Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've thought about majoring in Psychology, Computer Programming, almost any kind of Science, Philosophy, or Education.

I'm in college now and am currently on track to getting into the Psychology program, but I keep wondering if that's the right choice. I love the field, but I would have zero patience or compassion for someone who is seeing me because she has "typical teen issues". Seriously, if I got a call that someone was depressed because her mom took her phone away, I'd probably hang up. I want to work in a psych ward: schizophrenia, bi polar, borderline, dissociative identity, sociopaths, things like that. I want to learn to understand these distorted ways of thinking, I find it fascinating. I have no time for common people and their petty problems.

Is it worth it for an INTP to become a therapist/psychologist? What field of study would you say is best for an INTP?

I know there's a similar topic a few threads down but I felt this one was different enough to make a new topic about it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What? We're all INTPs here but we're all different. There is no "best" field of study. That is purely an individualistic decision.

It sounds like you know what you want, just go get it. Don't concern yourself with other occupations in your field that you do not want to go into.

Are you concerned that you won't be able to get a job doing exactly what you want to do and will end up being a therapist treating "common people" (whatever that means)?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
You do realize you can be a researcher, right? From my perspective only the mediocre psychologists (or the few ones that are really really compassionate or something) are the ones that hear about said problematic depression..

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
I myself studied pharmacy, biomedical engineering, worked as game designer, programmer, tester. I took courses on photography, graphics etc.
Some INTP's tend to be jacks of all trade.
"Theoretically" INTPs would find good refuge in philosophy. But this is true, many NT types tend to be "jacks of all trades". No one is really limited to one thing.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
There is no best field. It just depends on your personality. I myself love psychology and sociology. It's what I'm majoring. If I had been presented with the opportunity to major in motion graphics I would have chosen that, but in this reality I do not regret my decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No one is going to hand me success. I must go out & get it myself. That’s why I’m here. To dominate. To conquer. Both the world, and myself

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I'd say philosophy. Or, maybe physics if the INTP in question is more scientifically inclined. Personally, I prefer biology (especially animal behavior), but I've noticed most INTs (especially males) prefer inorganic sciences.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I am studying to be a physicist. all intps are different people with different interests.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you're not lazy, you could do law.
British law though/commonwealth, no idea about US law.

Reactions: Theobruh

·
Registered
105 Posts
My father and I, both INTPs, do have overlapping interests in creative writing, philosophy, and history, but I wouldn't dare bring up "sissy social sciences" with him (his words, not mine!): that entire set of passions of mine drives him up the wall. Similarly, while my dad could talk physics and chemistry all day, I'd find myself bored to tears ten minutes into a discussion on them.

Do what satisfies you. Psychology can work well for Ti users, but so can mathematics. It depends on the individual.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you're not lazy, you could do law.
British law though/commonwealth, no idea about US law.
I'm studying English with a law focus right now. Law is a lot of fun because it requires studying philosophy, crime, writing, logic, and other exciting things :)

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
I'd say philosophy. Or, maybe physics if the INTP in question is more scientifically inclined. Personally, I prefer biology (especially animal behavior), but I've noticed most INTs (especially males) prefer inorganic sciences.
Which sciences are inorganic?

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
What field of study would you say is best for an INTP?
Everything you are interested in. You'll never stop wanting to learn something new, regardless of what you choose. In terms of careers however, I will suggest that after all the jobs I've had, I have concluded that the best jobs are those where you: solve problems, have little to no responsibility, are paid well enough that you don't have to think about money, and have plenty of free time to pursue your personal interests.

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Please list any and all jobs that would satisfy this criteria
Pretty much any experienced-level IT position that is not consulting or management. If you do your job right, you should rarely have to do your job... meaning there's no unexpected systems disruptions, programs are functioning correctly, etc., so there should really be nothing for you to work on. Unless there's a project going on that you're working on, which can be engaging. Companies pay to keep people in these positions for the same reason people buy insurance-- it's when something goes wrong that the money becomes worth it. And when there is something to do, it gives you something to throw your brain at for a while. When you're done, you go back to browsing reddit, learning Esperanto, or whatever other random interest has captured your attention.

·
Registered
LSI 5w4 5-9-4
2,374 Posts
Pretty much any experienced-level IT position that is not consulting or management. If you do your job right, you should rarely have to do your job... meaning there's no unexpected systems disruptions, programs are functioning correctly, etc., so there should really be nothing for you to work on. Unless there's a project going on that you're working on, which can be engaging. Companies pay to keep people in these positions for the same reason people buy insurance-- it's when something goes wrong that the money becomes worth it. And when there is something to do, it gives you something to throw your brain at for a while. When you're done, you go back to browsing reddit, learning Esperanto, or whatever other random interest has captured your attention.
Now I just need to get an "experienced-level IT position" from scratch... Not sure where to start, but I'm not in a big hurry anyway.

Any other jobs you can think of?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts