Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have trying to figure it out on my head for a while now.

Genes?
Environment?
People around us?
Interactions?
Particular incidents?

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm a big fan of epigenetics. So, I'm going to say that.

·
Banned
39 Posts

Genes?
Environment?
People around us?
Interactions?
Particular incidents?
It is a combination.

From what I have read in recent studies parents play a very small role. As always people exaggerate their own role.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Positive and negative reinforcement throughout life from parents, siblings, relatives, friends, members of the opposite sex, teachers, experience withdrawing vs being drawn out, taking a risk vs playing it safe, etc.

Mostly nurture and experience (70%), and some nature and genes (30%) in my opinion. (Percentages are 100% arbitrary.)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
My observations of different children in the same family strongly suggest genetics is the primary factor in personalty traits and they are often displayed at a very early age. For example my daughters best friend is IXTX much like her father while the younger sister is very extroverted and outgoing like the mother. My daughter is INPT and my wife is ENXP. Upbringing has more effect on a persons believe system and convictions but I think it has more influence on SF types. My own standards and convictions come more from within than from my upbringing or the environment and culture of my childhood.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Genes + Environment + Society + Family. Everything. Abstract and concrete both.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Warfare on my part, isolation, and fear.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts

Genes?
Environment?
People around us?
Interactions?
Particular incidents?
All of these :) I think it's more of a dynamic where our natural (gene-dependent) behavior gets shaped by constant feedback from the environment (aka operant conditioning).

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
From experience, I would say a childhood which promoted lots of free thinking, independence, and self reliance. As intelligence grows at a young age, you become less able to connect with those around you (generally you start off extroverted), and by getting pushed away by classmates, you develop introversion. At least, that is how my development went.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I don't know if any of my family members are introverted... so I'm not entirely sure if genes would come into it. But I know a lot of the traits that I inherited could be interpreted in a variety of ways depending on the personality that tempers them. It really is a combination, though. No one thing on that list could do it for anyone - unless you were raised in a lab and only exposed to ONE of those things ... which would be impossible because then you'd have at least three of those things without even trying!! (The scientists, your genes, and your environment .... yea, went off on a tangent with that one, sorry~).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think 80% genetics at least, heres why true story....

I was showing very strong ENTP traits from an early age, arguing everything, constantly asking why? Generally being a pain in the ass. Instead of playing with dolls I was more happy pulling things apart to see how they worked and climbing trees with the boys. I also developed a really strong interest in physics and anything science based. As far back as I can remember the pull towards these subjects was so strong I can only describe it as instinct. Neither of my parents had an interest in maths or physics so it wasn't due to nurture (although the love of debate definitely came from my father).

Anyway I never knew my grandfather on my dads side because he died before I was born and he was never really discussed until recently but it turns out I took after him. He had won awards in maths. Not only that when I did my family tree...... unbelievable!!! Certain traits run like lightning which can only be explained through a genetic predisposition. As quite a few are well known within there field so was easy to find out about the kind of person they were and all seem to have strong leanings towards ENTP traits.

Here is a sample of just some of my relatives.....

Source - Clan Anderson

"Alexander Anderson was acclaimed as a brilliant mathematician in Europe when he published his works on geometry and algebra in Paris between 1612 and 1619. His cousin David Anderson of Finshaugh also had a fine mathematical brain and was known locally as "Davie-do-a'-things"; his best known achievement was to devise a method of removing a large rock which had been blocking the entrance to Aberdeen harbour. The family talent was passed on to a grandson, James Gregory, the inventor of the Reflecting Telescope. A later generation included James Anderson (1739-1808 ); his article on monsoons, for the first edition of the "Encyclopaedia Britannica" predicted, with remarkable accuracy, discoveries made by Captain Cook before he had returned from his expedition to announce them!"

No doubt in my mind that genetics forms THE major factor in predisposition of temperament and raw ability. Environment, the People around us, Interactions, and Particular incidents only serve to nurture what we already have and the opportunities at our disposal. Also developing into healthy or unhealthy version of our type is probably due to the latter also.

As for me I never did become a famous physicist or mathematician life took me in another direction.....I work in marketing for a drinks company now. I get to use me inventive / creative / problem solving side and be around people in a fun environment but the thirst for knowledge on certain science subjects is still as strong as ever.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I always played alone exploring the yard of my house ever since i was little. There was always something new to discover from the same yard. I always had something to wonder about, probably because I didn't have any play mates. When the first time a neighbor with a kid around my age (around age 4-5?) it was really awkward if we weren't busy doing something. Silence with company was awkward. Initimacy was awkward. So, I guess that's when I first developed introversion. So I entered elementary school very awkward. I was not a "good seed". I always asked the teacher "why?" which always got them very, very angry. I remember when we had fake currency to handle as reward for doing well in class. We could buy snacks with them. The teacher wanted us to write down our exchanged: 50 cents for a bag of chips. I didn't see the point so I kept pressing on and asking, "why" because I thought since I was personally handing in the mony there didn't need to be any sort of proof that I actually have the money since I was hading the money to her personally. (though yes there was a point in it). So my awkwardness in elementary school lead to me being quiet in middle school, where without a play mate, i started wondering about many many things to keep myself from being bored. I tried to figure out things and came up with very big questions. I felt pride in the discoveries I made by myself. That pride lead me to want to do things my own way. Instructions sometimes offended me. (which i think is one of the trademarks of intp's). Math was an easy subject for me. There you have it O_O

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Social trauma plays a factor! Seriously! There has had to be at least one moment in time where you raised an eyebrow looking / witnessing how society / the world / people behave and you'd go.. how the hell is this even logical? and there's a 65% whatever you witnessed was shoved under the carpet or turned a blind eye upon due to whatever else that attributes the 'wrongness' of things going around.

The accruing of these events would eventually make you doubt how your actions and responses would be accepted to the world. On one hand, you may think of the plethora of possibilities / probabilities how things would play out. On the other hand, you may choose to back out and not carry through commencing with whatever you were thinking about due to not wanting to deal with the consequences and/or drama that may ensue.

Henceforth, Introverted Intuitiveness carries on with Perception through Thinking.

Misunderstood as always.... and then awkward silence doesn't help anyone at all... As a result, INTP's love to snarl at the world for getting to close.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@qingdom Most of the time I think I'm the only sane person I know. I have a raised eyebrow looking / witnessing how society / the world / people behave all the time. How irrational and illogical most people are astounds me every single day.

We all have a natural genetic predisposition in the way we deal with trauma, problems, life etc. I believe our basic coping mechanisms are set from birth. My sister and I have been brought up in the same environment same values except we have completely different coping mechanisms and outlook. My parents could see how different we were personality wise from being a babies. I'm a natural optimist and outgoing while my older sister is the complete opposite. My sisters natural introversion has shaped her life choices and my extaversion has shaped mine and in turn how people react to us. However that predisposition was 100% set from birth. The same trauma could happen to both of us but our reaction and perspective would be completely different.

Psychologists find gene that helps you look on the bright side of life | Science | guardian.co.uk

There is also something called brain plasticity, which states just by repetitively using one part of the brain or thinking a certain way causes your brain to make permanent changes.

Brain Plasticity, Cognition & Neurogenesis

Also predisposition for mental illness and personality disorders is also largely based on genetics but the trigger may be environmental or trauma. All the basic personality traits are there from birth, its how they develop that's due to nurture and environmental factors.

Reactions: qingdom
1 - 17 of 17 Posts