Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To every "thing", there is its' polar opposite.

To every action, there is an equal reaction.

Now for the standard NT, the typical response would be NF/SF. But this is not the case. NF/SF's have their own world, NT's have their own world.

Speaking from an NT standpoint, to us, we created a category through observation for something called "Magical Thinking" in which most NF/SF's follow. To an NT, witnessing "Magical Thinking" is quite an absurd experience but it exists.

Consider the following article: Magical Thinking | Psychology Today

Let us focus on section 4) Rituals bring good luck. Regardless of any religion, there exist rituals in which believers would practice in hopes bringing good luck to the community. To an NT, we observe the practice to be crazy especially if sacrifices are involved. The science doesn't add up, but to the religious people, the faith matters.

Now there are two sides to every coin. What I'm curious to know is how other types views the INTP.

What do the outside people view as crazy about the INTP. i.e. this time the outside people play the observers, the INTP's the interacted test subjects.

For example:

NT: How can you believe in this/that?

NF/SF: How can you NOT believe in this/that?

NT/NF/SF: *silence* (no definitive answer)

Not to purposefully exclude ST's, but I have very little exposure to ST-types to make some up some assessment to use as an example for the sake of this topic.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ritual can be incredibly powerful in influencing the psyche, I don't see how it's crazy to take advantage of a little unfounded pattern recognition. >,>

It's quite a thought of magic to believe NTs are immune to magical thinking when they probably invented it.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's quite a thought of magic to believe NTs are immune to magical thinking when they probably invented it.

As a means of crowd control? Hmm... I never thought of it that way. This offers me such a new perspective... Thank you.

Also, I'm not saying NT's are immune to magical thinking, however, NT's usually seek the underlying truth to things (if there exist any) before accepting anything final as recognized fact.

For example, in the field of science, there has been substantial changes and rewrites with how we understand science... consider the ancient times when certain societies believe there were only 4 primary elements (earth, wind, fire, water) ... fast forward to medieval times, science evolved to alchemy ... fast forward to late 1800's, the period table changed science... fast forward to modern day, we get string theory...

With each newfound element, particle, series of equations, etc, each new layer of science either adds on top or rewrites previous understandings of science. Meanwhile, older generations were taught one way, when the newer generations are taught the new way. It makes this gap in understanding fundamentally different in terms of communication / miscommunication. Older generation view the newer generation as inexperienced or nuts... younger generation view the older generation as crazy and obsolete as no one does it that way anymore.

Such is the cycle.

·
Registered
520 Posts
@qingdom

Sure, but one can use current scientific understanding to fit some forms of magical thinking into the mix. Such as, thalamus > basal ganglia > dopamine > cortical stimulation > increased synaptic firing > add another person with same intent > quantum entanglement > tunneling of information > promotes cortical stimulation > dopamine > thalamus > etc. Meaning, a misconception of current physics could be used by an NT to justify some form of magical thinking. >,>;

Meaning, an NT can use thinking to justify cognitive dissonance between truths of old and new.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Crazy side of INTP? Living in your heads.

Everyone experiences existential questions and has deep thoughts at times. But, it has no value if it never exists with a goal outside your heads. If you spend lots of time thinking, but never DO anything with it, what is the point? It's nonsensical to me. To invest so much time into something you have no practical use or plan for. Doesn't it just seem empty and meaningless to you?

If you spend lots of time thinking but make use of these deep thoughts, that doesn't seem crazy. But living in your head is as crazy to me as rabbit feet for good luck and religion.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Just as an aside to that article (which I found really interesting) -- there's research to support the notion that our brains are highly restrained in terms of activity, and that psychedelic drugs essentially "throw open the gates" and release many of the controls that keep you from thinking every darn thing is magically connected. This is why, it is thought, people on LSD will be fascinated by the supposed interconnectedness of the universe and the oness of their hands with this tree over here and with the water in their faucet and with the sky above... and on and on. It makes sense why a very strong filter on this would be useful -- A prehistoric man that sat in awe and wonder all the time about how wonderfully and spiritually one he felt with the universe wouldn't do too well against his more level-headed, less fascinated brethren. The brain has an astonishing propensity to try to make mental connections between all kinds of things, and the sort of magical thinking that we all act on, consciously or not, is just a symptom of that.

My personal experience is that though I consciously reject magical thinking whenever I find it, it certainly affects my behavior, especially with little rituals that I don't even notice. My problem is mostly when people think you should accept these trains of thought and take them seriously. Sorry, I'm a dismissive person, I can't help but think half of the things I hear are stupid. It's hard-wired or something.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily make any generalizations about all NT's... my INTJ friend is quite the magical thinker. Lead intuition does things to you, man.

Reactions: qingdom
1 - 6 of 6 Posts