Personality Cafe banner

What field of law would you ideally practice if you had to choose?

• Civil Litigation

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Criminal Law

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Intellectual Property Law

• International Law

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Law and Health Sciences

• Social Justice Lawyering

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Taxation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just had a random thought. If you were put in my position, what field of law would YOU practice?

My school offers these concentrations:

Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Criminal Law Practice and Theory
Intellectual Property Law
International Law
Law and Health Sciences
Social Justice Lawyering
Taxation

I was initially somewhat interested in tax, but IP suddenly got my attention. I'm a bit too "nice" to be a litigation type of lawyer, so I've figured that transactional/negotiations would be the path to go in this field. I'm probably going to take a few courses, extern for a judge that specializes in this field, and figure out eventually by 3rd year just what it is I'd like to do. The plain, bare truth is FEW law students end up practicing the very field they thought they wanted to get into as first years.

Oh, and please keep the lawyer jokes civil and limited.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IP Law, with an emphasis on patent law. To me it would be interesting to see all the crazy shit that people propose for a patent. All the paperwork involved in essentially saying, "UR IDEA SUKS LOL" sounds like my kind of deal as well.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Hello all,

Just had a random thought. If you were put in my position, what field of law would YOU practice?

My school offers these concentrations:

Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution
Criminal Law Practice and Theory
Intellectual Property Law
International Law
Law and Health Sciences
Social Justice Lawyering
Taxation

I was initially somewhat interested in tax, but IP suddenly got my attention. I'm a bit too "nice" to be a litigation type of lawyer, so I've figured that transactional/negotiations would be the path to go in this field. I'm probably going to take a few courses, extern for a judge that specializes in this field, and figure out eventually by 3rd year just what it is I'd like to do. The plain, bare truth is FEW law students end up practicing the very field they thought they wanted to get into as first years.

Oh, and please keep the lawyer jokes civil and limited.
IP is the smart choice, that's where the money's at (or so friends have been bragging to me who chose the major!). Combine it with an expertise on Patent Law like Vector mentioned, and I hear it pretty much gets you anywhere you want.

Some of my professors have been trying to get me to take up International Law, but I'm steering clear of what I know to be as boring as hell. Personally I'm thinking about going for Criminal Law. Criminal Law Theory is one difficult bastard, but its formulaic, 'mathematical' aspect is attractive to me. I'm especially interested in crime policies and prevention, that's what I want to do for the rest of my life.

Oh, and...
Q: What's the problem with lawyer jokes?
A: Lawyers don't think they're funny, and no one else thinks they're jokes.

Sorry, couldn't resist. *g*

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the best market right now, but I'm told things are improving steadily though slowly.

I'm going to an event where a few IP lawyers should be showing up to hang out with us. I'm going to have to practice my social skills and maybe even come with a short list of my own questions to keep the convos rolling. :laughing:

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
I wouldn't really want to study any law....especially criminal law. I would get too pissed off if I actually worked in the field because criminals usually never get what they deserve. I picked Law & Health Science just because it sounds nicer. :laughing:
That's why you should be a prosecuting attorney rather than a defense attorney. :laughing:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Since i took law classes for the paralegal degree, each field of law has its points that you have to be aware of.
I took a class in IP and it is interesting to see what goes on in developing products, tradmarks and copyrights, yet there are alot of details to cover in that. There are many other areas of law. Yet as several of my teachers who were lawyers would say you need to have a certain personality to deal with certain areas of law ( like family law that wasnt mentioned).

Reactions: Rhee, Sela and niss

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
My Business Law class was about as enjoyable as eating nails, but it was necessary.
At least it wasn't as bad as Accounting.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't really want to study any law....especially criminal law. I would get too pissed off if I actually worked in the field because criminals usually never get what they deserve. I picked Law & Health Science just because it sounds nicer. :laughing:
From what little I know, you'd be either

(1) A scholar writing treatises, doing legal research, etc

or

(2) Suing doctors and getting paid by whineers

or

(3) Defending doctors against whiners

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why you should be a prosecuting attorney rather than a defense attorney. :laughing:
The problem there is it's often assumed that if you're there on that bench standing accused for a crime, then you're guilty.

Big problem. We all know of at least one person in our life who was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hypo: Say you're with some friends and friends' friends picking up beer at 7/11. One of your friends comes out with 3 6-packs of beer, but you learn later were all stolen.

What do you do when you're labeled for accomplice liability?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since i took law classes for the paralegal degree, each field of law has its points that you have to be aware of.
I took a class in IP and it is interesting to see what goes on in developing products, tradmarks and copyrights, yet there are alot of details to cover in that. There are many other areas of law. Yet as several of my teachers who were lawyers would say you need to have a certain personality to deal with certain areas of law ( like family law that wasnt mentioned).
Not offered. Not that I'd go into that field. I couldn't stand the drama. I'm a mellow guy and I don't like heavy confrontation, hence the reason I'm avoiding litigation.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Purdy is an ISFJ. My ex is an ESFJ and was a criminal prosecutor and HATED his life because of it. He was a miserable man because in his own words would say "I HATE what I do". It wasn't fun to date someone like that either, especially when things went to trial. But I served as his nice shiny bright singing object that took his mind off the filth he had to be around every day.

Reactions: Rhee, Sela and niss

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The problem there is it's often assumed that if you're there on that bench standing accused for a crime, then you're guilty.

Big problem. We all know of at least one person in our life who was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Hypo: Say you're with some friends and friends' friends picking up beer at 7/11. One of your friends comes out with 3 6-packs of beer, but you learn later were all stolen.

What do you do when you're labeled for accomplice liability?

... Plead ignorance? :cool:

On a serious note, you just touched upon the reason why Criminal Law has a place in my heart. Its very premise is that potentially anyone could find him/herself suddenly being accused of a crime, and it goes on to serve as the guilty man's Magna Carta ('innocent until proven guilty' etc.) - but of course you'd know that.

In theory at least, it's supposed to protect the rights of the accused as well as the victims, and dole out to actual criminals punishment that corresponds exactly to the scope of their crimes. I think it's the most humanitarian law there is, and I do really believe in its ideals.

I know things don't always work that way in real life, but I don't want to become one of those jaded lawyers who lose their faith in the justice system, or the goodness in mankind. It's probably the idealist in me talking, but if more people remained true to the principles of law, they'd spot out the wrongfully accused more easily. We as individuals should make the justice system more fail-proof, IMO.

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Personally i would pratice Constitutional law or International law.

Reactions: Qadosh and niss
1 - 19 of 19 Posts