Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ability or the enjoyment of interpretating dreams. Not in a superstitious way but more like trying to decode the dream as to what the subconcious is really saying in a realistic sense?

What function would attempt to solve this?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Haha. That would be curiosity.

Honestly, I think different functions would simply go about it in different ways. ^_^ I do know that I really like attempting to decode dreams, or at least remember them and write them down. Ponder them for a bit. I doubt that has to do with the fact that I'm an ENFP.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
finding the hidden meanings behind dreams would be Ne. I tend to take my dreams literally. I don't believe in the symbolism Jung or Freud mentioned was so important, because 99% of the time I don't recall any details small enough to be symbolic, there's just an obvious desire/fear component to them that is rather abstract in nature.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
119 Posts
My dominant Ni gives me laser-sharp precision in analyzing my own dreams. I don't often tell anyone what I've figured out, because it usually cuts straight to the heart of whatever problem I am having at the time >.> I'm able to rapidly deconstruct a dream on many different levels, intuitively, and then bring all the elements into a cohesive whole.

Maybe my dreams would be really obvious to anyone else too, though ... But, I feel confident in my ability to analyze other people's dreams as well, if they're willing to give me context about their lives. (Otherwise any interpretation is so abstract as to be irrelevant and misleading.)

Honestly, Ne doesn't make very much sense to me. Conceptually yes, but functionally? How could you ever come to any conclusions with it? >______< (of course, that is the point as far as I can tell, it's not about *concluding* anything!)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I have a passing interest in looking at my dreams as in I often write mine down and see if I can get any impressions off it right away about what it might mean. But if it doesn't remind me of anything, I don't spend time on it.
I'm on the Se/Ni axis:)

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe my dreams would be really obvious to anyone else too, though ... But, I feel confident in my ability to analyze other people's dreams as well, if they're willing to give me context about their lives. (Otherwise any interpretation is so abstract as to be irrelevant and misleading.)

Honestly, Ne doesn't make very much sense to me. Conceptually yes, but functionally? How could you ever come to any conclusions with it? >______< (of course, that is the point as far as I can tell, it's not about *concluding* anything!)
I ask this because like you, I like to interpret other people's dreams, I don't add any magical beliefs, special power etc. Its more like the ability to take an abstract concept and attempt to work out what it is really saying about a person's state of mind. One could say this is Ne exploring ideas or coming up with interpretations, I do seem to score relatively high on Ni though.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I ask this because like you, I like to interpret other people's dreams, I don't add any magical beliefs, special power etc. Its more like the ability to take an abstract concept and attempt to work out what it is really saying about a person's state of mind. One could say this is Ne exploring ideas or coming up with interpretations, I do seem to score relatively high on Ni though.
Well, I definitely do that as well... I just know the nature of dreams from a scientific standpoint. It's funny how dreams can be pretty obvious sometimes. You don't have to really go way deep to find so called "meaning". Again, I don't know if this at all relates to functions.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I definitely do that as well... I just know the nature of dreams from a scientific standpoint. It's funny how dreams can be pretty obvious sometimes. You don't have to really go way deep to find so called "meaning". Again, I don't know if this at all relates to functions.
So really it all possibly points to Ne usage then and considering you are an Ne dom. As you earlier mentioned, its the way one goes about analysing a dream, the steps taken. It would be interesting to understand people's thought process/how they go about deciphering a dream.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I wouldn't say its only Ne. But I think there is a good amount of Intuition in general involved since Intuition is the function that 'sees' the unconscious. The Jungians who do dream analysis well tend or tended to be Intuitives (Jung, Von Franz, Boa, Beebe, etc). Dream analysis is a central component of Jungian psychology, but I'm not sure that only an Intuitive dominant could be good at this, I just think an Extraverted Sensation type would be less likely to be overly interested in it or would probably have to rely more on some other function for analysis like Thinking.

Here Von Franz talks about the pattern of dreams people have over a lifetime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts