Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why you need one and on top of that you only get to pick between 2 of them to have as a wing. 5 I relate to pretty well but 4 and 6? I can't even pick cause they're some of my weakest ones aside from 1 and 2. Also it conflicts with tritype (which I also don't know why exists) People will come out with the same enneagram type 2 times in their tritype. Isn't that kind of redundant to have 7w8 and 8w7 or whatever in your tritype? Like what? You have enneagram 7 and 8 fears and motivations to the power of 2? Like what even.....idk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey pikup (brainer) 7w8 does not mean having both 7 and 8 both fears and motivations. 8w7 are expanding powerhouses and 8w9 are strong guardians for example.

It's just a +. I like wings but yeah

·
Registered
87 Posts
The enneagram types are situated on a circle. And while we all have a core type, we can be closer to either of our wing. It doesn't mean you have the core motivation of your wing, more that you can punctually use this other type's strategy. But even if they might not seem so, at the core, even with a strong wing, a 7w6 will always be closer to a 7w8 than a 8w7.

Also, according to Naranjo, each type is a mix of both of its wings. For 5 it's originality (4) and security (6) -> independence/avarice. 5 is idiosyncratic, which is close to 4, but in the same time it is more oriented toward security, which comes from 6 influence. And to take an other example, 1 can be see as the mix of 9's repression of anger and 2's pride.
So there is a coherence in this theory actually.

And I don't think it contradicts tritypes, as both are often mixed. It's just that according to the tritype theory, you have 3 points on the circle (one on each center) instead of having only one (even if there is a main one). Some of the points can be very close, if someone have a 7w8 and a 8w7 fix for example, but it still works. It just means that these type will have a strong and visible influence on the personality, a little like it's supposed to work in astral themes. In this kind of configuration, the person can be hard to type though.

When the wing is hard to identify, I guess it can mean that it's actually weak. And I'd say you have to look at the core motivations of both wing types rather than their usual attitude. Because even if a type can look like a mix of its wings... in the same time, paradoxically, it also looks like the opposite of them. Like 5 being unemotional compared to dramatic 4, and detached compared to over-reactive 6.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Also, according to Naranjo, each type is a mix of both of its wings. For 5 it's originality (4) and security (6) -> independence/avarice. 5 is idiosyncratic, which is close to 4, but in the same time it is more oriented toward security, which comes from 6 influence.
Ah, I'd forgotten where that came from! It'd come up in a recent thread but I found myself having to piece it together again. And this does explain why people should be able to identify the wings even if they don't show up on the tests.

I have wondered about whether tritypes should include the XwY-YwX form as often as claimed, since the types are from separate centres. Still, I think an alternative wing would be too faint to matter; the core type would suffocate it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
In some respects, the circle offers a continuum of the points. The points have been and always will be the basis from which we draw conclusions, since the lines need to fit neatly sooner or later; the wings simply offer further explanation why some people blur into the not-so-neat areas away from the root of an Etype.

Aside, adjacent types (or possible wings) are also useful for just finding a type. For example, let's say I was having a problem identifying my own type, since admittedly I'm sorta Nine-ish. There's no way I could reconcile 8 and 1 as close company. That is just far too foreign for me to get with. 5 and 3? Ah ha ha, now we're talking. I'm vain as hell and enjoy mastering ideas/concepts while doing me*.

*But it begs the question, what would "doing me" even accomplish, when another part of me accepts that it's ultimately meaningless? A brief foray into my own dark sides, and "adjacent/wing" related fodder. See how that works? :)

·
Heretic
5w4 9w8 2w1 Sx/Sp INTJ ESI
10,834 Posts
The wings (and tritype) as advanced concepts only make sense when the basics have been mastered.
One needs to understand what the types are to get how they link together in theory.

Understanding can't be given, it must be found by the individual, sometimes explainations help though.

A comprehensive explaination of wings is not something I'd like to embark on tonight.
I'm unsure if I even bother to do it tomorrow or on sunday.

So go read Timeless articles, and then some Freud.
If you still have problems PM me and I might indulge you.

Reactions: Aluminum Frost

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
A couple of other people have already mentioned the theory that each type is the midpoint between its wings. Ginger Lapid-Bogda explains it here. Sandra Maitri explains the same idea, and you can find her explanation, among other things from her book, in this thread and the threads it links to.

If the midpoint theory works, we can look at the circle as a continuum, like @Lady Golden and @Full_fathom_4 said. If you are a 5, you might be right in the centre of the 5 space, or you might be slightly towards the 4 or 6 side of 5.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.