Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what gives you energy? i need some help for a moody lethargic istp.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
outdoor activities that are fun or anything new and exciting. Give archery a shot, was a blast and you dont have to have any equipment, just hit up the local archery range and if they have a wild track also then its a sweet deal.

Reactions: teabiscits

·
Banned
27 Posts
Any sort of physical activity or sport. Maybe a problem-solving game. Anything where I have to figure out a problem or gets me moving around freely usually gets me going.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
Something new that interests me. The archery sounds like a good idea
Same. Something I haven't done. I'm always craving new experiences.

Reactions: teabiscits and Tim7

·
Registered
247 Posts
archery is awesome. i tried it for the first time in Montana earlier this year and was surprisingly good right off the bat. I could shoot arrows at life-sized plastic animals all day long.

Unfortunately there's no archery range within 100 miles of where I live, so I'm S.O.L. I was thinking about building one in my back yard.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
what gives you energy? i need some help for a moody lethargic istp.
Oh crap, you couldn't stay away could you? Another one of your amazingly brilliant supposed ISTP questions?
Try a cup of coffee for Christ sake. And GTFO, and have a nice day.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
I know sometimes my responses to inquiries can be over simplified, but have you ever thought to wonder what is creating the low energy or lethargy? Maybe he is having to deal with some things right now that is leaving him exhausted and needing more down time than usual. By no means does this mean to pry into his personal business, but it may take some observing from a distance on your part.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I know sometimes my responses to inquiries can be over simplified, but have you ever thought to wonder what is creating the low energy or lethargy? May be he is having to deal with some things right now that is leaving him exhausted and needing more down time than usual. By no means this does not mean to pry into his personal business, but it may take some observing from a distance on your part.
Piggybacking on this...

I've noticed that most (if not all) people run on cycles. I have never met anyone that is 100% "themselves" 100% of the time. The most energetic, motivated people I've known have also experienced some of the lowest lows when they cycle downward. Those that are a bit more middle of the road when they're up, tend to not be quite as obvious when they're down.

I'm not talking about depression - just the rejuvenating process we all need to take for ourselves after periods of high stress, high activity, high motivation, etc.

I have short periods of being very sociable - they don't come often, and I usually regret it afterward, but something kicks up in me and I want to go out with friends *all the time* for a couple week period. What's unfortunate about that is, it's not my normal. So friends and acquaintances get excited, and think I'll always be like that. And I disappoint them by reverting back to my normal hermit place. But for me, I think the social stints are a bit of a wakeup call to my brain and body - I'm still human, I can still get hit on when I dress up, I'm still funny and charming. It's like fueling up, maybe.

Anyway - no fair expecting anyone to be the same level of social, motivated, etc all the time. We all have our own needs. Unless he's disappeared completely and letting his life go to pot, he's probably fine and just taking a much needed break from whatever it is he was doing that makes you think he now needs help getting energy back.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know sometimes my responses to inquiries can be over simplified, but have you ever thought to wonder what is creating the low energy or lethargy? Maybe he is having to deal with some things right now that is leaving him exhausted and needing more down time than usual. By no means does this mean to pry into his personal business, but it may take some observing from a distance on your part.
have i ever thought to wonder what is creating the low energy?

well i wouldn't be much of an enfp if i didn't stop to wonder that would i? i know exactly what is creating it, he was confused himself as to why he was so tired til i pointed out that he was depressed and he agreed. i know exactly why he is depressed too and i also know that he is making himself depressed needlessly. it's hard to see things clearly when depression sets in so i was thinking it might be a good idea to get him doing something fun and when he is energised he might be in a better position to look at his life more objectively.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Piggybacking on this...

I've noticed that most (if not all) people run on cycles. I have never met anyone that is 100% "themselves" 100% of the time. The most energetic, motivated people I've known have also experienced some of the lowest lows when they cycle downward. Those that are a bit more middle of the road when they're up, tend to not be quite as obvious when they're down.

I'm not talking about depression - just the rejuvenating process we all need to take for ourselves after periods of high stress, high activity, high motivation, etc.

I have short periods of being very sociable - they don't come often, and I usually regret it afterward, but something kicks up in me and I want to go out with friends *all the time* for a couple week period. What's unfortunate about that is, it's not my normal. So friends and acquaintances get excited, and think I'll always be like that. And I disappoint them by reverting back to my normal hermit place. But for me, I think the social stints are a bit of a wakeup call to my brain and body - I'm still human, I can still get hit on when I dress up, I'm still funny and charming. It's like fueling up, maybe.

Anyway - no fair expecting anyone to be the same level of social, motivated, etc all the time. We all have our own needs. Unless he's disappeared completely and letting his life go to pot, he's probably fine and just taking a much needed break from whatever it is he was doing that makes you think he now needs help getting energy back.
yes i know what you mean about cycles. he does the exact same thing.

·
Registered
247 Posts
^^funny thing about depression, though, sometimes the best intentions of friends backfires.

A friend of mine tried something similar for me recently, and I know he means well and thought that "having fun" would make everything better for me, but instead it made me feel worse. I didn't enjoy myself, I felt guilty that I couldn't put on a happy face for him (that I was letting him down), and I've basically avoided him since.

But if your friend has demonstrated an interest in finding something enjoyable and high-energy to do, go for it.

In case you don't already know this - funks, low periods, and depression all take time to get through. I've yet to know anyone that was "pulled out" from depression by going to the batting cages or taking up a new hobby. So I hope your plan works, but try not to make him feel responsible for your success/failure in elevating his mood... if that makes sense.

·
Banned
891 Posts
Moody and larthargic usually means "leave me alone for an entire day."

yeah that's what it usually means for me too, stay away, stay very very far away.

you actually wrote a really interesting blog about this. it was what gave me the idea to try to snap him out of it and ask what other things would give an istp energy.

outdoor activities that are fun or anything new and exciting. Give archery a shot, was a blast and you dont have to have any equipment, just hit up the local archery range and if they have a wild track also then its a sweet deal.
that sounds cool. i might look into that. tell him i'm bringing him somewhere but it's a surprise where. he'd never guess archery in a million years. he'd love it i'd say.

Oh crap, you couldn't stay away could you? Another one of your amazingly brilliant supposed ISTP questions?
Try a cup of coffee for Christ sake. And GTFO, and have a nice day.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
yeah we're both pretty fucked up. i'm not going to abandon him just because he got a shitty start in life. point taken and acknowledged.
Maybe you could get your boyfriend to sign up and participate here at ISTP land. If he is the real deal we'll welcome him with open arms. It would be refreshing to hear what a real ISTPs has to say, instead of via your surreptitious and highly suspicious proxy.
And have a nice day.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.