Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the seemingly endless cycle of getting up in the morning and going to sleep at night, what do you find in the time in between that gives your life meaning? Good times with friends or family, an intellectual pursuit or goal, the desire to leave your mark on the world, or maybe simply the hope to find that answer?

Does a life without purpose fill your mind with thoughts of fancy or shatter your world into a meaningless existence?
Just a curious question I suppose!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Love, that's the only thing that matters to me in the end.
In my younger days, before when I was convinced that romantic love did not exist, I wanted to leave a mark in this world. I thought "Just living normally like millions of other people and dying without doing crap? Hells no!" But now....
Social service? It's good, I would like to help people but I'm not arrogant, motivated nor nice enough to want to save the world. Success and money? They used to drive me, but after an extensive existentialist crisis I've had in my period of extreme depression, those lost all meaning. Search for truth? Knowing isn't everything, and I've come to learn that, sometimes, it's okay to be ignorant. Myself? To be honest, I don't like myself enough to be able to live a life for myself. :crazy:
Everything in the world became so...bland, meaningless, futile, and I got tired of working my ass off for things I don't even want. I felt repulsed by the notion of doing things the certain way because of other people's expectation of me: being able to pull off good grades doesn't mean I want to go become a lawyer. I have no ambition what so ever, as long as I can live moderately comfortably, I really don't care if I'm bagging groceries for the rest of my life.

tl;dr: Only thing that I know is I want to make people I love happy, and that is about the only thing that can get me off my cynical and nihilistic ass to do something.

Edit: Man, I would've laughed so hard at someone like my current self only 3 years ago...only wish to love and be loved? oh gawd, what have I become? lol.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When I was younger, I didn't have a thing to keep me going. I fell into existential depression, and stayed in that state for a little over a year.

Nowaday, I strive to be remembered... through any means possible.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The hope of companionship.
I want someone to share my life with and all that that entails.
My life is literally on hold until that time.

·
MOTM Nov 2009
4,132 Posts
To learn and to understand. I would very much enjoy being understood and respected by my peers, as well as enjoy a faithful love life and happy years, but this is not as important as my end goal. I do not care to be remembered by millions, thousands, or even just a few. My concern is to understand what I want to understand, do as I truly want to do, and be happy with that.

There are times when this can get me down, with the usual 'I don't want to die and leave nothing', but I usually think of the ripple effect; what ever I do, no matter if it's for me or anyone else, will influence some other person, and they in turn will influence someone else, and so on. That's a remarkable, but subtle effect. It doesn't have to be about being prominent or respected - it's about living.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
To love and be loved. Not necessarily romantically, but generally, as much as possible, especially to love and be loved by God. This should be reflected microcosmically in my relationships with others, especially in my relationship with my future husband. I desire to love all people, even my enemies, as perfectly as possible. I'm not doing very well at it, but at least there is constant progress and potential for growth.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
534 Posts
I often try to drive myself because someone driving me would be a Driving Miss Daisy *crickets* Okay nevermind. What drives me is to understand and learn about others. I people watch from time to time and often I notice the little things people do. From the body languages to their apperance it's interesting. To be able to understand more of how people actually tick then being able to use that to help them...that drives me.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honestly hope that one day i ll reach Camelot. I believe there exist such place where all are equals and love, justice, friendship and support are everywhere....i believe that trough my life i must prove myself worthy of entering that......that hope drive me trough life:happy:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I want to help people and be able to contribute something to the world. It'd be nice to leave something for people to remember me by too, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

·
Banned
700 Posts
Well, one primary driver for me is curiosity. I find a seemingly random and changing selection of things fascinating. When I get interested in something I like to learn more about it. Part of me thinks if I lost my curiosity it would be like losing my will to live; what's there to go on for if you're not interested in anything?

Also, of course, my wife and friends are hugely important.

Also, my sense of annoyance. I'm easily irritated by things/ideas/people/events that I think are senseless/stupid, and while for most people being irritated is a negative thing, for me I'm quite happy when I have something interesting to hate. Hence a tendency to watch Fox News, read right wing political articles and listen to bad music.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Honestly hope that one day i ll reach Camelot. I believe there exist such place where all are equals and love, justice, friendship and support are everywhere....i believe that trough my life i must prove myself worthy of entering that......that hope drive me trough life:happy:
It's called death and I assure you it doesn't discriminate. Not yet, at least.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Also, my sense of annoyance. I'm easily irritated by things/ideas/people/events that I think are senseless/stupid, and while for most people being irritated is a negative thing, for me I'm quite happy when I have something interesting to hate. Hence a tendency to watch Fox News, read right wing political articles and listen to bad music.
I find this fascinating. What do you feel during these times of hatred (besides happiness, of course)?

·
Registered
650 Posts

·
Banned
700 Posts
I find this fascinating. What do you feel during these times of hatred (besides happiness, of course)?
Well, it's complicated in a way. Having something to argue with/rail against/rant about helps me exercise my mind. You know, if someone makes some sort of offensive political statement, I want to think about it, analyse their argument, and show the flaws in it. It's not enough for me to disagree with someone. I have to satisfy myself that their argument is wrong, and that I can prove it. That process is enjoyable for me - interacting with a bunch of premises, identifying where the weaknesses are. I guess it's like mental gymnastics, and it's fun.

Also, it can lead to another favourite pastime (ranting). So I identify some popular (and crazy) viewpoint, with glaringly obvious flaws, and rant about how crazy it is that people accept this nonsense, and stating counterarguments. This also makes me happy; I like having something to hold forth about.

None of this entirely answers the question though..I feel irritated by the stupid argument, exhilirated/energised by the process of countering it, happy to have the capacity/ability to do that, amused by my own indignation at the uselessness of the people who believe the stupid thing (please note I don't think every opinion/view I disagree with is stupid, the stupid ones are a subset). Sometimes if the argument is offensive, I might feel kinda self-righteous. Happy at the whole process. Probably other things, situationally as well.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Honestly? I don't know for sure. Most of the time, I could care less about where I'm going or what I'm doing. When I was younger, my motivation was having lots of money, finding my "true love", starting a family, and living some sort of luxurious lifestyle.

I don't care about any of that anymore. I don't care if I'm well off, I don't care about finding a true love that doesn't exist, and I don't care about starting a family. Why? Because I'll have to work a sh!tty job that will make me miserable in order to make that kind of money. And starting a family just isn't right for me--not at this point in my life.

I guess at the end of the day, my main motivation is knowing that someday I will, somehow, be able to prove my mom and ex-best friend that I can amount to something in my life, and that I'm not a worthless piece of sh!t like they think I must be. Also, knowing that someday I will be completely happy in whatever I decide to do; knowing that everything that's going to make me happy will fall into place as it should.

What gets me up in the mornings? My family (grandparents, dad, uncle, brothers). Knowing that I've got to help one brother stop committing crimes and getting put in jail; that I've got another brother who will be 18 in three years, and I'll finally be able to see him face-to-face for the first time in twelve years.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It s not important is it called death or afterlife....what is important is faith that one day i ll be worthy....call it my vision of heaven

1 - 20 of 30 Posts