people. It just means that when I do things for other people, it originates inside of me as "I want to be the sort of person who takes good care of my kids" (for example). Then, I do the things that I do to help the kids. Or, I might think "I want to be the sort of person who makes enough money to live comfortably" and then I find ways to earn money. It's all really about the kind of person I want to be, so my drive is always from myself.

·
Banned
16,307 Posts
Love and life

·
Registered
186 Posts
Cars.

Just kidding :p I think for me, it's making a change, or several, which is something I would really like to do.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Of these, family is the strongest factor for me. I care about representing them well and acting in a way that they would be proud of me. When I struggle, it is the knowledge that I stand on the shoulders of my antecedents that gives me strength.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,339 Posts
None of these. Curiosity. I want to see what happens next. To me, the world, and the people I care about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Family goes through life's obstacles together, always. Faith is important too, friends as well. There needs to be a balance of these three.

·
Birdie Borracho
9,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Such good answers that clearly don't want to be put in a box.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hope and altruism . Trying to be the best i can be for myself and others. The World can't get better unless we make an effort to make it better, and hope that others can learn through our example.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts